Draft Post Mortem

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I think that the direction the team took was telling. It wasn't due to untalented defensemen that we were so poor defensively, it was that once we had the puck on our sticks in the neutral zone our time of possession was arguably among the worst in the league. To play better defense, we need the pucks on our sticks for a greater percentage of the time. Better forward play is the way to achieve this, hence, stocking up on forward talent. If the young guns prove to be all that and a bag of chips this upcoming season, we might just see a flood of defensmen chosen at next year's draft.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
We just have so many wingers now, except for Merkley, I don't think anyone we drafted passes even Bunting on our prospect depth chart.

Then again, I've been a huge fan of Bunting since we drafted him so maybe i'm off the mark

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I think that the direction the team took was telling. It wasn't due to untalented defensemen that we were so poor defensively, it was that once we had the puck on our sticks in the neutral zone our time of possession was arguably among the worst in the league. To play better defense, we need the pucks on our sticks for a greater percentage of the time. Better forward play is the way to achieve this, hence, stocking up on forward talent. If the young guns prove to be all that and a bag of chips this upcoming season, we might just see a flood of defensmen chosen at next year's draft.

That's if Tippett plays any of them meaningful minutes. I'll believe it when I see it.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I feel all the criticism (reputation) Tippett takes for not playing young guys is "correct".

OEL he played because OEL showed he was a so much better than anyone we had on defense it was a no brainer. Tippett is ok if the difference is such that it's a no-brainer like OEL. Where I feel he has trouble is acknowledging that when the difference is close, he chooses the "veteran" over the youngster and it's always a mistake because at the moment the young player might be slightly worse, but by playing the young player, he will grow to become a much better player.

Tippett is too short-sighted to be an effective at developing young players. Like he always says, I'm going to play the guys that give me the best chance to win today. Which to him is always the veteran unless in the case of a superstar player i.e. OEL.

Tippett hasn't done anything to dispel what everyone knows is a lack of vision in developing young players.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I feel all the criticism (reputation) Tippett takes for not playing young guys is "correct".

OEL he played because OEL showed he was a so much better than anyone we had on defense it was a no brainer. Tippett is ok if the difference is such that it's a no-brainer like OEL. Where I feel he has trouble is acknowledging that when the difference is close, he chooses the "veteran" over the youngster and it's always a mistake because at the moment the young player might be slightly worse, but by playing the young player, he will grow to become a much better player.

Tippett is too short-sighted to be an effective at developing young players. Like he always says, I'm going to play the guys that give me the best chance to win today. Which to him is always the veteran unless in the case of a superstar player i.e. OEL.

Tippett hasn't done anything to dispel what everyone knows is a lack of vision in developing young players.

Maybe in your eyes, but not mine. DT has forgotten more about hockey than you and I will ever know. DT is one of the best coaches in the NHL, and to say he is short-sighted and has trouble acknowledging what player is better is just wrong.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tippett has no track record with developing offensive talent

He has also openly said that the NHL is not for development and he will play the best player in a desperate effort to grind out points. We know this is true because we've watched it first hand. He had to be told at his previous job - one that he was fired from - to give a larger role to a certain young offensive player.

He is not the coach you want in charge of four or five young players trying to establish themselves in this league. That's pretty obvious to anyone that pays attention to what he says, how he acts, and his history of coaching.

Dave Tippett can be the best gameday coach in the world and still be an awful fit for this group.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

He has also openly said that the NHL is not for development and he will play the best player in a desperate effort to grind out points. We know this is true because we've watched it first hand. He had to be told at his previous job - one that he was fired from - to give a larger role to a certain young offensive player.

He is not the coach you want in charge of four or five young players trying to establish themselves in this league. That's pretty obvious to anyone that pays attention to what he says, how he acts, and his history of coaching.

Dave Tippett can be the best gameday coach in the world and still be an awful fit for this group.

I guess this year we will see who is right.:)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think the difference is Tippett recognizes the difference between “young players” and “good young players”. The young players he’s been provided in the past didn’t play because they sucked, not because they were young. Andy Miele, Jordan Martinook, David Rundblad, etc. That group doesn't improve with more ice-time. That’s not the case with Domi, Perlini, Samuelsson, etc. These players actually have a basis of talent.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Could be a home run draft for AZ. Reading up on the later picks.

ISS has Hill as 3rd best goalie available. Dober hockey has Strome, Merkley, and Garland as 3 of top 10 playmakers. Garland in particular is viewed higher on some of the lists than I expected.

Fisher seems solid. Warren may have been lost by scouts behind some bigger names. 4 years at Michigan might yield a pretty good player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the difference is Tippett recognizes the difference between “young players†and “good young playersâ€. The young players he’s been provided in the past didn’t play because they sucked, not because they were young. Andy Miele, Jordan Martinook, David Rundblad, etc. That group doesn't improve with more ice-time. That’s not the case with Domi, Perlini, Samuelsson, etc. These players actually have a basis of talent.

Yup. Remember the outcry when we traded Rundblad? Look at him now.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

ISS has Hill as 3rd best goalie available. Dober hockey has Strome, Merkley, and Garland as 3 of top 10 playmakers. Garland in particular is viewed higher on some of the lists than I expected.

Fisher seems solid. Warren may have been lost by scouts behind some bigger names. 4 years at Michigan might yield a pretty good player.

That's good to hear. Our last three drafts seem to be pretty solid.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Bernhardt seems to be good at projecting growth where it's not obvious. Dvorak's sample size was pretty damn small and they spent a 2nd on him. The Warren pick seems to be in the same mold. He went out of his way to say that Warren's game is probably better suited for the pros.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Bernhardt seems to be good at projecting growth where it's not obvious. Dvorak's sample size was pretty damn small and they spent a 2nd on him. The Warren pick seems to be in the same mold. He went out of his way to say that Warren's game is probably better suited for the pros.

I wonder why he said that? Is it size?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Remember how highly he was regarded when he got here? Letting him rot in a press box for three years destroyed the guy.

He has a ring and averaged over 12 minutes a game, was 2nd on the Hawks in plus minus. I think he did alright, considering how the Coyotes treated him.

The beautiful part about ruining young players is you get to claim they weren't any good to begin with to deflect criticism.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Only averaged 7 minutes in the playoffs and the Hawks were banged up. They chose to run Keith for 40 mins before entrusting Rundblad with any more time. He's brutal. If he sticks in the NHL, it's because of low salary. He contributed as much to the Cup win as the Chicago towel boy. Rundblad is a SEL talent.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Read somewhere (may have been a Bernhardt quote) that Hill really came on once he grew into his 6'4 frame. He went through a quick, wonky growth spurt previously and it really toyed with his game. Seems to be the reason he went undrafted last year.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Only averaged 7 minutes in the playoffs and the Hawks were banged up. They chose to run Keith for 40 mins before entrusting Rundblad with any more time. He's brutal. If he sticks in the NHL, it's because of low salary. He contributed as much to the Cup win as the Chicago towel boy. Rundblad is a SEL talent.

Nailed it.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Is the capacity to do so in him? I think it's possible, but he's GOT to change his mindset. IF he can make the adjustment, while teaching/keeping the boys playing an honest defensive game, the lads will really flourish.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Connor Murphy

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona

Do only the "old guys" get it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad