Draisaitl (8 years/$8.5 mil per) vs. Pastrnak (6 years/$6.667 mil per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Pastrnak AINEC. This is a prime example of why Boston fired Chiarelli! Overpays on contracts and sinks teams into cap hell.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I much prefer Draisatl. Nothing against Pasta but i just dont think hes going to be able to produce offense as consistantly as Draisatl. Gimme the number 1 number 2 center.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Draisatly isn't " Better" enough to factor out that ridiculous contract. Pastrnak ainec.

I don't see how it's ridiculous when Pastrnak likely gets in the 7.5M+ range if it was 8 years while Drai likely gets in the 7.5M range if it was 6 years. Yeah I know, if if if, but it's pretty obvious that Pasta got the 6 year term because his 8 year term would have been too rich although that's probably a strike against Chia for not getting Drai for 6 years at a more reasonable number.

Either way, the Bruins are happy having their player locked up and the Oilers are happy having their player locked up. That's all that matters even if Draisaitl is slightly overpaid in the short term.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Pastrnak AINEC. This is a prime example of why Boston fired Chiarelli! Overpays on contracts and sinks teams into cap hell.

Can't wait until the Leafs have to lock their youngsters up and have cap issues then the justification from Leafs fans which will surely follow.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB

He helped achieve a cup for the bruins. He helped build a competitive team that made the playoffs consistently and had some deep runs.

I also think Drai is going to be worth every penny of that contract.

I think we see this again in the next 3-5 years with the oilers.

chiarelli-cup.jpg

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't think people realize just how good of a player Draisaitl is (and will be). I've followed this kid since 12/13 and he just continues to impress and get better. While that $8.5M pricetag might look expensive now, I'm confident he will live up to it and quite likely it'll be a below market-value contract sooner rather than later. He's not just some dude riding McDavids coattails. He is a very, very legit player in his own right. He's one of few players that have that insane inner drive to constantly get better. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he broke 90 points in the future. Having him locked up through his entire prime is fantastic.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Can't wait until the Leafs have to lock their youngsters up and have cap issues then the justification from Leafs fans which will surely follow.

Didn't you hear? The Leafs have 'The best cap management in the League'. They know how to circumvent that ****. They got the Wizard in Lou taking care of that. I mean, they are over the cap, yet they are 'wizards' of finding solutions. AmIrite?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
you take the better player 10 times out of 10 no questions asked

i'll be honest, i don't know enough about the 2 of them to say with confidence which is better.

But for anyone voting Pastrnak who thinks Drai is the better player but is voting based on salary - make sure to never try to pursue any career in hockey. I promise you won't get far.

You'd rather Toews $10.5M over say Kadri $4M?

How about Shea Webers $8.7M over Josi $4M?

Kanes $10.5M over Kucherovs $6M?

In a salary cap world it's not as easy as "take the better player", especially when one isn't extremely better than the other.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You'd rather Toews $10.5M over say Kadri $4M?

How about Shea Webers $8.7M over Josi $4M?

Kanes $10.5M over Kucherovs $6M?

In a salary cap world it's not as easy as "take the better player", especially when one isn't extremely better than the other.

yes, considering how Kucherov's has 2 years left on his deal and he's due for a MASSIVE pay raise

one of the problems of bridge contracts (see: PK Subban)

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I'll take Pastrnak because I am a Bruins fan and I am happy he is signed.

Draisaitl is good too, his salary would be harder to fit and have enough cap space for any other moves. I'll take both if I could.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Both deals are good because they are the going rate today for core players, RFA bridge contracts are going away. I think the Oilers did a smart thing buying up UFA years, and really if Draisaitl and the Oil win a cup or 2 in that time. Who cares? Pasta's deal is good too. Falls in line with the Bruin structure of salaries. It also allows him to explore UFA status at 27. Where he may not be a Bruin no more, if he maintains a high level of play. This is like picking steak or lobster for dinner. Also Leon will more than likely be a C soon enough making his cap hit easily acceptable.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Both deals are good because they are the going rate today for core players, RFA bridge contracts are going away. I think the Oilers did a smart thing buying up UFA years, and really if Draisaitl and the Oil win a cup or 2 in that time. Who cares? Pasta's deal is good too. Falls in line with the Bruin structure of salaries. It also allows him to explore UFA status at 27. Where he may not be a Bruin no more, if he maintains a high level of play. This is like picking steak or lobster for dinner. Also Leon will more than likely be a C soon enough making his cap hit easily acceptable.

Drai is a center, slightly better, and overall more valuable. He's worth more, and honestly Edmonton is not a "sexy" market. radical honesty. Plus they had that big Mcdavid contract hanging over his head.

Drai is worth 8.25 and Pasternak is probably worth 7.25.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Drai is a center, slightly better, and overall more valuable. He's worth more, and honestly Edmonton is not a "sexy" market. radical honesty. Plus they had that big Mcdavid contract hanging over his head.

Drai is worth 8.25 and Pasternak is probably worth 7.25.

The goal is to win the cup. When the Pens signed Malkin and Crosby all those years ago to what was huge contracts at the time. They had the same thing in mind as the Oilers are doing. Cups wins will vindicate any criticism in my opinion. Not having to go through contract uncertainty allow players and Mgt to focus on the present. I will be shocked if McDavid and Draisaitl do not win atleast 1 cup in their 8 year terms as Oilers.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Draisaitl AINEC close. Pasta had arguably better line mates as a whole than Draisaitl.

Drai has the extra 2 years on his contract, and he is a large power center compared to small skill winger, and still outproduced said small skill winger.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Draisaitl is better and can play center & wing. He is also locked up for more UFA years.

Drai costs ~1.9M more but you pay for quality

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016

This coming from a team that is ~4.5 million over the cap. :laugh: Can't wait to see what your wizard GM signs his youngsters for now that he can't use loopholes.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Draisaitl is as as good or better offensively, better defensively, bigger, plays center and is signed for 2 more years. If he was signed to a 6 year contract with the same money as Pastrnak, this would be a no contest.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
When did I say otherwise? This discussion is because you took a dumb shot at the leafs rather than defend your own gm

It was a pretty obvious case of throwing stones in glass houses by the Leaf homer, I shouldn't have to explain this to you. The Oilers have ~(+)8 million cap space as of today whereas the Leafs are (-)4.5million. Maybe it would be best to worry about your own team instead of defending shots at ours.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
I think Pasta Snack is being seriously underrated here, but I'm ok with that. He has sick skills and he keeps getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad