Who would you build a team around.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
If you asked me in January I would say MacKinnon in a heartbeat, AINEC.

There was always certain doubts people had in Draisaitl's game. Particularly away from McDavid. And they were justifiable to a degree.
There was absolutely NO doubt about MacKinnons game for the past 2 seasons.

That said, Now? After Drai carried the Oilers away from McD on his own line?
mmmMmmmmm........

I can see people wanting to see Draisaitl do it for 2 seasons.. but lets be honest here.

NOBODY ever gave Drai the benefit of the doubt.

Did anyone think he could score 50?
Was he even in the Art Ross / Hart discussion before this season?

NOPE!
We all thought the start of the year was an abberation like Rantanen last season.

Thing is, Draisaitl keeps proving me wrong, and proving me wrong, and proving me wrong. And I'm his BIGGEST fan, and an Oiler Homer.

So I'm voting Drai, in a vote I'm positive he will lose.
I'll watch to see if any of you guys re-think how close this is in a couple more years.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
It'll be interesting to see the spin for MacKinnon if Drai wins the Hart and/or the Lindsay.

It's going to start getting a lot more difficult to argue intangibles when one player has back to back 100 point campaigns, a 50 goal season (and a 43 goal season that best Mac's career best), an Art Ross and potentially one or both of the significant individual awards and the other player lacks...well all of these.

Drai has played well enough over the past two seasons (and not too shabby before that, he does after all have four consecutive 70+ point seasons) to earn him the vote over MacKinnon.

hockeyisgud

Feb 5, 2016
Who do I take moving forward. There was a poll including Drai and Matthews recently. Here's my very sensible and logical way of ranking who I take moving forward between the 3.

Matthews over Mack
Drai over Matthews
Mack over Drai

Somehow - this makes sense in my head.
I lold

Reactions: sethro109

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It'll be interesting to see the spin for MacKinnon if Drai wins the Hart and/or the Lindsay.

It's going to start getting a lot more difficult to argue intangibles when one player has back to back 100 point campaigns, a 50 goal season (and a 43 goal season that best Mac's career best), an Art Ross and potentially one or both of the significant individual awards and the other player lacks...well all of these.

Drai has played well enough over the past two seasons (and not too shabby before that, he does after all have four consecutive 70+ point seasons) to earn him the vote over MacKinnon.

I don’t know if winning a hart changes much in terms of people’s opinion on this, since that’s pretty much expected.

They’re pretty close in terms of what they bring imo. Draisaitl had the better year, so if that puts him above MacKinnon for some, fine by me.

MacKinnon plays a more exciting style, so that’s naturally going to give him the edge for some fans. I think these two will be in the same tier for a while and the debate will go back and forth throughout their careers.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Ultra Homer vote for Draisaitl. But MacKinnon deserves credit for being amazing. I just wish the Oilers sucked enough for Draisaitl, McDavid, and MacKinnon

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Ultra Homer vote for Draisaitl. But MacKinnon deserves credit for being amazing. I just wish the Oilers sucked enough for Draisaitl, McDavid, and MacKinnon
I think you've already "sucked enough" you just got the bad luck to draft the BPA at the time :laugh: Boy did we dodge a bullet by losing that 2017 draft to get Makar dang I hope this goes the same with Byram.

Reactions: GreeningOil

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If you asked me in January I would say MacKinnon in a heartbeat, AINEC.

There was always certain doubts people had in Draisaitl's game. Particularly away from McDavid. And they were justifiable to a degree.
There was absolutely NO doubt about MacKinnons game for the past 2 seasons.

That said, Now? After Drai carried the Oilers away from McD on his own line?
mmmMmmmmm........

I can see people wanting to see Draisaitl do it for 2 seasons.. but lets be honest here.

NOBODY ever gave Drai the benefit of the doubt.

Did anyone think he could score 50?
Was he even in the Art Ross / Hart discussion before this season?

NOPE!
We all thought the start of the year was an abberation like Rantanen last season.

Thing is, Draisaitl keeps proving me wrong, and proving me wrong, and proving me wrong. And I'm his BIGGEST fan, and an Oiler Homer.

So I'm voting Drai, in a vote I'm positive he will lose.
I'll watch to see if any of you guys re-think how close this is in a couple more years.

This is basically how I'm feeling. I always had doubts about Draisaitl's ability to drive offense at an elite level as a center. I knew he was better than the stats away from McDavid suggested (no one is turning a 60 point player into a 100 point player), but I didn't know if he could put up huge numbers. The underlying defensive numbers the past 2 seasons were also concerning. The way he played with RNH and Yamamoto though really cemented the idea that he could be the centerpiece of his own line, put up huge numbers and be defensively sound. That player could be the best player in the league, and I would take him over MacKinnon. And this time I want to believe in him and say he can keep it up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad