Draft Lottery Winners. What Would Be The Biggest Story?

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Lidstrom was drafted in the 3rd round in 1989, and the Wings haven't had a top 3 pick in 28 years, so I'm not sure how they were "rewarded" and/or somehow fall into the "selfishly elite" column, compared to the two others. Especially since the Pens had four top 2 picks Four years in a row from 03 to 06.

I won't even go into the number of times the Oilers have had top 5 picks in the last few years, seems to be a given at this point, sadly.

My mistake, but the Wings have still drafted 1st overall in modern history and they have an embarrassment of riches in terms of recent Stanley Cups. Not saying they don't deserve a top 5 pick but they haven't suffered enough to be first in line.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Wings have 3 top 10 picks in the last 30 years. 1 top 5 pick in that time.
If there’s a team that deserves a high pick it’s them.

How many cups? How many years of playoffs? Also no need for picks 20 years ago when they could poach smaller market teams top players.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How many cups? How many years of playoffs? Also no need for picks 20 years ago when they could poach smaller market teams top players.
Who did they poach? Pretty much every important player for them was drafted. Given that every team in the league (except Vegas I guess) has had more top 10 picks in the last 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 years, and in most cases more top 5 and more top 3 picks... I don't see why Detroit should be the only team in the NHL that needs to continue to dig up diamonds late in the draft in order to be competitive.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I'm voting for Detroit. Lidstrom to Dahlin just seems cool to me.

A sick, dark part of me wants to see what would happen if trading away what turned out to be a top pick happened to Brian Burke again. I realize he's not GM this time around, but you know he'd get pestered about it by somebody in the media and I'm morbidly curious to see what that would look like....I'd feel for Calgary, though - I don't wish that pain on anyone.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The biggest story would be Edmonton winning the lottery yet again. I’d be embarrassed if I were an Oilers fan though.

I’d like to see Arizona win it.

I'm embarrassed that this team has crapped the bed in so many ways. In no way would I be embarrassed though if we won the draft lottery. Especially from outside the bottom 5.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Hey bro, you've had some amazing players play for your team as well, I don't know why you'd get triggered.
View attachment 106001
Apparently not even generational talent can get you guys out of the gutter so I’m not entirely sure why you’re responding to to a post that had nothing to with you to bring up one of your 80’s glory boys. :laugh:

Also my initial responses to you were tongue in cheek but you seem to have missed that completely. I’ll be sure to add lots of :sarcasm:’s for you next time.

Last edited:

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Apparently not even generational talent can get you guys out of the gutter so I’m not entirely sure why you’re responding to to a post that had nothing to with you to bring up one of your 80’s glory boys. :laugh:

Also my initial responses to you were tongue in cheek but you seem to have missed that completely. I’ll be sure to add lots of :sarcasm:’s for you next time.
? I just said there was no need to be triggered about all of the great players that played for the wings. You had a great player, a captain of 2 Stanley cup teams, captain of the Vancouver Canucks and first ballot hall of gamer mark messier play for your team.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I hope NYI win it with the Calgary pick, only because as a leaf fan it would be nice to know we're not the only fanbase who had to suffer from one of Brian Burke's blunders
I agree, NYI winning it would be pretty cool. Only team i'd like to win Dahlin would be Detroit.

P.S. Love your avatar dude, hard to find one with all 3 in one! The blue on the jerseys looks beautiful! :clap:

Reactions: supermann_98

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
My mistake, but the Wings have still drafted 1st overall in modern history and they have an embarrassment of riches in terms of recent Stanley Cups. Not saying they don't deserve a top 5 pick but they haven't suffered enough to be first in line.
We have gone an entire season without making the playoffs.You can't begin to understand my pain.
Detroit did a real good job drafting and i know its fun to say for some they bought cups but thats not really true.So us Fans have not suffered the fact remains the lack of high picks remains.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Are you implying that the guy chasing down his 2nd consecutive Art Ross, and best player in the world, isn't worth the raise. We all know Edmonton isn't as bad as their record indicates. Good teams have bad years in a league with so much parity, when circumstance doesn't go their way.
Mcdavid is an awesome player but the Oilers aren’t a good team, sorry

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Missing out on first this year isn't a disaster in the end. Both Svechnikov and Zadina could go first in a weaker draft year, and all of Tkachuk, Hughes, Boqvist and Bouchard could be top three guys. All bottom teams are in for a treat no matter what.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
HAHA love it the flames don't have a pick to the 3th round and they will enjoy golfing as much as Edmonton , lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvve it Calgary can suck it hahahahaha

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Everyone already despises us anyway for winning the lottery too much. Would one more really change much after the initial outrage?

Best story has got to be Calgary winning it.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Sorry, but they are the good team from last year under poor circumstances this year. They make it to at least round 2 next season.
That’s not the team I’ve seen,outside of Mcdavid the team is extremely limited with no depth up front. They are a train wreck with Mcdavid playing the way he is, that should tell you a lot. Pitiful historically bad penalty killing and horrible goaltending, they are a bad team this year, sorry. Last year appears to be the exception with this group, not the norm.

Not to derail this thread though. I have this gut feeling Vancouver wins the lottery, it’s a perfect fit, and they deserve it.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
The islanders are looking at 2 top 5 picks no matter how the lottery falls. That is crazy.

Then you remember garf is handling the draft - he has his lifetime GM contract - and realize he 'll screw up both. The NYI have been rated as the worst drafting team over the past 10 years or so, with 3/4 top five picks having been screwed up/wasted. How garf is still employed with the team is simply astounding.

That said, would love to see them get picks #1 and #2, and see how garf handles them.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
That’s not the team I’ve seen,outside of Mcdavid the team is extremely limited with no depth up front. They are a train wreck with Mcdavid playing the way he is, that should tell you a lot. Pitiful historically bad penalty killing and horrible goaltending, they are a bad team this year, sorry. Last year appears to be the exception with this group, not the norm.

Not to derail this thread though. I have this gut feeling Vancouver wins the lottery, it’s a perfect fit, and they deserve it.

The fact that you say no depth after McDavid tells me all I need to know about your ability to judge this team

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Are you implying that the guy chasing down his 2nd consecutive Art Ross, and best player in the world, isn't worth the raise. We all know Edmonton isn't as bad as their record indicates. Good teams have bad years in a league with so much parity, when circumstance doesn't go their way.
He may put up the points but he isn’t better then crosby(although I hate saying that)

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I think that Red Wings andf Dahlin would be great set for Lidstrom 2.0 story.

My vote for that please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad