Draisaitl vs Aho

Who is worth more?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Draisaitl. Until Aho shows he can hit 70 points and shows he can play C, it's hard to argue he's worth more than Drai. That said, I doubt either team would trade 1 for the other.

Reactions: A91 and DaveG
Dec 30, 2013
Meh tough teams have come up. Ran into Boston and Washington. Playoff problems. You'll understand once you get there

Were you even alive the last time your team won the Cup?

Since the full season lockout, Toronto has made playoffs three times and had three first round exists.

In the same time period, the Hurricanes made playoffs twice, winning the Cup once and getting to the Conference Finals the second time.

I'll take that latter option despite it involving fewer playoff appearances

Reactions: Trilliann

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I rather take a cost-controlled Aho, who was the best player on his team.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Aho in terms of pure offensive skills, defensively it's not all that close considering Drai can match up with a #1C and do a pretty good job on him while pitching in offensively. Contracts should not be compared until Aho signs his first deal which will likely be around $6-7.5m a year. Centre > winger almost always, the fact Drai plays both is nice. I think it's close but I'd lean towards Drai.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Aho for sure. There is not one area he is not better in than Draisaitl except having less experience, which actually means more room to develop. Many people will be very surprised when Aho shows his peak.

He is already awesome and the absolute leader in his team, playing top opposition and still dominating, despite being a bit undersized and having only 2 seasons in the NHL.

Once he truly hits his stride and gets top level support (Teravainen is not exactly tier 1 talent) only God knows what he's capably of. But it's certainly way more than what Draistal can ever do, that much is for sure.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Aho for sure. There is not one area he is not better in than Draisaitl except having less experience, which actually means more room to develop. Many people will be very surprised when Aho shows his peak.

He is already awesome and the absolute leader in his team, playing top opposition and still dominating, despite being a bit undersized and having only 2 seasons in the NHL.

Once he truly hits his stride and gets top level support (Teravainen is not exactly tier 1 talent) only God knows what he's capably of. But it's certainly way more than what Draistal can ever do, that much is for sure.

I mean Draisaitl is bigger, stronger and better defensively than Aho at this point and I don't see how that can be denied.

Too close to call for me, need to see Aho at center a little more

Reactions: CycloneSweep

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
I mean Draisaitl is bigger, stronger and better defensively than Aho at this point and I don't see how that can be denied.

Too close to call for me, need to see Aho at center a little more

Draisatl is bigger and stronger yes, that's a no-brainer. But Aho is better defensively in my opinion.

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg

Okay Draisaitl has outscored Aho substantially over the last two years, he is WAY better at faceoffs and could definitely be considered better defensively.

It is not unreasonable to suggest that Aho’s value is higher (though I personally disagree) but it is A LOT closer than you suggest. Besides, Draisaitl has in my book been much more dominant than Aho so far, even though Aho is younger.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
They'd be close value wise i suppose. A lot would need to be considered for each team to determine the higher value.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
As a Canes fan who thinks Aho is fantastic, I'm struggling to find a reason why Aho's value would be higher than Drais TODAY. Yeah, I know Drai has a higher Salary, but Aho's going to have a very high salary very soon.

Drai has outproduced Aho and Drai plays C. If Aho starts playing C and becomes a 70+ point player, I'll reconsider it, but as of now, Drai has more value than Aho IMO. Like I said earlier though, I doubt either team would trade one for the other.

Reactions: DaveG and McJazz

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Folks, this is the same guy that thinks Matthews is superior to McDavid and that Crosby is better than Gordon Howe.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Drai. It's close but clear for me.

Why are people talking about 67 in here hahah

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Both can play center but their points have come playing as a winger. Then there's age.

Aho "Can" play C, Drai "has" played C (even though he's spent time on the W).

And looking at age:
Draft +1: Aho 49P, Drai: 51 P
Draft +2: Aho 64P, Drai 77P

Aho is my favorite player and I think he "can" be as valuable as Drai, but we are talking about value right now and to me, the edge goes to Drai.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Draisaitl, though I think we’re talking Kane vs Kopitar here long term.

Drai is big, fast, strong, skilled, and has a nasty streak a lot of people don’t know about. He was also 56% on draws last year and got half his points playing with orange traffic cones like Lucic.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Draisaitl, though I think we’re talking Kane vs Kopitar here long term.

Drai is big, fast, strong, skilled, and has a nasty streak a lot of people don’t know about. He was also 56% on draws last year and got half his points playing with orange traffic cones like Lucic.

Would've gotten way more points if the PP wasn't utter garbage under Woodcrap too.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Aho "Can" play C, Drai "has" played C (even though he's spent time on the W).

And looking at age:
Draft +1: Aho 49P, Drai: 51 P
Draft +2: Aho 64P, Drai 77P

Aho is my favorite player and I think he "can" be as valuable as Drai, but we are talking about value right now and to me, the edge goes to Drai.

He reminds me of Kucherov a bit. I don't see him as a center going forward but I could be wrong. Positional value is often overstated anyway. He could wind up the better player playing on the wing.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Aho. I think he's going to be a force in this league give a few years and I would be surprised if he was not converted to center permanently. Draisaitl has been more productive when looking at the D+x, however hasn't he spent a large proportions of that time with McDavid? Meanwhile Aho has had Jordan Staal and Teuvo Teräväinen as his line mates, of which neither are exactly really first tier players..

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Folks, this is the same guy that thinks Matthews is superior to McDavid and that Crosby is better than Gordon Howe.

I've never said that Matthews is superior to McDavid, only that he is at the moment hugely underrated.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
I've never said that Matthews is superior to McDavid, only that he is at the moment hugely underrated.

Uh, yes you did.

Agree with the OP. Guys like Crosby, Malkin and Matthews are on the same level as McD

Matthews has at least the same potential, but he just had rought time with injuries so far. I belive in the next season he should hit a new top level which could surpass even McDavid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad