Player Discussion Draisaitl - what makes him a prolific goal scorer?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Draisaitl would be such a great captain. Even though Connor leads the way on the ice, Leon seems like the best leader in the room.
I wondered why Av fans defended Landeskog as captain over MacKinnon for the same reasons.

Almost like a good-cop-bad-cop dynamic.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Used to help my mom make it. Lots of prep work but totally worth it.:thumbu:
We've really varied and changed up some of the recipe. A good heady mustard and pickles seems to be a required staple but when making it (we do in a casserole in oven, we're also heavy on the garden fresh onions and will even thrown in some cherry tomatoes and diced garden peppers and whatever fancy in there to make it pop. If its possible to improve on rouladen fresh harvest veggies will do just that. Nice also with a garden root vegetable medley. Something like Red beets, Kohlrabi, carrots braised in a frying pan together. Other side could be fresh potato dish.

hemskysuncle

Nov 2, 2007
Drai has so many tools and is so good that whenever he actually makes a mistake, it drives me nuts and I have this feeling he is having the worst game of his life :D

As a goal scorer, everyone has said pretty much what the situation is. Accurate, quick release, pushing the boundaries with impossible angles and blah blah.

It might have already been said (I didn't read the details of every reply...) but I wonder how many goals come from his insane ability to not get knocked off the puck. I compare him to Jagr in that way all the time. He is so hard to knock off the puck that, with defenders on him, he can work himself into positions to score, not through dipsy-doodle skill (which he has enough but not all-world levels), but simply by fighting off the defender. Along with that, the defender has to think "do I attack? or do i hang back?" because of his truly all-world passing. He is considered by the players to be the best passer in the league. He was already last year but it took time for the players to realize it I guess ;) So not only do you have the best passer - a huge threat to a defender and the goaltender, you also have one of the hardest guys to knock off the puck, AND one of the most accurate shooters in the league. You can't get the puck from him, you can't block the pass because he will shoot, and you can't play the shot because he will pass. He is simply dangerous as soon as his stride his the hashmarks in his own end. Oh and that reminds me of his surprising speed. He never looks like he is going fast but still blows by defenders constantly.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
As great as Drai is, I just watched the McDavid vid on his own thread. And playing with Connor sure helps to make you a tremendous goal scorer.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Screenshot_20220913_160909.jpg

Las Vegas

Reactions: oilers'72

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
As great as Drai is, I just watched the McDavid vid on his own thread. And playing with Connor sure helps to make you a tremendous goal scorer.
Ovi has had Backstrom & Kuznetzov, Stammer had Lecavalier St. Louis Kucherov, Matthews has Marner.

Great goal scorers generally have great passers :)

(Not that McDavid isn’t a tier above)

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Ovi has had Backstrom & Kuznetzov, Stammer had Lecavalier St. Louis Kucherov, Matthews has Marner.

Great goal scorers generally have great passers :)

(Not that McDavid isn’t a tier above)
Actually, Draisaitl's main winger last year was Yamamoto. The fact that he managed 55 goals with Yamamoto was astounding. As I've said before, imagine if Draisaitl had regular access to an elite playmaking winger the caliber of Marner, Gaudreau, Huberdeau, P. Kane, etc.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Actually, Draisaitl's main winger last year was Yamamoto. The fact that he managed 55 goals with Yamamoto was astounding. As I've said before, imagine if Draisaitl had regular access to an elite playmaking winger the caliber of Marner, Gaudreau, Huberdeau, P. Kane, etc.
Yes siiiiir. He would be 65g 65a

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Draisaitl would be such a great captain. Even though Connor leads the way on the ice, Leon seems like the best leader in the room.

I think this is one of those things that really doesn't matter.

If you deserve the letter, you don't need the letter, imo.

Reactions: ujju2

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
The guy literally got 55-55 last year. 10 more of each isn’t a big stretch playing behind McD and also having a top 5 winger on his line + McD PP time would not be an exaggeration tbh
At 5vs5 Draisaitl doesn't really score much more goals with or without McDavid. His assists rates go up very significantly when he plays with him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad