Player Discussion Draisaitl - what makes him a prolific goal scorer?

Bud Buddington

Dec 20, 2014
Toronto
Leafs fan in peace. I watched the goal scoring race with great interest this year, but unfortunately didn’t actually get to see much of Draisait’s actual play. I only really watched his stats as they climbed. I’m curious… what are his attributes that make him such a prolific goal scorer? Is it shot accuracy, quickness, being in the right place at the right time, other?

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
He doesn’t dust the puck off and has great accuracy. Oh and that paddle......

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He's accurate with a really hard shot, but he doesn't have the mechanics and dynamics that guys like Matthews/Ovechkin do where they can drag and shoot 'around' people. Draisaitl is straight forward, he doesn't have the toe drags and stuff or the smoothness like they do.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Leafs fan in peace. I watched the goal scoring race with great interest this year, but unfortunately didn’t actually get to see much of Draisait’s actual play. I only really watched his stats as they climbed. I’m curious… what are his attributes that make him such a prolific goal scorer? Is it shot accuracy, quickness, being in the right place at the right time, other?
Probably took more time to type this post than go watch one of the 1000 youtube vids

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
He's accurate with a really hard shot, but he doesn't have the mechanics and dynamics that guys like Matthews/Ovechkin do where they can drag and shoot 'around' people. Draisaitl is straight forward, he doesn't have the toe drags and stuff or the smoothness like they do.

The other issue is that he often stops up and looks to pass to the trailer rather than taking the puck and driving straight to the net. I wish that he had more of a net-driving, shooting mentality of guys like Matthews and even Pastrnak.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Draisaitl thinks the game at an elite level, very good shot accuracy and velocity. He has a deceptive release, is an elite passer so you always have to respect the pass unless it is on a one time pass going to him which he will shoot 90+% of the time. Not the same level of shot as Matthews IMO, but a much better passer if you are looking for a comp to someone you know well. IMO Matthews has more velocity on his shot, but also shoots a lot more than Drasiaitl does which is why he likely has a lower shooting % and obviously why he has more shots and goals/game. Matthews is a straight up cold blooded sniper, while Leon can kill you either by scoring himself or by setting up his teammates with sublime passes or even on the PK. Draisaitl for my $ is one of the most complete forwards in the game and one of the smartest.

Draisaitl's last 4 seasons shooting % and sog:
21.65% 231
19.7% 218
18.5% 168
20% 275

Matthews last 4 seasons shooting % and sog
14.74% 251
16.2% 290
18.5% 222
17.2 348

Draisaitl's Last 4 Seasons GP/Goals:
82gp. 50
71gp. 43
56gp. 31
79gp. 55
Total = 288gp. 179 Goals

Matthews' Last 4 Seasons GP/Goals:
68gp. 37
70gp. 47
52gp. 41
73gp. 60
Total = 263gp. 185 Goals

It is literally insane that Draisaitl is around the 20% shooting % year after year for 4 years straight.

Bud Buddington

Dec 20, 2014
Toronto
Probably took more time to type this post than go watch one of the 1000 youtube vids
I’m asking this board because you guys know him better than I will by watching a few YouTube vids. One of my favourite things about watching my team is getting to know the subtleties of what make my favourite players special. That’s what I was looking for here… insights that you’ve come to have by watching him every night

Bud Buddington

Dec 20, 2014
Toronto
Draisaitl thinks the game at an elite level, very good shot accuracy and velocity. He has a deceptive release, is an elite passer so you always have to respect the pass unless it is on a one time pass going to him which he will shoot 90+% of the time. Not the same level of shot as Matthews IMO, but a much better passer if you are looking for a comp to someone you know well. IMO Matthews has more velocity on his shot, but also shoots a lot more than Drasiaitl does which is why he likely has a lower shooting % and obviously why he has more shots and goals/game. Matthews is a straight up cold blooded sniper, while Leon can kill you either by scoring himself or by setting up his teammates with sublime passes or even on the PK. Draisaitl for my $ is one of the most complete forwards in the game and one of the smartest.

21.65% 231
19.7% 218
18.5% 168
20% 275

14.74% 251
16.2% 290
18.5% 222
17.2 348

82gp. 50
71gp. 43
56gp. 31
79gp. 55
Total = 288gp. 179 Goals

68gp. 37
70gp. 47
52gp. 41
73gp. 60
Total = 263gp. 185 Goals

It is literally insane that Draisaitl is around the 20% shooting % year after year for 4 years straight.
That sh% is awesome

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
The thing that makes Draisaitls one timer so deadly is the angle he usually shoots it at, and is accurate enough to almost always put it in just inside the post from that sharp angle. Or as the goalie comes across the crease in pure desperation that puck basically goes in off of the tendy. He doesn’t have a wrist shot like Matthews but I’d say he’s just a “smarter” goal scorer, not saying better.

Reactions: oilers'72

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Thanks for those vids. That one from below the goal line is bonkers. His stick seems to have ZERO flex. What a beast
These are not flukes. In about his fourth year in the league you could see an evolution in how he approached the game. He clearly saw that playing with McDavid, if he could improve his shot, it would really pay off. Shooting from near the goal line became something he really practiced. Watching warmups he would regularly take feeds from McDavid from those ridiculous angles. His ability to put the puck in from those steep angles is really quite remarkable. But it is also a product of hard work.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I’m asking this board because you guys know him better than I will by watching a few YouTube vids. One of my favourite things about watching my team is getting to know the subtleties of what make my favourite players special. That’s what I was looking for here… insights that you’ve come to have by watching him every night

Sorry you got a rude reply to an honest question. Personally I think it is always welcoming when other fans make such inquiries and would hope Oiler fans receive similar, positive responses when curious to reach out and ask about players on other teams.

Personally, I've watched Draisaitl play live since his WHL days in Prince Albert. Thought he would project into more of a big, power forward centre type with elite distributor ability and a 30-35 goal scoring rate. His game is obviously driven by super elite hockey sense and drive to become an elite player. I think his goal scoring was propelled by opportunity on team without elite scoring playing so much early in career on McDavid's wing who's penetrating game created open ice for Draisaitl to find soft ice and bury opportunities. Draisaitl's release is absolutely elite in the world and he not only gets his shot away fast but accurately on net.

The sum total of Draisaitl's game, size, strength, elite processor, elite scoring and distributing abilities, face-off and tough minute defending in 5 v 3 short-handed situations stands this player in extremely rare company among the game's best players. Centre/wing versatility adds valuable Swiss Army knife versatility which sees Draisaitl shift to lethal finisher on PP and in-game situations where the Oil need to hunt for goals.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This post is so wrong its incredible. Yes, Drai does have shake and bake moves if not being able to hold onto the puck in traffic and do amazing things with the puck, and getting into scoring position himself, or passing the puck. The Notion that Drai doesn't have these is half baked. Drai isn't DEPENDENT on juke box moves and lacrosse moves and toe drags because his cerebral game and anticipation and owning hockey doesn't require these things as much.

Plus, think about it. Why would somebody need to toe drag, which is a poor percentage play when they can control the puck adeptly with two checkers hanging off them and still make a play. The last sentence kind of underlying my whole point. Drai is unstoppable in what he does and does not need gimmicks as a result.

Reactions: Porkleaker

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

21.65% 231
19.7% 218
18.5% 168
20% 275

14.74% 251
16.2% 290
18.5% 222
17.2 348

82gp. 50
71gp. 43
56gp. 31
79gp. 55
Total = 288gp. 179 Goals

68gp. 37
70gp. 47
52gp. 41
73gp. 60
Total = 263gp. 185 Goals

SNET had an article about Drai vs other shooters a few weeks ago. Gist of it was that Drai is very selective shooter unlike Matthews or Ovechkin.

If he shot as much as them, even with a slight drop in SH%, he'd likely outscore them or at the very least, keep pace.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
SNET had an article about Drai vs other shooters a few weeks ago. Gist of it was that Drai is very selective shooter unlike Matthews or Ovechkin.

If he shot as much as them, even with a slight drop in SH%, he'd likely outscore them or at the very least, keep pace.

Will have to look for that article! Personally, I think the centre/wing versatility also plays into this. On the PP, he's the elite finisher to McDavid's slashing game that breaks down defences and enables Draisaitl and others to slip into soft ice that get high quality shot looks. Same when this team runs the Nuclear option. When Draisaitl drives his own line, he's often required to play a power game in hard areas and is a higher distributor option with his elite passing skills feeding scoring opportunities for his wingers.

Draisaitl's elite abilities cross across two positions and with also elite finishing and distribution touch among the league's best in both categories. He doesn't necessarily put up the volume shooting numbers of one of the best sniping wingers in NHL history, Ovechkin or top line centre fixture Matthews who plays with a passing winger.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Draisaitl was chosen by the players as the best passer in the league and I think they got this right. Regardless of his goal totals I'd still call him a pass first player in most situations outside of the pp. It is a tribute to how good of a goal scorer he has become that he is second only to Matthews over the last three years combined in goals despite being pass first.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Had to dig to find a Leon player discussion thread.

Amazing pic of one ankle Drai in this series

FTk47dDVEAU9pP7

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
There are great explanations and examples in this thread.

There is one thing that was touched upon concerning his accuracy and high intelligence. Draisaitl has an elite ability to focus and then quickly change focus. You can see it in his eyes and the results.

It's easier to give an example in a baseball setting. Imagine you are a shortstop with accuracy issues. Your coach asks you what you throw at after you scoop up a ground ball. You reply, "George, the first baseman."

Your coach tells you that you are doing it all wrong then. You don't aim for George. You aim at the little spot in the middle of George, just below his ribcage. Where that tiny little spot of color is on his logo. Focus on that and let everything else blur. Now, many people cant focus that quickly or that well so you can wait until that big fat glove target gets thrown out there for you. Don't aim for that. Aim for that little bump in the middle of the glove. Focus.

So Draisaitl doesn't aim at the net or a region. He appears to aim at little spots inside the net. Amazingly he can shift that elite focus from accepting a pass to aiming at said little spot in less than a blink of an eye. That heavily contributes to his high shooting percentage.

To process information that fast is pretty incredible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad