Draisaitl (8 years/$8.5 mil per) vs. Pastrnak (6 years/$6.667 mil per)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Pastrnak's contract AINEC. Drai was, and will continue to be proven, a typical overpayment by Chiarelli. That doesn't mean Drai is trash, but he should have gotten something closer to 7-7.5M for 8 years after one good year rather than one of the biggest contracts in the league.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Both great players. I get paying a *bit* more for position and two extra years, but that Pasta contract is just great value.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
you take the better player 10 times out of 10 no questions asked

i'll be honest, i don't know enough about the 2 of them to say with confidence which is better.

But for anyone voting Pastrnak who thinks Drai is the better player but is voting based on salary - make sure to never try to pursue any career in hockey. I promise you won't get far.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Both great young players whose production last year was likely inflated by their linemates.

I think Draisaitl is a better play driver and more versatile. The fact that he's got the longer term helps balance out the AAV. He's overpaid, but regardless I'd still take the better player.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Draisaitl assuming he plays center

If he is not capable of playing center at a high level and is placed on the wing, I take pasternack

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
gimme Pasta. Almost as valuable a player on a much cheaper deal.

Why would you settle for the lesser player though?

Would you trade Hedman for OEL longterm if you could save 1-2M$ capspace?

What about Kucherov for Tarasenko? Or Stamkos vs Tavares (esp 5 years ago as Tavares is probably better now).

how about Malkin Crosby. Would you have taken Malkin on your team instead of Crosby to save 1-2M$ per year?

This doesn't make sense. It's ok to try and save money when you're filing out the rest of your roster, and to make decisions based on cap value. But when you're picking your very core/franchise players to build around, you build around the best player possible for your team.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I'd take Pastrnak even at the same price.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

What about Kucherov for Tarasenko? Or Stamkos vs Tavares (esp 5 years ago as Tavares is probably better now).

how about Malkin Crosby. Would you have taken Malkin on your team instead of Crosby to save 1-2M$ per year?

This doesn't make sense. It's ok to try and save money when you're filing out the rest of your roster, and to make decisions based on cap value. But when you're picking your very core/franchise players to build around, you build around the best player possible for your team.

I mean yeah but Pasta is about as good as Drai only advantage Drai has is he can play center.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

You probably don't know what you have in either of those players. They've both only had one great season each, and neither come with the pedigree of a McDavid to just assume they will continue to play great consistently. If both players go south, I feel like Pastrnak's contract is more digestible than Draisaitl's. Pastrnak is paid appropriately and Draisaitl is overpaid by about $1.5 million as it stands today. However, given the reality of playing on McDavid's team, the Oilers won't lose enough for anyone to make a stink about a potentially bad Draisaitl contract.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You probably don't know what you have in either of those players. They've both only had one great season each, and neither come with the pedigree of a McDavid to just assume they will continue to play great consistently. If both players go south, I feel like Pastrnak's contract is more digestible than Draisaitl's. Pastrnak is paid appropriately and Draisaitl is overpaid by about $1.5 million as it stands today. However, given the reality of playing on McDavid's team, the Oilers won't lose enough for anyone to make a stink about a potentially bad Draisaitl contract.

I mean yeah but Pasta is about as good as Drai only advantage Drai has is he can play center.

ok both those explanations make sense. I just know on HF so many people always vote based on cap space first, better player 2nd. If your argument is that you're not sure which player is better/going to be better, than sure that makes sense. I myself am not even 100% sure which will be the better player (i think Drai).

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
ok both those explanations make sense. I just know on HF so many people always vote based on cap space first, better player 2nd. If your argument is that you're not sure which player is better/going to be better, than sure that makes sense. I myself am not even 100% sure which will be the better player (i think Drai).

Yeah if I had to guess today who will be better, I'd choose Draisaitl too. For the purposes of the poll, I could see either choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad