Sv%
|
Hill | WHL | 46 | 2.81 | .921 |
Kallgren | J20 | 34 | 1.75 | .936 |

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hoping the college kids develop fast enough that they don't skip town come time to sign.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
love the first 3 picks.

I didn't see any video of Copabianco, so tough for me to comment as I haven't seen him play.

I like the late Garland pick on someone who led the Q in scoring and was tremendous in the post season.

Would have preferred selecting Kylington rather than trading the pick, and would have preferred Sompel or Schmitsch instead of Warren.

But overall, got to give our draft a B+, we got an A+ for Day 1 and a B- for Day 2

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
Agree all around:

Strome A
Merkley A+
Fischer B+
Capobianco B- (Kylington should have been the pick before we traded down...worth the risk in the 3rd rd)
Hill B
Warren D (only stinker really...do these types ever work out for us?)
Looke B+
Garland B+
Kallgren ??? (it's 7th round...doesn't really matter)

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Shocked we only took 1 D and shocked we didn't get a roster player in a trade

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
love the first 3 picks.

I didn't see any video of Copabianco, so tough for me to comment as I haven't seen him play.

I like the late Garland pick on someone who led the Q in scoring and was tremendous in the post season.

Would have preferred selecting Kylington rather than trading the pick, and would have preferred Sompel or Schmitsch instead of Warren.

But overall, got to give our draft a B+, we got an A+ for Day 1 and a B- for Day 2

Agreed on the B+ rating. Wish they would've picked up Kylington, but ah well. I expect to see Defensemen signed this FA period

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ

Agreed. I suspected 100% that we would have "traded" for players today, especially with all the other trades. Completely dumb founded that nothing was done.

I fully expected Gormley to be traded today for sure, and then when the Griffen Reinhart trade went down.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Regarding Kylington, Maloney was still probably upset about Runblad. Swedish defenseman, talented, but gets burned far too much.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Regarding Kylington, Maloney was still probably upset about Runblad. Swedish defenseman, talented, but gets burned far too much.

His fault for not telling his coach to coach Rundblad up instead of playing Schlemko or AHL scrubs over him.

[NHL]831080&catid=1411[/NHL]

Scouts told him he was crazy for thinking about trading the pick according to Puck Daddy.

Says they were working on a huge trade with multiple pieces but it kind of evaporated.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Yup. I really wanted kylington or Sprong, but I like both first rounders. Not sure on the second rounder, I feel like that was the spot for a boom or bust kind of pick like sprong but fisher seems like he'll bring some physical play and two way play so eh. Can't wait for prospect camp to see these guys.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona

Yup. I really wanted kylington or Sprong, but I like both first rounders. Not sure on the second rounder, I feel like that was the spot for a boom or bust kind of pick like sprong but fisher seems like he'll bring some physical play and two way play so eh. Can't wait for prospect camp to see these guys.

Our D prospects are super thin and we didn't fill up the cupboard. So now we've gone from too many D men and too few forwards to too many forwards and not that many D men. We really needed to grab 2 or 3 more D men.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think my biggest complaint is that we started with 8 picks, I believe. Was expecting to go with 1 goaltender, 2 or 3 D, and 4 or 5 forwards. Was hoping to trade back and get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder and guarantee 1 G, 3 D, and 5 F.

I feel like they got the number and quality of forwards right, but was expecting a few more D prospects within the draft. I get that we have a ton of talent on D under the age of 26, but more are going to be hitting their UFA status within 4 years than most teams. Didn't necessarily mind 2 goalies, but 1 was enough, given the lack of D picked up.

Thought that we actually hit home runs with our first 3 picks...

Last edited:

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I think my biggest complaint is that we started with 8 picks, I believe. Was expecting to go with 1 goaltender, 2 or 3 D, and 4 or 5 forwards. Was hoping to trade back and get an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder and guarantee 1 G, 3 D, and 5 F.

I feel like they got the number and quality of forwards right, but was expecting a few more D prospects within the draft. I get that we have a ton of talent on D under the age of 26, but more are going to be hitting their UFA status within 4 years than most teams. Didn't necessarily mind 2 goalies, but 1 was who GH, given the lack of D picked up.
Thought that we actually hit home runs with our first 3 picks...

Looking at what was available, I'm not sure you can commend our first three pics and then be unhappy about not getting more D.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Looking at what was available, I'm not sure you can commend our first three pics and then be unhappy about not getting more D.

I thought the time for D was between the 2nd and 5th rounds. I actually had Fischer pretty high on my board...

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I actually had Rasmus Andersson as my first D man that I would have taken. Thought he would have been perfect if we traded back to a pick within the 45-55 range. That would have been my ultimate way to go, but hard to say what would happen. Maybe our forwards become that great that we wind up trading them around for D prospects anyhow...

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I actually had Rasmus Andersson as my first D man that I would have taken. Thought he would have been perfect if we traded back to a pick within the 45-55 range. That would have been my ultimate way to go, but hard to say what would happen. Maybe our forwards become that great that we wind up trading them around for D prospects anyhow...

Well, it sure is hard to say what will happen. It's all fun, but there's just no telling for certain.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Meloche was the one guy I was really hoping we'd grab in the second. I don't dislike the Fischer pick, but I was disappointed. Jens Looke is probably the most intriguing pick of the later rounds for me.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Strome A
Merkley A+
Fischer B+
Capobianco B
Hill B- (Had my eye on him as a 5th round target; not sure if I would have taken him over Tomek or Booth, but the skillset is appealing)
Warren C (wasn't really on my radar - hoping the scouts know what they're doing)
Looke B+
Garland B
Kallgren D (did we really need to draft two goalies this year?)

Overall a B/B+ draft. Happy with the first 3 picks and we drafted a crapload of right shot forwards overall, but we also needed to replenish our RHD depth and didn't do that.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'm pretty happy with it overall. Warren seems like an awkward pick, and I'd have preferred Carlo to Fisher but still seems like a pretty good draft. Hopefully this one will appear as promising as last years after the season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Warren pick was praised on NHL Network. Seems like an Fehr type, to me.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Meloche was the one guy I was really hoping we'd grab in the second. I don't dislike the Fischer pick, but I was disappointed. Jens Looke is probably the most intriguing pick of the later rounds for me.
I really wanted Meloche too but I also had Fischer on my list so can't really complain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad