Draftsite did a 2009 Redraft... I like the results

• Thread starter Granlund2Pulkkinen*
  • Start date

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Despite the success I still feel like we should have more talent on this team especially on D. Not having the pick in 08 and Hishon being hurt set the organization back a tad.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
what do you mean?

Last I checked, Chicago won the cup and we finished 2nd worst in the league. Obviously there are many explanations for this that aren't worth getting into in this thread, but I have to believe that our draft haul in the years 2005-2011 (2008,2010 not withstanding) is as good as any team in the league. And yet, we still finished in the cellar...

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Last I checked, Chicago won the cup and we finished 2nd worst in the league. Obviously there are many explanations for this that aren't worth getting into in this thread, but I have to believe that our draft haul in the years 2005-2011 (2008,2010 not withstanding) is as good as any team in the league. And yet, we still finished in the cellar...

Personally I wouldn't care that much about 48 game season, season before this we were fighting for playoff spot, this is not bottom two team. Sure, It went horrible and hopefully Avalanche players learn something from it, but the best thing happened, we got rid of Sacco, Lacroix. This was great season for us in every way, let's just say perfect. Our future looks 10x better now than 4 months ago, that's the most important thing.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
I prefer Duchene + O'Reilly to OEL

Does this mean you prefer O'Reilly to OEL and Duchene to OEL or you prefer having both Duchene and O'Reilly to OEL.

Because if it's the former, you're being silly. If we could trade O'Reilly straight up for OEL, 28 other GMs in this league will think we got away with highway robbery. If it's the latter, it's sort of an obvious statement.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Does this mean you prefer O'Reilly to OEL and Duchene to OEL or you prefer having both Duchene and O'Reilly to OEL.

Because if it's the former, you're being silly. If we could trade O'Reilly straight up for OEL, 28 other GMs in this league will think we got away with highway robbery. If it's the latter, it's sort of an obvious statement.

I mean both. However I think I misunderstood the point of the thread which at first glance I thought meant it would have been better had it played out that way with us getting OEL. I now think it means it's awesome because we got so much great talent, that looking back should have went higher in the draft.

That said, I wouldn't currently trade Duchene straight up for OEL either. O'Reilly of course.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

Chicago had a total of one playoff round between 97/98 and 07/08. Now, it shouldn't take THAT long in normal cases either, but it surely wont take that long for us.

Christian Litscher

May 24, 2010

Patience.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Taking a look at drafts 2005 and later, we did, on the whole, a great job. What we did with the guys we drafted is a different story, but let's recap:

2005: Drafted Paul Stastny in the second round. Ranked 11th in the redraft.
2006: Drafted Chris Stewart at 18. 7 in the redraft.
2007: Drafted Kevin Shattenkirk at 14. 9 in the redraft. Even TJ Galiardi ended up 21 in the redraft.
2008: Traded away pick for Foote*
2009: Drafted Duchene, O'Reilly, and Barrie. Elliott right there too. All solid picks, especially for where we drafted them. No need to elaborate further.

*Given our record at drafting picks, I think this trade was a major mistake. While I understand the sentimentality of trading to get Foote back, we traded away a chance to draft Eberle, Del Zotto, etc. Maybe for the better, because we became bad enough to draft Duchene, Landeskog, and MacKinnon. But given our record in high rounds, it's tough to justify the trade.

Your summary made me think - That Foote draft pick was contingent on us making the playoffs that year. If Tony Granato didn't get us into the playoffs in 2008, we would have surrendered that Duchene pick to Columbus. Probably the only good thing Granato did in his entire time with the Avs.

Could you imagine the revolt and backlash against the front office if we had given our #3 pick in 2009 up for Foote?

member 116861

Your summary made me think - That Foote draft pick was contingent on us making the playoffs that year. If Tony Granato didn't get us into the playoffs in 2008, we would have surrendered that Duchene pick to Columbus. Probably the only good thing Granato did in his entire time with the Avs.

Could you imagine the revolt and backlash against the front office if we had given our #3 pick in 2009 up for Foote?

Quenneville did that, Granato has done nothing good in his entire time with the Avs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad