GDT: Draft Lottery Phase 1, 6/26 8:00PM -- Sabres pick 8th

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
No, the limit of 4 spots of "upward movement" in the draft was one of the concepts they toyed with, but it was dropped. All "lottery teams", ie the top 15, have a chance to win the first overall pick. Or the 2nd or 3rd pick.

The only difference from previous seasons is that after the first 7 teams, ones that are not in the play-in games, are handled like normal but 8 temporary designations (ie Team A, Team B, etc.) will be used to fill in teams 8 thru 15. Once the play-in round of games are completed the 8 teams that lost and fail to advance to the playoffs will be accounted for.

If one of those temporary designations (Team A, Team B, etc) happens to win the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick then a 2nd lottery will be used to assign the 8 play-in losers to those temporary designations, based on their win % during the regular season. If none of the temp designation teams "wins" a top slot, then there won't be a second lottery and the 8 losing teams will simply be slotted in by their win %.

It sounds much more complicated than it really is.
I don't believe that is true. If a second (3rd, 4th) lottery is required, all teams from the qualifying round will have equal odds for the pick in question. Overall points percent (including qualifying round - my interpretation) will be used to determine draft order for the non-qualifying teams which don't move up in the 2nd lottery (and 3rd, and 4th, lotteries, if needed) and regular points percentage will be used as a tie-break for the seeding of the non-lottery-winning qualifying round losers.

It's a little more complicated than you proposed. Odds for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th lottery are NOT determined by their points percentage in the regular season, and definitely not by their win percentage, as you noted. Odds in the 2nd (3rd 4th) lottery rounds, if required, are equal for all participating qualifying round losers.

At least that's the way I read it.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
According to Howard and Jeremy and Bob MacKenzie.
If the Sabres win the Lottery then we gotta hope the season concludes or they will have a do over.
Seen this a couple places, is this accurate? Is there a protocol in place for if they are forced to call the season?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Seen this a couple places, is this accurate? Is there a protocol in place for if they are forced to call the season?
They are having the lottery round 1 tonight. If the 3 picks are in the bottom 7, nothing with the remaining season/playoffs cancellation can corrupt that. If one of the lottery picks is assigned to qualifying round team participants, and the return-to-play plan does not conclude with a Cup champion, that would seem to throw a wrench in the published plan. I expect, however, the NHL has planned for that contingency, and simply not publicized that contingency agreement. As to the overall draft order in the event the return-to-play plan cannot be executed in totality, they likely have an agreement in place for that, too. (At least one would hope/expect).

Edit: piling on, in particular, if the draft tonight confirmed the first 3 picks involve the bottom 7 teams, and do not involve qualifying round teams, that would be the clearest cut scenario to not have a re-do in the event of a return-to-play suspension or cancellation. IF and ONLY IF, the lottery chose one of the "anonymous" qualifying round teams for a top 3 pick, and the return to play was canceled or suspended, would there be confusion. I assume the regular season points percentage (qual round seeding) would apply. If they made it past the qual round to playoff rounds, I assume normal rounds would apply, and if they did not conclude, tie breaks would be by regular season points percentage, as the current draft rules state.

I don't see too much ambiguity, other than an incomplete playoff round (which likely could be agreed to without controversy). I certainly don't see any logic in the White/Simon/MacKenzie fear mongering, re: Sabres, though I lack the details of their concern.

The Sabres will pick either 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, 8th, 9th. 10th, and that will be determined tonight. After tonight, here will be no ambiguity with the Sabres order in the event of an aborted return to play. Only teams in the qualifying round and playoff rounds would have ambiguity (which again, I believe is straightforwardly reconcilable given NHL communication to date).

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Gotta admit I haven’t been this disinterested in the draft lottery since they started this dumbass format.
Me too. Don't know why I've been posting, other than to clarify misunderstandings. Three beers down already. Time to head into the yard / garden for some pre-draft (pun intended) accomplishments to close the week.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
We need divine intervention:
20200609_212414.jpg

Let us pray...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Will will find out right away when they announce 7 if we are still there or we moved up unless they draw the placeholders as well.

ruff22

May 5, 2007
Tucson, AZ
The usual strategy for the Draft Show is working to perfection...drag everything out with meaningless nonsense until we get tired of waiting for the actual reveal...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad