GDT: Draft Lottery 5/8/2023 8 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
"this organization is cursed"

A lot of replies like this so I'm not going to quote an individual poster. It sure seems that there are a lot of folks who have heard all about Bedard and Fantilli and don't know much about Leo Carlsson. Thanks Porty.

I've been following draft prospects all year and in my opinion we just got very lucky to suck bad enough in a year where the quality of Leo Carlsson would be available with the 3rd pick, and we got that pick.

I would take Carlsson ahead of any draft prospect since Dahlin, or maybe since Matthews*. So in my opinion we just got luckier than all those teams since then who won the first overall pick. That's amazing!

*Not suggesting he'll be as good as Cale Makar or Jack Hughes but I think as draft prospects he'd be the best bet to pick.

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
Baugh. Good riddance. I’m pleased we now don’t have to sit through all the bedard “won’t sign in Columbus” long term. Or have him actually be a bust. Then we’s have to live with that.

I movin right through these stages

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

A lot of replies like this so I'm not going to quote an individual poster. It sure seems that there are a lot of folks who have heard all about Bedard and Fantilli and don't know much about Leo Carlsson. Thanks Porty.

I've been following draft prospects all year and in my opinion we just got very lucky to suck bad enough in a year where the quality of Leo Carlsson would be available with the 3rd pick, and we got that pick.

I would take Carlsson ahead of any draft prospect since Dahlin, or maybe since Matthews*. So in my opinion we just got luckier than all those teams since then who won the first overall pick. That's amazing!

*Not suggesting he'll be as good as Cale Makar or Jack Hughes but I think as draft prospects he'd be the best bet to pick.
@majormajor What would be your ranking between Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov and Smith? Or I guess, three rankings of those four (one based on floor, one based on ceiling and one based on the order you’d pick them)?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Gotta admit finishing 2nd to last and then picking 3rd feels a bit disappointing and I managed to convince myself months ago they'll pick 2nd and take Fantilli :) But then again out of all the spots they could've landed, 4th would've actually had the greatest individual odds at 40% or so, average being 3. So pretty expected outcome.

Now I'm just going to hope both Fantilli and Carlsson absolutely tear it up at the worlds so that the narrative will again be "who goes 2nd" between Fantilli/Carlsson and not who goes 3rd between Carlsson/Smith. Interesting to see what happens with Michkov, I wouldn't be surprised if Ducks pick him. I also wouldn't be surprised if he falls to 5-10.

Reactions: ProfessorFink22

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
@majormajor What would be your ranking between Fantilli, Carlsson, Michkov and Smith? Or I guess, three rankings of those four (one based on floor, one based on ceiling and one based on the order you’d pick them)?

Overall it's basically tied between Fantilli and Carlsson at 2nd with Michkov and Smith significantly less appealing. And that value difference is mostly about floor. All four have crazy high 100 pt ceilings but only Carlsson and Fantilli have high floors. They'll be valuable players. Michkov and Smith might be giving up so much the other way that their overall value is low, although I do expect them to at least be able to score a lot on the powerplay.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Also, why are people making a big deal about the Weekes thing?? All he really did, was say what he did sooner than he was supposed to, right?? How do you think he had all those team related draft picks statistics ready to go??

The reason the CBJ were “set” to pick at #3, was literally in the rules after SJ went to #4, correct?? Weekes just didn’t give people watching the time to come to terms/realize it yet, no??

That said, what ever happened to the ping pong balls?? What is the explanation they give to not hold the actual lottery, the picking of the balls ‘live’??
TV people generally do their homework with stats in advance. it doesn't mean they have to know the results in advance. I'm willing to be the league clamps down even more on who knows the answer in advance next season. They could do this show where Bill Daly is the only guy on TV who knows the results before they are announced if they keep all of the others who were witnesses to the lottery sequestered.

I'm sure they think people watching the balls get picked is "boring" but there is no reason they couldn't do it live like a PowerBall drawing. Its just picking 4 balls 2 different times and cross referencing a list.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Also, tonight was a complete embarrassment for ESPN.

The Weekes thing. I don’t even blame Kevin himself but someone at ESPN completely screwed the pooch.

Then Chris Chelios… you’re not on NBC Sports Chicago like your daughter, you douche. You’re on ESPN. Talk about another team when prompted by your host on a NATIONAL (not Chicago) broadcast. Or quit ESPN and join her in Chicago if you can’t contain your excitement for 5 minutes, like a 15-year-old girl getting asked to prom. What an unprofessional ass.

Awful look for ESPN and the league tonight.

Last edited:

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
TV people generally do their homework with stats in advance. it doesn't mean they have to know the results in advance. I'm willing to be the league clamps down even more on who knows the answer in advance next season. They could do this show where Bill Daly is the only guy on TV who knows the results before they are announced if they keep all of the others who were witnesses to the lottery sequestered.

I'm sure they think people watching the balls get picked is "boring" but there is no reason they couldn't do it live like a PowerBall drawing. Its just picking 4 balls 2 different times and cross referencing a list.
It's also a once a year thing. People will watch the most boring thing if it's once a year and it's about something they care about.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Being a Jackets and Ducks fan i kind of expected us to both drop.
Least populated american citys with NHL teams, the NHL wasn't gonna let either of us have #1 and they weren't gonna let Coyotes or SJ get it either.
Columbus Ohio is the 14th most populated city in the US. More than Nashville, Vegas, and Detroit.

Reactions: I3LI3

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

And if they don’t draft Carlsson?

Reactions: I3LI3

nippanappa

Nov 26, 2018
There's so much money in hockey and NHL business it was obvious they wanted to put the big name to a big market.

However, CBJ will get an awesome center prospect anyway so it could be worse. Dropping to #4 would've broken my heart.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
It’s time to end this stupid lottery, I wasnt expecting to win it, but we should be drafting 2nd where we placed it. The lottery doesn’t prevent tanking. And how stupid is it to release the ping pong drawing afterwards? Why not just show it when you do it? Especially when you can’t even do the reveal right! It does nothing but lead to the conspiracy with the lack of transparency, its just the dumbest way to go about the process

Last edited:
Reactions: NotTooWideArena

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Columbus Ohio is the 14th most populated city in the US. More than Nashville, Vegas, and Detroit.
...and more than Seattle, Denver, D.C., Boston, Raleigh, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, St. Louis, Tampa, and whatever city we attribute the Panthers to, and others I've probably forgotten. In terms of Metro Statistical Area population, Colombus (including Marion & Zanesville) ranks #32. Not that any of this makes sense, e.g. Pittsburgh counts Weirton in their MSA?

Reactions: EspenK

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

That’s why I’ve had a issue with Aarons reporting.

He’s created a 2 player draft for his followes and everything after that is a major failure

Carlsson is a franchise C prospect and with a positive spin Columbus was the only top4 pick in the East.

Columbus should have never had the chance to draft Carlsson like prospect with their roster and he could be the final missing piece from the core

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
After nights sleep I am now happy with 3rd. Hawks winning the thing was probably the main issue anyways.. lol

Cant wait to watch Carlsson at WC. And maybe I'll also keep my eye on Fantilli in case Carlsson out-performs him and the race for #2 gets closer. Wouldnt be that shocking considering the Carlsson has played against men for 2 seasons now

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
...and more than Seattle, Denver, D.C., Boston, Raleigh, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, St. Louis, Tampa, and whatever city we attribute the Panthers to, and others I've probably forgotten. In terms of Metro Statistical Area population, Colombus (including Marion & Zanesville) ranks #32. Not that any of this makes sense, e.g. Pittsburgh counts Weirton in their MSA?
Not to nitpick a census topic on a hockey forum, but Marion and Zanesville are in the Columbus combined statistical area not MSA. The MSA is 32nd, but the CSA moves up to like 25th.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Admittedly hadn't watched more than 30 minutes of Carlsson but it looks kinda like a boy one step into manhood trying to control that (big) man sized body. He's a bull. Coaching kids 14 up to 17 I've seen alot of it. They're talented but not 100% in control of a 180+ pounds of body

I bet he gets faster and stronger still. He's intelligent and thats harder if not impossible to teach. I hope he has Gretzky type instincts. They were scary!

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I was hoping for a miracle.
I agree with others it feels a bit rigged to send the next Messiah to Columbus or Anaheim or Phoenix wasn't in the cards.
Now for me I'm happy picking 3rd, I was really worried about 4th and the bind we could be in (Russian vs another wing, etc).

Let me ask this - once Columbus was announced as 3rd (again big snafu by ESPN) was there any way Chicago couldn't have picked first? I assumed they won the lottery but just the system could Arizona have picked first and Chicago 2nd (If Chicago won 1st draw)?

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I was hoping for a miracle.
I agree with others it feels a bit rigged to send the next Messiah to Columbus or Anaheim or Phoenix wasn't in the cards.
Now for me I'm happy picking 3rd, I was really worried about 4th and the bind we could be in (Russian vs another wing, etc).

Let me ask this - once Columbus was announced as 3rd (again big snafu by ESPN) was there any way Chicago couldn't have picked first? I assumed they won the lottery but just the system could Arizona have picked first and Chicago 2nd (If Chicago won 1st draw)?
Yes, Anaheim could have won the first draw and Chicago won the second draw and picked second.

Reactions: JacketsDavid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad