GDT: Draft day- 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Corey Pronman

Linus Arnesson, Defense, Djurgardens (Allsvenskan)

Arnesson had a decent season considering he was playing in a men's league as a teenager. He had a great U20 tournament in November, where he was named the event's top defenseman. At the World Juniors, he was just okay, although some scouts believed he was impressive. Arnesson is not a high-upside, flashy player. His style is predicated on keeping the game simple, and playing well in his own end. He has good feet, showing nice techniques on his pivots, crossovers, and first-step bursts. He can close gaps efficiently, and because he plays a physical brand of hockey, he will punish his checks to get the puck from opponents. He makes a lot of stops and smart defensive plays. Despite his lack of offensive skill and imagination, this gives him a lot of value as a prospect. Arnesson is not completely ineffective with the puck, however, as he can make fine outlet passes, and will occasionally use his skating ability to join the rush or activate from the point.

Sound pretty good. Thanks!

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
I didn't realize this board had so many scouts in Sweden, jesus

Pretty funny eh.

As for Peverley and Kelly there is about 10 weeks until training camp. Plenty of time. Disappointing to now have any early picks but would you rather have 2 Cup appearances in 3 years and a solid core, or be Minnesota picking 6-15th every year? Long offseason

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Poor guy couldn't find a stream for the draft earlier.

Linus Arnesson @ Arnesson Linus 4h
Which stream for draft pick?

CptxMorgan

Dangerzone
Jul 3, 2008
Lawrence, MA
Yes, because an 18 year old forward who will be ready to compete for a spot on the NHL roster in the year 2017 is the answer to our anemic depth up front.

It's not like 3 of our top 4 prospects aren't forwards.

And they're all undersized. Would have been nice to pick up a decent sized winger.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
NHL Potential: Top four defenseman

Strengths:
Defensive smarts

Size/strength

First pass breakout

Defensive positioning

Active stick in defensive end

Shutdown ability

Conditioning

All-round skating

Flaws/aspects he needs to work on:
Physicality/’snarl’

Offensive play

Fantasy Hockey Potential: Offensive = 4/10 Defensive = 8/10

NHL Player Comparison:
Douglas Murray

Mattias Ohlund

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
Chiarelli does need to trade Peverley AND Kelly today.

We CAN'T go into next season with the same roster minus Horton, Jagr, Ference and expect to win anything.

We need to upgrade and can't do that if we don't clear space. A 7th round pick for both would be fine.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
lol if we get a bottom pairing defensemen out of the 60th pick in the draft we did well.

That's the easy way out, taking that stance. This isn't the 3rd or 4th round, a 2nd rounder absolutely should be expected to be good. We aren't saying about Spooner "lol if he ever reaches the NHL we did well"....

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
I am more mad about not getting rid of Pevs and/or Kelly. If Bolland can be dump and frolik, you saying the bruins cant? The fact that Chia may keep them both because Horton is not coming back is a scary thought. Will he bank on them coming around and Seguin remembering he is a top player? You will have close to 11 mill tied up in three guys that may not bounce back.

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
He's 3-4 years away, just like every 2nd rounder. People are freaking out like we passed on a top 6 forward who'd step in tomorrow and take Nate's spot.

This is not the NFL draft where you rely on instant contributions from your 2nd rounder.

I like the pick. You can NEVER have enough defense in the developmental pipeline.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Djurgården have financial problems and have to rely a lot on the kids. Arnesson will have a big top 4 role on Djurgårdens team next year. Good news for you.

Thanks! Hope to see him in Dev camp in 2 weeks.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I thought he was pretty great at the WJC. And he can play there next season too. And like I said earlier. Everything points to him having a big role in Djurgården next season due to their financial trouble.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
NHL Potential: Top four defenseman

Strengths:
Defensive smarts

Size/strength

First pass breakout

Defensive positioning

Active stick in defensive end

Shutdown ability

Conditioning

All-round skating

Flaws/aspects he needs to work on:
Physicality/’snarl’

Offensive play

Fantasy Hockey Potential: Offensive = 4/10 Defensive = 8/10

NHL Player Comparison:
Douglas Murray

Mattias Ohlund

A defensive defenseman with no offense is fine... but he isn't physical? No thanks.

Go for the safe picks later in the draft. I prefer the more risky high ceiling guys (like picking Subban last year).

How well has the safe pick in Caron early in that draft worked out?

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Instead of calling it awful becuase you know so much how about telling us what you firends told you about him.
its not what my whl friends have told me...i study prospects, watch hockey in all areas of the world...and then of course my conversations are always hockey related with my friends...we have gone through a lot of the eligible players in the draft and with him, none of us believed he was going to come close to making it. He is soft and panics when he is pursued by forecheckers, prone to turnovers and brings little to no offence...for a defensive dman, thats not good...but you probably know more than I do and can defend all of the Bruins picks...

unifiedtheory

Twitter: @ut_pez
Jun 18, 2007
Burnaby, B.C.
Chiarelli does need to trade Peverley AND Kelly today.

We CAN'T go into next season with the same roster minus Horton, Jagr, Ference and expect to win anything.

We need to upgrade and can't do that if we don't clear space. A 7th round pick for both would be fine.
We can't "upgrade" even if we move them both. At beast (after Tuukka's contract) we'd have around $5-6 million in free cap if we got rid of Peverley and Kelly. We'd need a pair of bottom 6 forwards that can kill penalties to replace those two AND need a top 6 to replace Horton.

People are expecting miracles where they are not possible. This roster is pretty much set for next year because of cap concerns.

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
I am more mad about not getting rid of Pevs and/or Kelly. If Bolland can be dump and frolik, you saying the bruins cant? The fact that Chia may keep them both because Horton is not coming back is a scary thought. Will he bank on them coming around and Seguin remembering he is a top player? You will have close to 11 mill tied up in three guys that may not bounce back.

yeah trade deadline and buyout deadline just passed aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad