Prospect Info: Draft Thread | Oilers Select 4th Overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
if the Fins follow with usual development of European players that were developed in Europe--we might not see them in the NHL next season. Also--have they done their military year yet? Fins take it very seriously.. with the fin hockey season being what it is--it is practical for them to stay one more year--play hockey and do their military time at the same time

Top guys don't usually do the military service before going to NA. There is no chance Pulju or Laine will stay in Finland if the team that drafts them want them in NA. They will go through with it eventually but most likely in the off season and not being 18

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Top guys don't usually do the military service before going to NA. There is no chance Pulju or Laine will stay in Finland if the team that drafts them want them in NA. They will go through with it eventually but most likely in the off season and not being 18

I thought both players were signed to the current teams for the 16/17 season

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
https://vimeo.com/163062724

Some highlights from the Sweden-Latvia game in the U18's.

Jesper Bratt who I have been posting about in this thread before had a beauty of a goal just in the beginning of the video. Tremendous skater with great hands. I'd use one of our 3rds on him.

And at the very end of the video the big defender Jacob Moverare, who I like the most out of the swedish d-men in this draft, has a nice goal in OT to end the game. Would also not mind using one of our 3rds on this guy.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
if the Fins follow with usual development of European players that were developed in Europe--we might not see them in the NHL next season. Also--have they done their military year yet? Fins take it very seriously.. with the fin hockey season being what it is--it is practical for them to stay one more year--play hockey and do their military time at the same time

I dont know how seriously its taken. I read an article on Olli Maata and how he was set to do it April 18th (monday) but delayed it till after postseason. They interviewed Komarov and he said nearly every Finnish player does it in summer sometime. Hell there is 3 or 4 current U27 Fins that have to do it in NHL. He said most guys wait until 25 or so do it in summer. Some try and do it at 17 or 18 if still in Finland. All you have to do is have it done before 27 IIRC. And he said besides getting up early, its pretty fun. Mainly just camping in the woods

Theyll be in NA 100% next year and not even debateable to me. Barkov came over after draft. Each yeat they play in NA is a year less till UFA and also a year earlier they reach their peak in NHL. Plus they are more than good enough.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I thought both players were signed to the current teams for the 16/17 season

It doesn't matter really, if NHL team wants them NA there would be no problems like there haven't been in the past.

Also the military service can be dealt with in the offseason without really affecting their development and they don't have to do it for years.
There really are no concerns with Finnish prospects when it comes to fears will they leave Liiga and can they.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It doesn't matter really, if NHL team wants them NA there would be no problems like there haven't been in the past.

Also the military service can be dealt with in the offseason without really affecting their development and they don't have to do it for years.
There really are no concerns with Finnish prospects when it comes to fears will they leave Liiga and can they.

This.

I don't think there would be any issues with Laine coming over and planted on McDavids wing for the next 15 years.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This.

I don't think there would be any issues with Laine coming over and planted on McDavids wing for the next 15 years.

Laine has himself said he wants to be in the NHL next year.

By yesterdays article when his strenght coach was intervied he said they are going to focus this offseason on his skating and in which area especially, adding more explosiveness to his skating, focusing on the very 1st step and how to produce more power to it.
But was happy how he developed last year and he got to train with NHL players in Turku and saw how they got ready for season.

Laine knows what he wants and he is willing to work for it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Laine has himself said he wants to be in the NHL next year.

By yesterdays article when his strenght coach was intervied he said they are going to focus this offseason on his skating and in which area especially, adding more explosiveness to his skating, focusing on the very 1st step and how to produce more power to it.
But was happy how he developed last year and he got to train with NHL players in Turku and saw how they got ready for season.

Laine knows what he wants and he is willing to work for it.

:yo:

Great to hear. Hopefully he keeps surrounding himself with people that will push him to be his best, because this kids ceiling is very high.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
:yo:

Great to hear. Hopefully he keeps surrounding himself with people that will push him to be his best, because this kids ceiling is very high.

He wants to be the best and you can see it.

Forgot to mentiong from the previous post that the coach said he is physically very raw still, has ton of room and potential to improve, said it makes what he has been able to do this year quite alright (modestly).

Sounded like he sees something truly special in Laine and in his physical potential.

Tappara also has a fantastic skating coach, Barkov is his latest example, from his weakness to strenght, in pretty much one offseason.

Last edited:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I actually like Puljujarvi better than Laine.. Just my personal opinion.

People think Laine is just going to come here and score 30 goals. Its not true at all. Barkov was a better goal scorer in the finish league at 17 years old. He just about scored 30 this year finally.

I think we have to pump the brakes just al ittle bit on Laine.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

People think Laine is just going to come here and score 30 goals. Its not true at all. Barkov was a better goal scorer in the finish league at 17 years old. He just about scored 30 this year finally.

There are a lot of differences with Barkov and Laine, they are 2 completely different player, they think the way completely different.

Barkov is a 2way C that has always thought defense 1st, Barkov played in Florida with 4th liners who couldn't get contracts this year and was injured in his draft offseason so he wasn't able to train.

Laine was a rookie this year in Liiga and scored just 4 goals less than the best Finnish scorer, he has 8 goals in the playoffs, leads the whole league in goal scoring and broke the rookie record.
Laine's shot is something special, something very few have and he's 17y, with Laine/Pulju you are buying more potential than you were with Barkov, they are much more raw prospects and Laine started the season n bottom6 and still isn't playing with Tapparas best players.

But I've also prefered Pulju throughout the year, but Laine right now is the better player but Pulju has one crazy ceiling, probably the highest in the draft and he is the rawest of the top3 draft prospects, he's a freak of nature with IQ.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
this board could be fun if we fall to drafting 5th overall

I am sure most of you guys and the one gal here remember that slots 1-2-3 are lotoed this year and all playoff teams can now jump into those spots

So we could have Boston draft 1st--then the canes and then wild

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

imo it won't really matter, since it is clearly set with Matthews at #1, Laine #2, and Puljujarvi #3. We would be lucky to land in any of those spots, and we'll be picking based on that ranking I'm sure. I know that same principle led us to pick Yakupov over Murray, but I don't think it changes now for us or for any team. Draft reaches don't occur at the top.

But I am leaning to your opinion of preferring Puljujarvi over Laine. The only way that happens though is if we get the #3 pick.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

I am sure most of you guys and the one gal here remember that slots 1-2-3 are lotoed this year and all playoff teams can now jump into those spots

*non playoff teams :)

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
imo it won't really matter, since it is clearly set with Matthews at #1, Laine #2, and Puljujarvi #3. We would be lucky to land in any of those spots, and we'll be picking based on that ranking I'm sure. I know that same principle led us to pick Yakupov over Murray, but I don't think it changes now for us or for any team. Draft reaches don't occur at the top.

But I am leaning to your opinion of preferring Puljujarvi over Laine. The only way that happens though is if we get the #3 pick.

I keep seeing #2 or #3 is preference based. I don't think I have seen one is actually better than the other.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I have only seen both of the Finns in international play. Looking forward to seeing more of Pulji at the U18s.

For people who see them more, what is their defensive game like? and How physical are they in an average game?

I'm trying to figure out what makes Dubious less of a prospect, since he seems to play physical and rack up the points as well. Perhaps not consistent with the physical play like the others?

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'd actually prefer Dubois in the sense that it would make things easier trying to fit him in with Todd and "how they want to play"

Not that you wouldn't dance up to the podium for the top 3...but IMO Dubois you can slot in on the 3rd and walk away.

The phenoms will need to be managed.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Meh, I would be fine with 5th overall. Chychrun, Sergachev, or Juolevi would be a nice consolation prize

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I'd actually prefer Dubois in the sense that it would make things easier trying to fit him in with Todd and "how they want to play"

Not that you wouldn't dance up to the podium for the top 3...but IMO Dubois you can slot in on the 3rd and walk away.

The phenoms will need to be managed.

Dubois is very NHL Ready, easily could come in and play with Poo and Nuge on the 3rd line.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Dante Fabbro has been absolutely fantastic so far in the U18s. 3 points in game 1 and already 2 assists after 1 period of game 2 tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad