Draft Post Mortem

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Well, it seems that we got another top 5 draft group. All of the sites (rotoworld, espn, bleacherreport, etc...) ranked us in the top 5.

That is 2 years in a row so it looks like we've finally found a group of scouts who can get us the assets that we need. Now we just need to work on the development piece.

Having a new group in Springfield should help.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, it seems that we got another top 5 draft group. All of the sites (rotoworld, espn, bleacherreport, etc...) ranked us in the top 5.

That is 2 years in a row so it looks like we've finally found a group of scouts who can get us the assets that we need. Now we just need to work on the development piece.

A few posts I have read talk about developing our kids, but the problem is that some kids just don't have the talent and their development stops at the AHL. The last few drafts I think have been very good so we should see more kids developing in the AHL and making it to the NHL. The NHL is a tough nut to crack and most don't make it.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Three years in a row I think. Ever since Bernhardt came on. His addition has been invaluable.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If he was any good he wouldn't be in the press box would he. Stop blaming management, start blaming the player. The same may hold true for golden boy Gormley if he comes to training camp and plays like he has the last half decade.

Dave Tippett is like the manager of a restaurant that requires its servers to have "3 years of serving experience to be hired". You need experience to play, but you need to play to gain experience, and it ends up screwing over the younger kids. Rundblad had all the raw skill in the world, but when he played in his bi-monthly game, he was rusty and not in game-mode. Rotting in the press box for a prime few years of development really killed his game.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
A few posts I have read talk about developing our kids, but the problem is that some kids just don't have the talent and their development stops at the AHL. The last few drafts I think have been very good so we should see more kids developing in the AHL and making it to the NHL. The NHL is a tough nut to crack and most don't make it.

Spot on. And you can't blame the coach or management for an athlete reaching his ceiling.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Dave Tippett is like the manager of a restaurant that requires its servers to have "3 years of serving experience to be hired". You need experience to play, but you need to play to gain experience, and it ends up screwing over the younger kids. Rundblad had all the raw skill in the world, but when he played in his bi-monthly game, he was rusty and not in game-mode. Rotting in the press box for a prime few years of development really killed his game.

That management strategy works when you can rely on other restaurants/teams to develop that talent. Winning teams can pull that off, trading off futures for "win now" personnel. And until last year, the directive was to win games. Now that there seems to at least some tolerance for looking to the future at the expense of the immediate present, I wonder whether Tippett can change his approach, but I have to assume he's at least willing to try. If not, they should have traded Domi, Duclair, et al already for guys who don't need to be developed.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I wonder whether Tippett can change his approach, but I have to assume he's at least willing to try.

You would think that, but he was coaching for his job, even when he had a nice contract in hand and no chance of being fired. He's simply not willing to trade the present for the future. It's on the player to climb some mystical hill in Tippett's mind and prove his worth without much opportunity to do so. I think his ability to coach up young players, especially forwards, is entirely up for debate.

At some point you need to put the players on the ice and let them either sink or swim.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
You would think that, but he was coaching for his job, even when he had a nice contract in hand and no chance of being fired. He's simply not willing to trade the present for the future. It's on the player to climb some mystical hill in Tippett's mind and prove his worth without much opportunity to do so. I think his ability to coach up young players, especially forwards, is entirely up for debate.

At some point you need to put the players on the ice and let them either sink or swim.

I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt. But the directive for this coming season is likely different from any he's gotten before, and so there's reason to believe that he could soften his stance. For as much power as he has in this organization, he can still be fired.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)

Rundblad and Gormley were thought to be shoe-ins for the NHL and have almost now fallen through the cracks. Was it that scouts were wrong or that development failed? I can't say one way or other but Maloney cleaning house shows he must of thought development was at least partly to blame.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
D take longer than F's to develop. Usually 3-5 years which means you are very likely going to face a decision about one way versus two way and waivers before you are confident they can play in the league. It's almost like the situation we have with goalies where you are questioning even drafting one and at a minimum are not taking one in the first round.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Rundblad and Gormley were thought to be shoe-ins for the NHL and have almost now fallen through the cracks. Was it that scouts were wrong or that development failed? I can't say one way or other but Maloney cleaning house shows he must of thought development was at least partly to blame.

Every organization has a Gormley or a Rundblad. I think hbk said it best that if you can get one or two kids out of every draft your doing a good job. DM ask for a received extra money for the scouting dept., and now we are starting to see the results.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

Rundblad and Gormley have both done everything asked of them at the AHL level. Rundblad is no longer the organization's problem, but there was zero effort there to bring out his talent after a promising AHL season and preseason. Gormley has played a whopping 32 games. They need consistent NHL time. Can't get that if you play once a month like Rundblad, or if you're constantly injured like Gormley.

If they're playing on a really crappy team, that adjustment and development period is elongated. It's easy for a rookie to step in to a good team and figure out his place. It's another thing entirely to step onto one of the worst teams in the league. A team that was constantly scrambling lines and pairings, as well as scrambling around their own zone.

The Coyotes are terrible at development. Development occurs all along the way, including the NHL level. Kind of hurts to have your sitting head coach say otherwise. The criminal part of this is that these players were passed over or buried in favor of inconsequential scrubs that shouldn't be favored over young players that need icetime, on teams that were terrible.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

That's true, after they learn how to swim at the AHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad