Dragon Quest XI

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Played about 2 hours yesterday, am enjoying it so far. Guess the main character doesn't talk though?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Really happy with the decision to turn on stronger monsters. I've basically been only fighting the different monsters once or twice each to keep from leveling up too much and the game's been a nice little challenge. I associate difficulty with NES RPG's so going through a cakewalk wouldn't have been as much of a throwback.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Ordered the collectors edition, square enix shipping... why do I put myself through this.

29m3xu9.jpg

When I ordered the Nier Automata collectors edition, it came 7 business days late...

Curse my nerdy ways

giphy.gif

member 157595

If I get a DQ game the rest of the world will cease to exist. I swore I wasn't going to do this but I'm considering getting this on PC at some point.

Stop making me want this game you jerkoffs :laugh:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If I get a DQ game the rest of the world will cease to exist. I swore I wasn't going to do this but I'm considering getting this on PC at some point.

Stop making me want this game you *******s :laugh:

Just gettttt it.

It'll be the last DQ any of us ever play.

Reactions: OmniCube

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Slightly related to the thread, but I have decided to play through all the DQ games, even the crappy ones. Already beat DQ1 & working through DQ2. I actually enjoyed 1, even though it didnt age very well. DQ2 is alot better with the multiple party system.

To the above question if the main character talks, throughout 1 the only time he talked was RIGHT at the end where he declines to be king (sorry for the 31 yr old spoiler there)

member 157595

Slightly related to the thread, but I have decided to play through all the DQ games, even the crappy ones. Already beat DQ1 & working through DQ2. I actually enjoyed 1, even though it didnt age very well. DQ2 is alot better with the multiple party system.

To the above question if the main character talks, throughout 1 the only time he talked was RIGHT at the end where he declines to be king (sorry for the 31 yr old spoiler there)

How are you playing these? I've only played the NES version of DQ2 but it's extremely unbalanced and outright infuriating at times; probably my least favorite in the entire series (though nowhere near as bad as Final Fantasy 2, for example.) DQ1 is so nostalgic it's hard for me to rip on it too much, but playing the original version today is tedious at best.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
How are you playing these? I've only played the NES version of DQ2 but it's extremely unbalanced and outright infuriating at times; probably my least favorite in the entire series. DQ1 is so nostalgic it's hard for me to rip on it too much, but playing the original version today is tedious at best.

IOS. They have all the games in the App Store (EDIT: Seems only 1-8). Seems like the new mobile versions of the game has fixed lot of the balance issues that (seemingly) plagued both 1-3. I don't have anything to compare though but i didn't have any issues in 1.

DQ1 took me a few days to beat (I would say 8 or so hours of play which includes abit of grinding to level up)

EDIT: I know that a few aren't playable or are hard to get it to play (IX & X). For those I most likely will (sadly) skip over. Shall see when the time comes.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
How are you playing these? I've only played the NES version of DQ2 but it's extremely unbalanced and outright infuriating at times; probably my least favorite in the entire series (though nowhere near as bad as Final Fantasy 2, for example.) DQ1 is so nostalgic it's hard for me to rip on it too much, but playing the original version today is tedious at best.

Just play the old games at work in a browser: Play Dragon Quest games online :sarcasm:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Speaking of the silent protagonist though, there's that part in DQ5 later in the game where you flip perspectives and can 'talk' to the child hero as an NPC on the map... and suddenly the 'silent' hero sounds like a little brat.

member 157595

IOS. They have all the games in the App Store (EDIT: Seems only 1-8). Seems like the new mobile versions of the game has fixed lot of the balance issues that (seemingly) plagued both 1-3. I don't have anything to compare though but i didn't have any issues in 1.

DQ1 took me a few days to beat (I would say 8 or so hours of play which includes abit of grinding to level up)

EDIT: I know that a few aren't playable or are hard to get it to play (IX & X). For those I most likely will (sadly) skip over. Shall see when the time comes.

I own a copy of each DQ game I-IX in some form, but my copies of II and III on the NES are relatively rare and I keep them primarily for collection purposes.

If the phone ports are good I'll buy 2 and 3 for Android so I have a way to play these again. Thanks for alerting this old curmudgeon of their presence.

Reactions: X66

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The music really is probably the biggest downfall. Some of it it pretty good but some of it is horrible, including the battle music, the start of the song is cringworthy after listening to it for over 5 hours. I really hope it changes at some point in the game...

Reactions: TheDoldrums

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Ya I don't mind the midi sound at all but there just isn't any catchy tunes, yet. Which is fairly disappointing.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I never played a DQ game (Why do I think blizzards when I think DQ?) What game should I try first in the Dragon Quest franchise?
Never played them either until this one, 11. I recommend it highly. You don't need to have played any of the game before it.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I never played a DQ game (Why do I think blizzards when I think DQ?) What game should I try first in the Dragon Quest franchise?

It kind of depends. Like Final Fantasy none of them are really related to each, but unlike FF they largely keeps the same themes and gameplay. So for the majority of them it depends on the question: do you like playing SNES style JRPG's? In the earlier days while many weren't released in North America they've pretty much all been remastered and re-released for Nintendo's portables.

I'd kind of break them down like this, ignoring 10 which was an MMO:

Primitive:
DQ1 (NES)

NES quality:
DQ2 (NES)
DQ3 (NES)

SNES Quality:
DQ4 (NES)
DQ5 (SNES)
DQ6 (SNES)
DQ7 (PS1)

PS1 Quality:
DQ9 (DS)

Modern Quality:
DQ8 (PS2)
DQ11 (PS4/etc)

Generally I'm not sure how people would rank them, but it's not as hotly contested as say the Final Fantasy series because like I said they're all pretty similar.

member 157595

VIII. You can play it for PS2 and 3DS, and it's one of the finest in the series (IMO, only V is better). I own the PS2 version and it's fantastic. 3DS version added some new features but I don't want to spoil it. If you like turn-based RPG's you will love it.

I haven't yet played XI but thanks to @X66 I'm probably going to get the game and the inevitable divorce that will follow.

Reactions: X66

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
18 hours in...the last time I played a game for 18 hours...literally have no idea, maybe Skyrim? This game is literally the perfect old school JRPG game i have been waiting for forever. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but when i'm done this could fall into the top 3 game of the decade for me..

Reactions: OmniCube and McRpro

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I am starting from the beginning and almost beat Dragon Quest II. If you dont mind old school, I am liking the originals. I actually find DQ1 to be better than DQ2 though (DQ2 can be confusing since it is so large. I'm having to use a guide which I NEVER do in games.)

member 157595

I am starting from the beginning and almost beat Dragon Quest II. If you dont mind old school, I am liking the originals. I actually find DQ1 to be better than DQ2 though (DQ2 can be confusing since it is so large. I'm having to use a guide which I NEVER do in games.)

You're not the only one. Speaking from the perspective of a NES player, DW1 is better than DW2. DW2 is really unbalanced. The third game is completely awesome though and I highly recommend it.

member 157595

18 hours in...the last time I played a game for 18 hours...literally have no idea, maybe Skyrim? This game is literally the perfect old school JRPG game i have been waiting for forever. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but when i'm done this could fall into the top 3 game of the decade for me..

Oh god damn it. :laugh: You guys are going to be responsible for my inevitable divorce...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad