GDT: Draft Day 2014 (Round 1 6/27, Rounds 2-7 6/28

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Has anyone watched the Ross Mahoney video? Anything interesting in there?

I did nothing real substantive other that minor things. One thing that I caught was that after this draft, and because of added responsibilities as the AGM, they would be shifting some responsibility. Basically probably shifting a couple things off of himself was my impression.

Vogs tried to get Mahoney to weigh in on Traverse City style rookie camps versus Caps and just the one philly rookie game but didn't criticize either really.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Hoping for Fabbri I guess.

Hard to say what they should do. It depends on the scenario.

@DarrenDreger: Florida is considering a number of trade options for the 1st pick, including teams outside the top 10 offering current NHL players...

@DarrenDreger: The Panthers intend on making their decision on whether or not to trade the pick before they get to the Draft floor...so, likely before 5pm.
Green + #13 for #1

Do it GMBM, get your stud defenseman to build around.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Is he really that good? -I'm not complaining that the package is excessive, I have no problem giving that up. Just curious if Ekblad is good enough to warrant a pretty radical shift in (what I thought) our timeline would be.
I think so. He maybe doesn't have as much offensive upside as Jones but he's a better defensive player and uses his body much better. I don't think it would shift their timeline much given the uncertainty surrounding Green overall. Plus, the cap savings would allow them to do some things elsewhere. I don't think that trumps Byfuglien+9 given Tallon's Chicago connection but I'd do it. (Plus at nine there's a better chance Nylander is still available whereas it gets a lot less likely at 13 unless teams really have bought into some of the diva stuff.)

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
I really have no idea if it would be more beneficial to take a player or trade the pick and build the teams strength for now.. I'm just worried about wasting another 2-3 years on backstrom and ovechkin developing new players.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Is he really that good? -I'm not complaining that the package is excessive, I have no problem giving that up. Just curious if Ekblad is good enough to warrant a pretty radical shift in (what I thought) our timeline would be.
I think so.

The list of players granted the "exceptional player" status:

John Tavares
Aaron Ekblad
Connor McDavid
Sean Day

To me, he looks the complete package. His downside looks like a Jason Garrison type player. And I don't buy into the 'never take a defenseman in the top 5' bollocks.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
re: Ekblad trade

I guess it depends on what GMBM feels the window to compete is. Ekblad can be in the NHL next year, but defensemen usually take at least few years to become impact players (Drew Doughty being the notable exception).

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I take it nobody wants to get involved in the Kesler sweepstakes? Really would like the 2nd line center job nailed down for a while. Grabo was fine but not great. I agree we need dman more then anything.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I take it nobody wants to get involved in the Kesler sweepstakes? Really would like the 2nd line center job nailed down for a while. Grabo was fine but not great. I agree we need dman more then anything.

Plenty of folks that do. The talk is in the Acquisitions/Roster building thread.

I agree with the notion that we'r'e gonna see a significant amount of trades tonight.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Wonder if GMBM will announce the pick like GMGM did or like the rest of the GM's.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
gmgm-wink2-o.gif

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Next years chances for last place team to win lottery will be down to 20%... Buffalo is mad, but they're not tanking of course.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It's so simple for me. I do not want us rushed into taking someone we didn't plan on taking, into a position of strength and who likely had no intention of ever playing; that we end up trading for someone into a position of strength, and then asking them to move positions. And then try and trade that player before letting them take a shift where they have played the last 5 years.

If no one wants a certain player, maybe we shouldn't either :dunno:

That all said, we'll take the winger ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad