GDT: Draft Lottery: Habs Picking Top-3 (Wish for Very Few Whistles in Sharks/Knights Game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Happy with the outcome. #3 is an improvement over #4 (since I see it as Dahlin > Svech >= Zadina > a group of 4-5 players FOR NOW, things will obviously be different a couple years down the road as usual with any draft).

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Do you play poker, Texas Hold em? If you do, you'll know that having the better hand before the final card, or in this case the final 2 cards come.

What would you rather be facing the turn, and the river with, a pair of Aces vs. a pair of Kings or a pair of Kings versus a pair of Aces? When it comes to this final section, we're holding the Aces, compared to Carolina holding the kings. Buffalo has 3 of a kind.

There's always a chance someone gets lucky (ex. Carolina here), but if you look at it, the team with the best odds and the team with the 4th best odds (although our odds were almost the same as Ottawa and Phoenix's) made the final 3. So odds do matter.

Odds matter when the differences are large and when the event gets repeated over a significant number of times.

They are largely irrelevant when it's a one off event and the margin is small.

Odds are based on normal distributions. They are comprised of saying 'if you do this a 1000+ times,' this is what the distribution will look like.

The draft lottery isn't like this. It would matter if you had a 90%+ chance of winning for example. But we don't. 60 vs 30 in a one off event is largely irrelevant.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm happy for Buffalo. They got screwed over Connor McDavid.

It shouldn't have happened at our expense. Six years of shit management, would have made a huge difference for us. f***.

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
MB better make some big moves or I won't bother with next year, and save $200 for the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad