Speculation: draft day trades..boom or bust??

Will we see as many trades as we expect?

• Total voters

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
So far over the last yr or so I find there has been a ton of trade rumors before deadline/draft but when the time comes we are left wanting. So what do you guys think? Will this draft gives us the trades we have been waiting for or are we going to be left wanting again?

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
From a Montreal fan every time I see a trade from the habs I always go "wtf" in rage, confusion, or simply wtf because the trade is so pointless its laughable.

Yet here I am hoping Pacioretty is traded

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think we will see 2 trades in the top 12 picks. Plus, I think we will see at least 1 big trade. Excited to see what happens tonight / this weekend.

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
IIRC the last few years there has been a go0od amoutn of activity in the 1-2 weeks between the Cup and the Draft. Almost nothign so far. With that in mind, I am feelign this draft will feature 1 of the 2 extremes. Either very disappointing or packed with big moves. I don't see much chance for a middle-ground. I saw we see our 1st semi-significant trade of the day between 2 and 3 Eastern time.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
All I want is to hear and see

"We have a trade to announce... I think you'll want to hear this.."

latest

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think anytime you get all of the GMs in one room there's a chance for some trades, but I don't think this draft is good enough to result in a lot of movement.

Might be some foundations set for trades between now and July 1, though.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think anytime you get all of the GMs in one room there's a chance for some trades, but I don't think this draft is good enough to result in a lot of movement.

Might be some foundations set for trades between now and July 1, though.

I think that is exactly why there will be movement. Some teams will fall in love with their player, other teams will see 3+ guys at their spot that they like fairly equally and trade back while still taking one of them.

Edit: Which means I dont think it will be crazy expensive to move up in the 2nd half of the draft which allows for more movement.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think we will see a few trades. Its never as much as they make it seem like it will be.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I believe that some trades will occur this year for 2 reasons.

1- the salary cap increased a lot this year and so teams have more wiggle room to get trades done.

2- quite a few teams have cap space already and are in trade rumours etc.

Now all that extra money simply means more GMs will overspend on July 1st because lots of dumb GMs out there, but a few teams I feel, legitimately want to improve their teams through trade.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Doug Armstrong just came out in an interview this week and said the market is very quiet. Not much going on.

He said most of the media speculation and rumors are not reflective of the actual market. So this will be a complete Bust.

Way too many “insiders” relying on click bait.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
I feel there's going to be one large move involving either Ottawa (EK) or Montreal (Patches or 1st), other than that I see minor trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad