Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Happy Lottery Day, HFCBJ!

What will the hockey gods do?

Let's post in here for the remainder of the day. Going to re-open the running draft thread tomorrow, once this is all done. (I know we don't have a lot of experience with it, but it's the same format we use for playoff series threads, for example.)

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I've always been optimistic about the draft lottery in previous years.

This year I am convinced we will draft 4th in the lottery. The pessimism has been beaten into me.

Also, if you've ever done anything for luck in previous lotteries, don't do it today. It clearly never worked.

It's the day to do the opposite of everything you've ever thought. George is a winner, Elaine is a loser and Jerry is Even Steven.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
To quote Zendaya/MJ from Spider-Man no way home, expect disappointment and you’ll never be disappointed

I’m not expecting any miracles tonight. But damn would it be nice.

If we win the lottery I’ll change my tune on Brad Larsen and make my avatar him for the rest of the summer to apologize for going in on him so hard after the Pittsburgh game

If we get second, I’m thrilled.

Which is why I’m expecting third. Why third? Well because then that makes us pick between smith and Carlsson, which would make me believe we take Smith and then everyone here goes up in arms about it. It’s almost the worst case scenario to make this management team pick between these two players.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I've seen Simashev be physical and play very well positionally. His transition skating is a huge asset in both directions. I think there's big shutdown potential there, and combine that with the ability to skate pucks, it's a great combination.
Do you see more overall value in him than in Willander?

Want to see a weird player?

I love Juraj Pekarcik. He seems to be all athletic gifts right now - great speed, reckless abandon, all out effort, inexhaustible workrate - but no refinement in form or how to play with structure. Very strange skater. But it seems like there's a lot of upside here?

He might never become a scorer, he hasn't scored in the Slovak league, although he might not be getting real ice time. Can this guy become a great checking forward? It seems like he could become very difficult to play against. I really don't know what to make of him.

@tunnelvision do you have a read on Pekarcik?

I've made very similar notes from a couple game tapes and that scouting video. Always chases hard and isn't afraid to use his body to push people to create turnovers. Puck management seemed to be the biggest weakness, which was kind of surprising because he doesn't have awful hands for a "checking line winger". Pretty effective at stealing pucks but once he gets it doesn't seem to know how to protect and what to do with it. His passing was particularly bad in the semis vs USA.

There's definitely potential with his tools. He could be a type of prospect who would benefit a lot by working with a skills coach like McCudden. Someone who could teach him how to pick up pucks off the wall and to buy time on cycle plays, and just make right, simple decisions in general to serve as a reliable bottom-6 forward.

Based on that tweet someone posted here, CBJ, NYR, NJ and FLA were talking to him/expressing interest at the tournament. Assuming none of CBJ picks in rounds 2-7 are traded, in which round would you be comfortable drafting him?

Reactions: majormajor

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
For me, hope doesn't require a reason.

Part of my brain keeps reminding me "unless the fix is in, there's a greater-than-zero chance ...." As comforting as it is to speculate about conspiracies, it would be way more comforting to be watching Bedard (or Fantilli) in rookie camp in July.

C'mon ping-pong balls! Do us right!

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not only is today lottery day, it's also the day that, at work, we demonstrate the work-in-progress webapp I've been hacking on for a couple years to NIH folks. So I get double stress today!

(Thankfully I'm not the one running the demo; I'm just there in case questions need to be answered. But still. :scared: )

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Not only is today lottery day, it's also the day that, at work, we demonstrate the work-in-progress webapp I've been hacking on for a couple years to NIH folks. So I get double stress today!

(Thankfully I'm not the one running the demo; I'm just there in case questions need to be answered. But still. :scared: )

Coincidentally, today begins day 1 of release week for my team, a culmination of ~2 years of work.

:banana:

Reactions: Viqsi

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

My best friend's job has major new software going live today (they're finally upgrading to Workday/Salesforce) so she gets to put out little fires with that probably well past the actual draft. I'm honestly jealous because I'm so nervous I'm nauseous and for some reason my own job is pretty quiet today.

Reactions: Viqsi and Monk

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My best friend's job has major new software going live today (they're finally upgrading to Workday/Salesforce) so she gets to put out little fires with that probably well past the actual draft. I'm honestly jealous because I'm so nervous I'm nauseous and for some reason my own job is pretty quiet today.
Oh G-d. She has my full sympathy. Those kind of rollouts are hell. :(

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Any good predictions on when the deciding moment will be tonight? Asking so I know roughly when to pull the stream up on my phone while out to dinner.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Any good predictions on when the deciding moment will be tonight? Asking so I know roughly when to pull the stream up on my phone while out to dinner.
The Edmonton/Vegas game starts at 8:30 and the draft is scheduled to start at 8, so I'd guess they'll get to the first overall around 8:15-8:20 to leave a little time for discussion.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Coincidentally, today begins day 1 of release week for my team, a culmination of ~2 years of work.

:banana:
Lol, same here, last week was one deadline and then the next four weeks have varying forms of deadlines and submissions, also a culmination of years of work. :D

But at least today I worry about nothing but the lottery. I'll do my small part (have not done so in previous years so can't be jinxing this way) but am expecting 4th... or:
Which is why I’m expecting third. Why third? Well because then that makes us pick between smith and Carlsson, which would make me believe we take Smith and then everyone here goes up in arms about it. It’s almost the worst case scenario to make this management team pick between these two players.
This. I'd hate to pick third and then have them choose Will Smith. I'll trust their judgement better than mine but it'd be tough to adjust to that order.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Get to see too much of Bettman probably. Guy looks like the face on a box of Lemonheads.

Pray for 1, thrilled with 2 and will live with 3.
Then wait for draft and see what might transpire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad