Player Discussion Draisaitl - what makes him a prolific goal scorer?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
There are great explanations and examples in this thread.

There is one thing that was touched upon concerning his accuracy and high intelligence. Draisaitl has an elite ability to focus and then quickly change focus. You can see it in his eyes and the results.

It's easier to give an example in a baseball setting. Imagine you are a shortstop with accuracy issues. Your coach asks you what you throw at after you scoop up a ground ball. You reply, "George, the first baseman."

Your coach tells you that you are doing it all wrong then. You don't aim for George. You aim at the little spot in the middle of George, just below his ribcage. Where that tiny little spot of color is on his logo. Focus on that and let everything else blur. Now, many people cant focus that quickly or that well so you can wait until that big fat glove target gets thrown out there for you. Don't aim for that. Aim for that little bump in the middle of the glove. Focus.

So Draisaitl doesn't aim at the net or a region. He appears to aim at little spots inside the net. Amazingly he can shift that elite focus from accepting a pass to aiming at said little spot in less than a blink of an eye. That heavily contributes to his high shooting percentage.

To process information that fast is pretty incredible.
A better example is his compatriot, for Germany, Klose. A long list of players are better but who has more goals. The player that can instantly recognize a spot, how to get there, whats happening, how to tap one in, what it requires to get a goal in a situation. Player had incredible game moment recognition in scoring areas. Like Draisaitl.

tbh I didn't understand your example. Baseball is about as unlike hockey as Mars is to the Earth. Soccer is relational like hockey in form, just more players and bigger pitch and goals.

Drai has spot to spot recognition. He isn't scoring all his goals from a rote spot. Sure he's great from that spot but he can change up as required and his preternatural danger is his hockey reads, and scoring chance reads. A bell goes off in Drais head before everybody else. Thats what Klose is like. He gets to that loose ball before anybody else and recognizes the ball could end up there. His last goal against Brazil is typical of the player and what separates him from the pack. He parries a close in shot to get the rebound, then slots the rebound home. Who would do that? Klose was also clinical in recognizing where his shot had to go. Like Drai.

i encourage people to watch Drai and think about his game much more. So many of his goals happen after previous chances. That he gets multiple chances in sequences despite every team knowing how dangerous he is and committing coverage to him speaks volumes about his ability to cloak in and out of scoring spots and change them up which hasn't even been mentioned. Nor has his Stop pass, shoot quick wizard play from center slot. Few other players have ever had the hand eye to do that play. Its the hockey equivalent of a bicycle kick goal.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
With the puck he's a horse with elite vision and passing: tough to stop at full gallop, but also likes to slow down puck-protect, and look to setup plays esp. when he draws a 2nd defender.

Without the puck he's deceptive. Floats around, hangs around, & finds open ice.

Rarely misses the net or flubs shots. Absolutely deadly player on 2on1's & PP.

Doesn't expend energy with frantic skating North-South or chasing hits. Uses his teammates and finishes when they set him up. He'll quietly have 2 or 3 point nights which speaks to his hockey IQ over physical skills or any flashiness or selfishness.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Fa9CFlWaAAcFP0a

Nuff Said.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
A better example is his compatriot, for Germany, Klose. A long list of players are better but who has more goals. The player that can instantly recognize a spot, how to get there, whats happening, how to tap one in, what it requires to get a goal in a situation. Player had incredible game moment recognition in scoring areas. Like Draisaitl.

tbh I didn't understand your example. Baseball is about as unlike hockey as Mars is to the Earth. Soccer is relational like hockey in form, just more players and bigger pitch and goals.

Drai has spot to spot recognition. He isn't scoring all his goals from a rote spot. Sure he's great from that spot but he can change up as required and his preternatural danger is his hockey reads, and scoring chance reads. A bell goes off in Drais head before everybody else. Thats what Klose is like. He gets to that loose ball before anybody else and recognizes the ball could end up there. His last goal against Brazil is typical of the player and what separates him from the pack. He parries a close in shot to get the rebound, then slots the rebound home. Who would do that? Klose was also clinical in recognizing where his shot had to go. Like Drai.

i encourage people to watch Drai and think about his game much more. So many of his goals happen after previous chances. That he gets multiple chances in sequences despite every team knowing how dangerous he is and committing coverage to him speaks volumes about his ability to cloak in and out of scoring spots and change them up which hasn't even been mentioned. Nor has his Stop pass, shoot quick wizard play from center slot. Few other players have ever had the hand eye to do that play. Its the hockey equivalent of a bicycle kick goal.

Most of what you stated was already mentioned in the thread. That is why my post mentioned how there were already other great explanations and examples. I just tried to add to those.

You need to focus. Not breeze on by so much. ;)

His ability to change elite focus from receiving a pass (fielding a grounder - the ball) to focusing on a spot in the net (throwing to a spot at first base) is very elite (one-timer). The amount of information one needs to process that quickly is very rare. This is what the OP asked. Where does his goal scoring come from.

It comes from everything else everyone has mentioned (including you) and his elite ability to focus and re-focus in a miniscule amount of time.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Most of what you stated was already mentioned in the thread. That is why my post mentioned how there were already other great explanations and examples. I just tried to add to those.

You need to focus. Not breeze on by so much. ;)

His ability to change elite focus from receiving a pass (fielding a grounder - the ball) to focusing on a spot in the net (throwing to a spot at first base) is very elite (one-timer). The amount of information one needs to process that quickly is very rare. This is what the OP asked. Where does his goal scoring come from.

It comes from everything else everyone has mentioned (including you) and his elite ability to focus and re-focus in a miniscule amount of time.
haha, sorry, just the mention of baseball gets me going. Who do I play to? If you're as bad as me at Baseball you just throw the ball to 2nd or third automatically on a hit. No way i'm getting an out at first, and really for little league ball it seldom happens. As bad as I was at baseball if I hit the ball anywhere I was gaining first. I was also stealing 2nd and third after. for fun. Its just so easy to do if you can run and have decent acceleration. Half the time I was trying to steal 2nd I'd end up on third as the attempted pitch to get me out flew somewhere in the backfield. Sometimes I'd try for home. Experiences like that got me to thinking baseball was the stupidest sport I played as a kid. It was my worst sport and yet I could make any team if I even cared to. Even got better at hitting. No so much fielding.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I thought he only scores goals because of Mcdavid?
You really should stop reading the Leafs board ;)

With the puck he's a horse with elite vision and passing: tough to stop at full gallop, but also likes to slow down puck-protect, and look to setup plays esp. when he draws a 2nd defender.

Without the puck he's deceptive. Floats around, hangs around, & finds open ice.

Rarely misses the net or flubs shots. Absolutely deadly player on 2on1's & PP.

Doesn't expend energy with frantic skating North-South or chasing hits. Uses his teammates and finishes when they set him up. He'll quietly have 2 or 3 point nights which speaks to his hockey IQ over physical skills or any flashiness or selfishness.
And I think his conservation of energy leads to the "Lazy Leon" moniker. A lot of people misunderstand how he plays the game, thinking that he only floats around for easy tap-ins from McDavid. You should post this informative piece in the mains. If, of course, it's at their level of reading comprehension :D

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

While I don't disagree, I think if you are going to football route the best comparable is Muller because he's a much more cerebral player than Klose and can do more, as Drai is also considered to be a very high IQ player. Not dissing Klose as that era of Germany's national team is my favourite with Ballack and Podo, but Muller is much more complete player and I think there's a fairly short list of players that can play the way he is asked to both by Bayern and the national squad. There is actually some interesting videos on Youtube about his unique position - the Raumdeuter.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
While I don't disagree, I think if you are going to football route the best comparable is Muller because he's a much more cerebral player than Klose and can do more. Not dissing Klose as that era of Germany's national team is my favourite with Ballack and Podo, but Muller is much more complete player and I think there's a fairly short list of players that can play the way he is asked to both by Bayern and the national squad. There is actually some interesting videos on Youtube about his unique position - the Raumdeuter.
Fair comment. In fairness to me most of my viewing of the respective players has been World Cup or Euro. Muller has been non stellar in that regard for a longtime and really one of the reasons Germany hasn't been much since 2014 when Klose last played for Germany in a World Cup.

I like Muller until I dislike him and that seems commonplace. He sure has his detractors and his antics being one reason. Muller was huge for Germany in 2010, 2014, but he's failed since. Pretty much my constant memory of him now is his hands on his heads after yet another blown chance or him falling down like he was shot and gesticulating. tbh I can't stand him anymore.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Fair comment. In fairness to me most of my viewing of the respective players has been World Cup or Euro. Muller has been non stellar in that regard for a longtime and really one of the reasons Germany hasn't been much since 2014 when Klose last played for Germany in a World Cup.

I like Muller until I dislike him and that seems commonplace. He sure has his detractors and his antics being one reason. Muller was huge for Germany in 2010, 2014, but he's failed since. Pretty much my constant memory of him now is his hands on his heads after yet another blown chance or him falling down like he was shot and gesticulating. tbh I can't stand him anymore.
That's understandable but also funny you mention it because sometimes I feel the same way about Drai when he nutshots people or does some of his antics. Yeah I was depressed when they lost to SK, but could be worse - could be an Italy fan and watch the team miss completely :laugh:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
fantastic interview on the "32 Thoughts" podcast with Friedman and Marek
really grown into a great leader

What a beast he is. Most players just become useless when they lose mobility. Drai was still elite, and he comes back in this interview noting that under experience showed him he can improve his game by slowing the game more at opportune moments.

Like Jesus christ, what a special player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad