Status
Not open for further replies.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
if we don't trade it....Dubois
Tkachuk's stats are inflated by a great Knights team

That's my worry as well. Although Tkachuk has the attributes and size that a guy like Gagner didn't.

Did Dubois have decent line mates?

Edit: Svechnikov, who seems to have plateaued at that level.

Yeah, Dubois. Love those junior PIMs. Plays with an edge?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If we were forced to pick at 4 then I'd take Dubois. Yep, another winger but the other 3 D are not worthy of the 4th overall pick IMO.

Really so the guy who won OHL dman of the year, was top 3 in rookie scoring, top 3 in defence scoring, #1 in goals scored by a dman, had 15 multi point games to end the season, and is 6'3" 205lbs and can skate well isn't worth a top 4 overall pick? Who's the last dman with those accolades in their draft year out of the OHL? Make no mistake about it if we don't pick Sergachev it's going to haunt this organization for a long time IMO.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I can only base my opinion completely off of highlights of these two players.

Dubois kind of reminds me of Benoit Pouliot more than he does Jamie Benn. Tkachuk is a weird player. Loads the puck for a while before shooting, so I can't really check out his release. Seems to play a pretty North-South game. Eh. I'm probably just watching these with the hurt of not getting Laine, and it's skewing things.

I really don't even know though. I'd rather we trade the pick, TBH.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
if Dubois was a right-shot, he'd be the ideal winger to replace Eberle...

but Eberle is the only right-shot winger we have in the top 6 so I'd rather trade this pick then trade Eberle

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Game of Sergachev's. Has a goal at around the 18:40 mark if you want to see an example of his one timer. Cant help but imagine Mcdavid setting him up. Also really good play at around 7:30 mark where he banks the puck off the boards around a forechecker.

And highlight video for those who don't want to watch a 20 minute game video muted.

Edit: One more highlight video from a game

Last edited:

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Neither guy impresses me at all. Trade the pick or it's a failure.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Assuming that we keep the pick this will be a very interesting and tough pick IMO.

Tkachuk seems like a throwback type that will just take a beating down low to get the job done by any means necessary and while he's not huge he projects to be a brick ****house like his dad was IMO. PLD has a damn good wrister, great size and plays with an edge. Chychrun and Sergachyov both have booming shots and seem to be physical specimens on the blueline. While they are not RHD if either has top pairing upside it'd be hard to pass on that.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Dubois. Bigger, said to play wing and center, six and a half months younger and I like his goals:assist ratio more than Tkachuk's.

I'm also afraid of Tkachuk being "gagner'd" by Marner and Dvorak. The similarities are striking. Gagner was 3rd in points and 5th in goals (4th in goals per game) on the Knights. Tkachuk is 3rd in points and 4th in goals on the Knights. Dubois is 1st in goals, assists, points and +/-. The team runs through him.

Because the thread is about what to do if the pick isn't traded.

If you want to trade the pick go to one of the threads talking about trading it.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Hmm. I'm going to have to dig deeper into these two, but as of now and in order of preference:

1) Trade the pick outright.

2) Select PLD. Potentially being capable of being a center and his size in combination with his ability to score make him a more attractive package.

3) Trade down and acquire another 2nd rounder and select Chychrun.

4a) Select Tkachuk. He seems like an earlier Brad Marchand (more of a pest) with a lesser shot but a better playmaker. Am I wrong on this comp?

4b) Trade down and acquire something significant while being in a position to select Fabbro. I'd almost rather do this than take Tkachuk to be honest, and I'd love a Marchand type player.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Dubois. Bigger, said to play wing and center, six and a half months younger and I like his goals:assist ratio more than Tkachuk's.

I'm also afraid of Tkachuk being "gagner'd" by Marner and Dvorak. The similarities are striking. Gagner was 3rd in points and 5th in goals (4th in goals per game) on the Knights. Tkachuk is 3rd in points and 4th in goals on the Knights. Dubois is 1st in goals, assists, points and +/-. The team runs through him.

Because the thread is about what to do if the pick isn't traded.

If you want to trade the pick go to one of the threads talking about trading it.

Gagner had skill, his issues were his lack of strength and two way play. I don't think that Tkachuk should have it held against him that he was on a dominant line.

BCNeil

Apr 21, 2016
Yeah, it needs to be traded. The fourth pick is kind of nowhere. None of the top Dman are really 4th overall calibre. Dubois or Tkachuk, great players......but not really what the Oilers need.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Don't really care who we pick. Rather trade any of Hall, Nuge, ebs before trading the pick though. Either of Dubois or Tkachuk bring more of what the oilers need up front. I like Dubois more, but wouldn't mind either.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Yeah, it needs to be traded. The fourth pick is kind of nowhere. None of the top Dman are really 4th overall calibre. Dubois or Tkachuk, great players......but not really what the Oilers need.

dubois is exactly what the oilers need. trade nuge.. who isn't.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Trade it. #4 is a great spot. Top 3 picks are pretty well set. Any team wanting to move up and draft "their guy" will be calling Edmonton.

Chiarelli isn't in a position of power for most deals, but for this one he will be.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Polls like this are better without the "trade the pick" option.

In this case the problem would be that it would be like 90% trade the pick. It's more interesting to discuss these players, because it is an option if we can't find a trading partner. For trading the pick discussion, that's best left in the rumour threads where we can talk about who we're trading the pick to

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I'd go with Dubois Chychrun or Sergachev in that order, and Tkachuk shares a last name with me. :)

Really from 4 onwards (and I'd argue even after Matthews and Laine) there's a pretty big drop-off and you could argue 10 different players inside the top 5, including a guy like Clayton Keller.

I'd love it if Chiarelli traded down to grab Chychrun and was able to grab Fabbro or Quenneville later on as well, that would be a big win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad