GDT: Draft Day 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Mediocre stats playing high school. Why is Ali ranked 53 by Button?

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Looking forward with a core of relatively

X Larkin Raymond
X Kasper X
X Veleno X
X Rasmussen X

Edvinsson Seider
X X
X X

Ned
Husso
Cossa

Wings are in a real solid place with all the most important pieces filled

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I never included a reply with Ogee’s clip. It sounds about right. I might include that 6:04 defenseman, Johansson, on the list but I just wish I had heard of at least one of the other guys

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Looking forward with a core of relatively

X Larkin Raymond
X Kasper X
X Veleno X
X Rasmussen X

Edvinsson Seider
X X
X X

Ned
Husso
Cossa

Wings are in a real solid place with all the most important pieces filled
Berggren Soderblom and Mazur could fill in some of those xs. Also depends on how long we keep Bert and Vrana.

Reactions: Barry Amsterdam

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I reckon Stevie snagging Husso from the Blues is a good thing, since that means he "stole" the 1 goalie Kenny could maybe afford...)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So normal day for you?

I’m personally in love with the Buchelnikov pick.

Not normal. I've liked Stevie's draft's in the past.

Last year on day 2, I had Buium, Savage and Dower-Nillson on my list.
3/6

The year before i had Niederbach, Wallinder, Hanas, Viro, Cotton, Bednar.
5/11

This year 0/8.

So, yeah, I don't like it.
Not saying it can't work out.

But initially? I'm just glad I like Kasper, or this feels a lot like it did the year we drafted Rasmussen.

Mehs,
all the way down the line.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Between drafting Buchelnikov and trading for Husso, I am pleased for today. Finnish goalies tend to develop late and become very strong.

I see why they opted for a slightly less skilled, but more certain pick in Kaspar, when they knew they were going to (likely) nab Buchelnikov at 52. Kid absolutely oozes offensive skill and already plays a lot of games on smaller NA-style ice in the MHL.

He's also a full year younger than almost all the other top scorers in the MHL this year. Huge upside, low-risk pick at 52.

Last edited:

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
I posted this on the main boards, but wanted to say the same thing here.

With it all over and done with, I think this was the most I’ve enjoyed a draft in a long time. I also think that this draft class will be one of the most interesting that we’ve ever seen, because so many of these players are wildcards after the pandemic-impacted seasons. We could see a lot of late-round picks become bonafide NHLers.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
Finally got to catch up.....once again Im left scratching my head on day 2. Last year they had all those top 100 picks and pissed them all away on trades and moving up...they grabbed good players with Buium and Mazer but definitely left some good players on the board, who will be NHLers and who were widely recognized as good prospects.

Now, this year, they had all those 4th round picks and that early 5th, and didnt move at all....when everyone basically said that the meat of this draft was between 25-65. Im pretty happy with Buchelnikov, and James definitely seems like the type of guy our scouts like to take in the 2nd or 3rd...but man, it would have been cool to turn all those extra picks into a Sykora or Lutz or Rohrer or Hamara or Persson. Seems like the strategy in this weak draft was to throw as many darts a possible....which turned out great in 2017.

Oh well, still extremely pumped about Kasper and Buchelnikov could be really exciting if hes allowed to ever leave Russia...

Reactions: AD1066 and Frk It

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

In this interview Yzerman mentions vaguely that he had "1 or 2 other things" he wanted to get done but wasn't able to work something out. That suggests he was trying to work on a couple trades but obviously nothing happened. It would be interesting to know what he was trying to accomplish but we will never know.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I’m warming up to our picks as usual. My new fav is Brendan Ali. He sat through that whole draft until we picked him in 7. Good luck Brendan

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Best argument I've heard yet for Kasper to pot 30 goals and win the Selke.

That's what I've been saying the last couple of days.

Wheeler lacks any understanding of nuance in a player's game or defensive play off the puck. It's why he falls for flashy sub-5'10" forwards in every draft but underrates a lot of the players that go on to be just as successful or better than his favorites.

I'll go for the guy that can take the puck to the net with a power move 7/10 times over the guy that gets there with a dangle 3/10 times any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad