Dragon Quest XI

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The Kotaku review was really good and almost convinced me to buy it now. But then I think about the music.

I mean listen to this garbage. Music is a huge part of RPG's for me and I don't know if I can handle these midis for 100 hours. There are SNES tracks with higher quality.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The Kotaku review was really good and almost convinced me to buy it now. But then I think about the music.

I mean listen to this garbage. Music is a huge part of RPG's for me and I don't know if I can handle these midis for 100 hours. There are SNES tracks with higher quality.

I'm not going to comment on the audio quality because I'm the opposite of an audiophile, but Dragon Quest games have always had simpler OST's that sound like they could come out of a classic symphony orchestra.

Speaking of the Kotaku review a little OT something I've always found interesting comes up when talks about people complaining about the game being easy while at the same time complaining about having to grind. Now I don't agree with his concept that if the game seems 'easy' you just need to find ways to make it hard for yourself, but I'm talking about how in general with RPG's where applicable the players response to a bit of challenge is to just stop and grind it out until the challenge becomes easy.

It's not something I'd do any more, but certainly something I've done in the past. Why do we do that?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Garbage? It's better than 99% of the crap in todays games. Ever noticed when people talk about their favorite music from games its all the OLD stuff and rarely anyone throws in something from a current game...

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Garbage? It's better than 99% of the crap in todays games. Ever noticed when people talk about their favorite music from games its all the OLD stuff and rarely anyone throws in something from a current game...

First of all, no. If people can't appreciate modern soundtracks that's their own nostalgia overriding reason. Second of all I'm talking about the literal audio quality, not the composition. Like the difference between listening to a mp3 at a 320 kbs or 64 kbs. It's just an intentionally terribly low quality recording. The composer purposefully does this to sell CD's and concert tickets in Japan.

Last edited:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Alright, whose jealous?

359zrkj.jpg

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
First of all, no. If people can't appreciate modern soundtracks that's their own nostalgia overriding reason. Second of all I'm talking about the literal audio quality, not the composition. Like the difference between listening to a mp3 at a 320 kbs or 64 kbs. It's just an intentionally terribly low quality recording. The composer purposefully does this to sell CD's and concert tickets in Japan.

Doesn't surprise me. Sugiyama's a garbage person in general.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm not going to comment on the audio quality because I'm the opposite of an audiophile, but Dragon Quest games have always had simpler OST's that sound like they could come out of a classic symphony orchestra.

Compare it with the orchestral version

The composer won't allow the orchestral version be used in-game. I am not sure how Squeenix managed to get the orchestral soundtrack in DQVIII for the US but they were unable to pull it off again it seems.

Thankfully the game is releasing on PC so hopefully a mod fixes that.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Compare it with the orchestral version

The composer won't allow the orchestral version be used in-game. I am not sure how Squeenix managed to get the orchestral soundtrack in DQVIII for the US but they were unable to pull it off again it seems.

Thankfully the game is releasing on PC so hopefully a mod fixes that.

Yeah I wasn't quite sure but responded to that post as if he was complaining about the music itself, which I could see happening from someone who likes the big epic FF music. I didn't know that this was a stunt this composer pulled.

Though while obviously you can tell the difference when putting them side by side I'm still blissfully ignorant and don't recognize the problem if I just listen to the low quality version.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah the Kotaku review definitely made me want to try this game for one last hurrah for JRPGs but I couldn't even finish Octopath...

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Damn steam version isn't released until 10am PST. So much for midnight release on PC, lucky ps4 users....

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Well I got 90 minutes in tonight.

- I was not prepared for how good the graphics are. Screenshots don't really do it justice because the animations and art style just make the world feel so vibrant

nyZzU.jpg

nyMpg.jpg

- A lot of really cool attention to detail I've noticed already. I caught my NPC friend making me a charm she later gives me as I depart the village

nypC8.jpg

- I love how they reuse some old sound effects. When I exited the first cave, it had the same sound as going upstairs in the original DW for the NES that I played when I was 5

- Battle system is pretty fast paced for being turn based

- The music...well I'm still not sold by any means, but hopefully it grows on me. Really the only negative I've found so far.

I'm playing on the stronger monsters difficulty after hearing how many people found the game too easy. I'd recommend starting with some draconian settings, you can always turn them off later if you get frustrated but you can't go from the default settings to the harder ones.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

I like that music but I actually agree. The music really sets the mood. It's actually why I put down Ys VIII. The soundtrack almost made me feel depressed. It was so artificial sounding and generic

I can't explain it but I hate the music so much it's literally the number 1 reason I put the game down and will never continue right ahead of the insanely confusing (and unnecessary) open world

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Going to try and pick this up after classes today. I've been looking forward to this game for quite a while

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah the Kotaku review definitely made me want to try this game for one last hurrah for JRPGs but I couldn't even finish Octopath...
Octopath was very much more of the classic look and battle feel. The story wasn't great because it didn't mesh all 8 characters together easily. I loved the game but can understand why people may not get hooked.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
So far I'm loving the game. Classic JRPG goodness! I had a weird glitch though on PC. The sprint button(L-Shift) would randomly lock on autorun sometimes when used. The only way I could stop it was by alt-tabbing out and back in. Luckily changing the sprint keybind fixed the issue.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Mine is delayed, I have to wait until tomorrow (if I'm lucky) to get it. I'm thinking of cancelling my preorder and just buying the digital copy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad