GDT: Draft Day 2014 (Round 1 6/27, Rounds 2-7 6/28

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Just wanted to say it's awesome that the Capitals drafted an Aussie; first time an Aussie has ever been drafted in the NHL.

Pretty big in the hockey community over here, and whilst the Capitals are a division rival now, I will be making sure I follow him closely, and hopefully he's on the opening roster!

Might even have to pick up a Capitals jersey now with his name on it once he's been assigned a number for camp!

I enjoyed his preseason play and he looked really fast. I'm hoping the best for him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They've drafted centers and Dmen and we've only got 2 that are currently looking to be worth anything, and those are still huge question marks..

Green, Carlson, Alzner, Orlov are drafted. Carrick and Bowey seem to be good and coming. Their d drafting isn't that bad.

Their d problem has been not filling in with the right veterans to balance the group

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Again how so?http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html
using this as an example, I'm never saying the Caps scouts are right, I'm saying it's too early to judge today.
Edit, and no one here seems to have the ability to judge players better then Caps scouts in the past. If you want to take out the past fine, it's irrelevent, you can't judge a draft on the day of the draft.

Does anyone remember the tears that were spilled when Grebauer and Holtby were drafted. Yes that's right folks you were complaining that their favorite unheard of prospect wasn't taken when we had Varly and Neuvirth in the system.

Sorry man anti-BPA/kneejerkreactionfolksthinkingthatanycenterdefensepicksgoingtohelpnextseasonl ganging up on ya.

Halpysback*

Wait walker was that aussie who came to camp?

I should befriend McPhee's kid and scrimmage at a rink owned by laughlin's dog. Apparently that's all it takes to be drafted by these losers

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Green, Carlson, Alzner, Orlov are drafted. Carrick and Bowey seem to be good and coming. Their d drafting isn't that bad.

Their d problem has been not filling in with the right veterans to balance the group

Besides Bowey, you're going back to 2009 with their last okay D pick. I really like Orlov, but he hasn't shown to be a Top 4 lock just yet. While I think he can get there, only 6 potential players (going back to 08) out of 50 isn't great. Hell, now that I look its not even that they don't draft D, they just suck at it. The only Center worth mentioning doesn't even play for us anymore in Eakin, besides him you have to go back to 2006 to find a worth wild Center (Matty P, Backstrom).

So either they aren't great at drafting or they suck at developing. Either way their is nothing about their drafting that is unquestionable.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Happy about Walker. Was impressed with him last camp. Good hockey sense. Figured the Capitals would spend a draft pick on him. Not sure about having to trade back up but no one knows what tea leaves were going on.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think it was interesting if our new reporter picked up the phone and called the 5 teams we jumped and see if they had Walker on their radar.

I think we felt like we had committed so much time to him already, that we didn't want anyone else to nab him and it was worth spending 2 picks to secure the guy.

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
They'd already seen Walker at camp prior to last season. They could have just spent a 7th rounder on him last year.

My understanding is Walker couldn't be drafted last year due to the rules and having spent the previous year playing elsewhere.

I am curious as to which other teams were interested, unfortunately we will never find out.

And yes, I will be buying a Walker jersey as soon as he has his first NHL game :)

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
My understanding is Walker couldn't be drafted last year due to the rules and having spent the previous year playing elsewhere.

I am curious as to which other teams were interested, unfortunately we will never find out.

And yes, I will be buying a Walker jersey as soon as he has his first NHL game :)

He could be drafted, he couldn't be signed as a free agent for that reason.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Jets fan coming in peace. First: Thanks for the useful trade for Pasquale. Sad to see him go, always was a "love Eddy, even though he's not elite"-kind of guy.

Useful depth piece for your AHL team.

But I'm here because of Pavel Kraskosvky, Russian winger we drafted in the 6th round. He plays for Lokomotiv Yaroslavl. As you have quite many Russian users, maybe someone is a Yaroslavl fan who knows him and would like to share some informations about him on our board.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1698517

Thank you :)

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Again how so?http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html
using this as an example, I'm never saying the Caps scouts are right, I'm saying it's too early to judge today.
Edit, and no one here seems to have the ability to judge players better then Caps scouts in the past. If you want to take out the past fine, it's irrelevent, you can't judge a draft on the day of the draft.

Does anyone remember the tears that were spilled when Grebauer and Holtby were drafted. Yes that's right folks you were complaining that their favorite unheard of prospect wasn't taken when we had Varly and Neuvirth in the system.

You're dealing with a decent size group that do actually feel they can evaluate talent better than professional scouts. What's most amusing is they feel this way because they read reports, see YouTube clips, maybe see a game or two (on video) and then compile thier "draft board". These pro scouts, that often have played hockey at a higher level than any of us, who travel to see players many times live....who speak with them, their coaches, etc .....hacks, all of them. They just panic and make illogical moves

Again....I don't know any of these guys they drafted. I don't know who is right here and who is not. I would however take the judgement of the pros over the HF draft nerds. So bring out the "if you knew enough you'd be in the game" quotes....I know how this works. When it come to drafts nerd you're either "with us or against us"

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So could it be argued we did not follow a BPA philosophy?

While I understand all teams want to target certain players, doing so at X cost seems like the equivalent of pushing all in on a.... 3rd round talent, that already seems like a long shot no matter what.

Going for quality over quantity is a viable strategy I suppose, but you are also giving away picks when you simply may not have to. We valued certain players more while valuing our additional picks, less. Maybe its all tied to being a "weak" draft.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Fair to say that as of now this wasn't a very good draft day.

Then again i have lots of faith in our scouts so i'm not going to judge them yet on the players picked as i haven't seen much of any of them.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-breaks-down-washingtons-2014-nhl-draft-haul/

It looks like they didn't have a "best available" philosophy or ranking so much as a list of target players, and the picks were just currency to get those players even when going WAY off the board. If you're going to draft that way you had better be right about your targets AND right about the guys you pass up.

Combined with other RM comments I've read or heard that's not really how I read that. They had players tiered and ranked. My guess is they targeted someone off that list then made moves to make sure they got him. You keep saying "way off the board" but again.... If they didn't feel the guy they wanted would be there on next pick then there is your reason for making moves to get him. Looking at the goalie for example....people talk about them making a panic move and they could have got some goalie without moving up....probably so. If however they had a specific guy in mind among that group I don't see a problem making a move to get the specific guy you want

Your post above makes it sound like they are running around I clown shoes saying "we can get this guy in the 7th but let's trade up to take him in the 3rd". I understand you don't like the picks or the how they were taken....perfectly fine. But do you really feel they are complete idiots with no clue in the world on what's going on?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Combined with other RM comments I've read or heard that's not really how I read that. They had players tiered and ranked. My guess is they targeted someone off that list then made moves to make sure they got him. You keep saying "way off the board" but again.... If they didn't feel the guy they wanted would be there on next pick then there is your reason for making moves to get him. Looking at the goalie for example....people talk about them making a panic move and they could have got some goalie without moving up....probably so. If however they had a specific guy in mind among that group I don't see a problem making a move to get the specific guy you want

Your post above makes it sound like they are running around I clown shoes saying "we can get this guy in the 7th but let's trade up to take him in the 3rd". I understand you don't like the picks or the how they were taken....perfectly fine. But do you really feel they are complete idiots with no clue in the world on what's going on?

Your summary of my positions is hyperbolic and incorrect so further elaboration is impossible without repeating myself and I'm not bothering with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->