Draft Lottery Winners. What Would Be The Biggest Story?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I meant weak draft at the top.

There have been several drafts in this century where Dahlin is not a top3 pick.

So not only have you not seen Dahlin play, you haven't seen what every expert is saying?

Here is where he goes in previous drafts. Many times he would even be higher on the list, but teams often go with the elite forward if there is the options

2018- He's going 1st
2017 - He goes 1st
2016 - 2nd or 3rd. Better prospect than Matthews, but Leafs still go with Franchise C.
2015 - 3rd. Better prospect than Eichel, but Sabres have Risto and want their Franchise C
2014 - 1st
2013 - 1st or 2nd depending on Avs picking Mackinnor not.
2012 - 1st Easily. Oilers really wanted a dman in this draft. There wasn' a surething guy at the top though.
2011 - 1st or 2nd. Oilers may mistakinly take Nuge, thinking he's a franchise C as they did at the time.
2010 - 3rd. Hall and Seguin were both massively hyped at the time. Dahlin should be top pick here, but Tambi and Chia make Tambi and Chia style choices.
2009 - 2nd. Tavares goes 1, Dahlin goes before Hedman (no way he slides past 3)
2008 - 2nd. Stamkos goes 1, Dahlin goes before Doughty. (no way he slides past 3)

Should I keep going? He's a 3rd pick at worst each year, and those are years where its top heavy. And players going above him aren't always the right call. I think out of all these years, he's truly the 2nd best prospect, only behind Connor.

Reactions: 21 Savage

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I live in Sweden and I see him playing every week.

Have you ever seen him playing? I really doubt it.

Also picking him doesnt affect your next season because he is not NHL ready.

Maybe team like Edmonton will force him to play in the NHL but its going to be a bloodpath.

He will play in the NHL regardless of where he is drafted. Edmonton rushing players is an overblown myth.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
Are you implying that the guy chasing down his 2nd consecutive Art Ross, and best player in the world, isn't worth the raise. We all know Edmonton isn't as bad as their record indicates. Good teams have bad years in a league with so much parity, when circumstance doesn't go their way.

We all know Edmonton is a good team!? That is just blatently false, Edmonton is every bit what their record indicates, and bad teams have good years in a league with so much parity when circumstances go their way. (see what I did there). Edmonton is not a good team, and their contracts and team set up are brutal.

It's much easier to believe this is the real edmonton oilers as opposed to last year as this is the NORMAL for the edmonton oilers year after year.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
So not only have you not seen Dahlin play, you haven't seen what every expert is saying?

Here is where he goes in previous drafts. Many times he would even be higher on the list, but teams often go with the elite forward if there is the options

2018- He's going 1st
2017 - He goes 1st
2016 - 2nd or 3rd. Better prospect than Matthews, but Leafs still go with Franchise C.
2015 - 3rd. Better prospect than Eichel, but Sabres have Risto and want their Franchise C
2014 - 1st
2012 - 1st Easily. Oilers really wanted a dman in this draft. There wasn' a surething guy at the top though.
2011 - 1st or 2nd. Oilers may mistakinly take Nuge, thinking he's a franchise C as they did at the time.
2010 - 3rd. Hall and Seguin were both massively hyped at the time. Dahlin should be top pick here, but Tambi and Chia make Tambi and Chia style choices.
2008 - 2nd. Stamkos goes 1, Dahlin goes before Doughty. (no way he slides past 3)

Should I keep going? He's a 3rd pick at worst each year, and those are years where its top heavy. And players going above him aren't always the right call. I think out of all these years, he's truly the 2nd best prospect, only behind Connor.

Every expert isnt hyping him. The ones who have been right over the years arent hyping him.

The ones who are hyping him are the same people who said that Puljujärvi is as good as Matthews and Laine or that Liljegren is #1 D.

Hype over him has gone down a lot after the so called experts saw him for the first time in the olympics and saw that he cant play at mens speed. He wasnt that good in wjc either. He has only been good against low tier SHL teams.

All those quotes are from last season or early this season. Have you seen anyone saying after the olympics that he is NHL-ready?

Reactions: Cotton

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Every expert isnt hyping him. The ones who have been right over the years arent hyping him.

The ones who are hyping him are the same people who said that Puljujärvi is as good as Matthews and Laine or that Liljegren is #1 D.

Hype over him has gone down a lot after the so called experts saw him for the first time in the olympics and saw that he cant play at mens speed. He wasnt that good in wjc either. He has only been good against low tier SHL teams.

All those quotes are from last season or early this season. Have you seen anyone saying after the olympics that he is NHL-ready?

All I heard from the Olympics was how horrible the Swedish coach was.

Reactions: Name Nameless

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
All I heard from the Olympics was how horrible the Swedish coach was.
You probably heard it from those experts I mentioned in previous post.

Dahlin on the other hand was a kid at mens game. A bird without wings, a fish who cant swim.

Him being there was a pr-move that team Sweden management hopes they never made.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You probably heard it from those experts I mentioned in previous post.

Dahlin on the other hand was a kid at mens game. A bird without wings, a fish who cant swim.

I mean that all I heard was how badly the coach mishandled his roster, including Dahlin.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
We all know Edmonton is a good team!? That is just blatently false, Edmonton is every bit what their record indicates, and bad teams have good years in a league with so much parity when circumstances go their way. (see what I did there). Edmonton is not a good team, and their contracts and team set up are brutal.

It's much easier to believe this is the real edmonton oilers as opposed to last year as this is the NORMAL for the edmonton oilers year after year.

It's really great to see another shortsighted narrowminded view that thinks this is the same team from the decade of darkness. Stop watching Leafs media and start paying attention yourself. Last season, they overachieved, this year they have underachieved. Both years, they should have been a wildcard team.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Who said Puljujarvi is as good as Matthews? Link?
Who said leading up to the draft that Lilhegren is a #1D? Link? Because he wouldnt have fallen that far if there was such a certainty.

You dug yourself into a hole and now you're making things up to cover for it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

This is the second time I can remember him making the claim that everyone knows Edmonton is actually a good team.

Bando

Jun 24, 2016
It's really great to see another shortsighted narrowminded view that thinks this is the same team from the decade of darkness. Stop watching Leafs media and start paying attention yourself. Last season, they overachieved, this year they have underachieved. Both years, they should have been a wildcard team.
I watch nearly every oilers game, they are right where they belong this season. It's funny that you say shortsighted and narrow minded, that is your opinion and attacking anyone who thinks otherwise is ironic.

Shortsighted is thinking that mcdavid can carry this team further... he is already doing everything this season and edmonton is still a lottery team. That isnt changing with an overpaid underperforming lineup.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Calgary - Throwing away Dahlin + 2 2nds for Hamonic

Islanders - If they win with either pick, is it enough for Tavares to stay? If he leaves still, it certainly makes it less painful

Imagine Islanders ending up with the top 2 picks. lol

I could see the Islanders trying to make a deal for a a legit #1 defenseman if somehow one of those picks ends up top 3.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Who said Puljujarvi is as good as Matthews? Link?
Who said leading up to the draft that Lilhegren is a #1D? Link? Because he wouldnt have fallen that far if there was such a certainty.

You dug yourself into a hole and now you're making things up to cover for it.

Wow, I didn't think you would have so poor knowledge.

First you should start learning how to use google. Just put "Matthews Puljujärvi" there and it gives you several answers. As I see that you can't use google, I can help you. How many links is enough?

Auston Matthews or Jesse Puljujarvi – who’s No. 1 in 2016? | The Hockey News
NHL:n ykkösvaraaja seuraa Patrik Lainetta – "Vaikea päätös edessä"
NHL-valmentajavelho Puljujärvestä ja Laineesta: "Pelaavat ensi kaudella NHL:ssä - se on varmaa" | SuomiKiekko
TLN Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #1 Timothy Liljegren
Schelleberg reports on the 2016 Ivan Hlinka – Hockey Prospectus

I'm sure you can find more links on your own, now that I've told you how to use google

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Yeah if they had a better coach with a better system, better roster depth, better defense, and a better goalie, you know. The things good teams have.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Wow, I didn't think you would have so poor knowledge.

First you should start learning how to use google. Just put "Matthews Puljujärvi" there and it gives you several answers. As I see that you can't use google, I can help you. How many links is enough?

Auston Matthews or Jesse Puljujarvi – who’s No. 1 in 2016? | The Hockey News
NHL:n ykkösvaraaja seuraa Patrik Lainetta – "Vaikea päätös edessä"
NHL-valmentajavelho Puljujärvestä ja Laineesta: "Pelaavat ensi kaudella NHL:ssä - se on varmaa" | SuomiKiekko
TLN Top 20 Prospect Rankings: #1 Timothy Liljegren
Schelleberg reports on the 2016 Ivan Hlinka – Hockey Prospectus

I'm sure you can find more links on your own, now that I've told you how to use google

So you found articles from over a year out of the draft (also, not from experts), and homer Leaf fans sites (also, not experts) and think those are passible comparisons to experts saying how good Dahlin is, months before his draft.

Lots of players rise and fall from where their rankings were a year before. It is the truly special players that hold those rankings for years. Dahlin has been one of those players. Thanks for the failed condescending lesson though. LMAO

Cotton

May 13, 2013

2018- He's going 1st
2017 - He goes 1st
2014 - 1st

Here we go, lol. Overhyping the already overhyped.

People are going to be sad when they realize he can’t fit the bill.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I watch nearly every oilers game, they are right where they belong this season. It's funny that you say shortsighted and narrow minded, that is your opinion and attacking anyone who thinks otherwise is ironic.

Shortsighted is thinking that mcdavid can carry this team further... he is already doing everything this season and edmonton is still a lottery team. That isnt changing with an overpaid underperforming lineup.

Everyone who misses the playoffs is a lottery team. Edmonton is dead in the middle of that pack. But way to try to use its old meaning to 'strengthen' your weak arguments. Aside from McDavid, everything has gone wrong for Edmonton this year. Injuries, bad systems (assistant coaches need to go), Spending the first half of the year outchancing teams more than any other but losing on bad or flukey bounces.

This team will be bounce back and easily be a playoff team next year. Guarantee right here. Go ahead and quote me on it this time next year.

Yeah if they had a better coach with a better system, better roster depth, better defense, and a better goalie, you know. The things good teams have.

Talbot had an off season like most modern starters do. He is already bouncing back and will be fine next season. Oilers 'lack of depth' has been a shortsighted response to injuries. Yes they need a better coaching system, thats an easy fix in the summer.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Here we go, lol. Overhyping the already overhyped.

People are going to be sad when they realize he can’t fit the bill.

Bolding Matthews and calling me out for over-hyping is laughable. Dahlin is being labelled as the best defensive prospect of our time. Matthews and Eichel were labelled as surefire #1 C's. Those come around almost every year...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad