Draft and UDFA Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
And this is what this rebuilding process is and should be about. Kaliyev could just be another piece of the puzzle. But, he’s also got a skill set that holds value. It’s about the whole picture.

It just comes down to finding as much talent as possible. Talent for scoring goals, creating goals, preventing goals, etc. Kaliyev is damn talented at putting the puck in the net and would be a nice addition to the organization if they think he can improve his overall game. If not, he's not a kid who is going to pass the Quinn-test.

Reactions: jas

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Here is the link to the fourth and final part of the last Word on Hockey top NCAA prospect list. Top 2019 College Hockey Free Agents - Part 4 - Last Word on Hockey. From this link you can get to the other three parts. These will give you a pretty good idea of top prospects. I've also attached a list from Chris Dilks who covers college hockey for SB Nation. 2019 Top NCAA NHL Free Agents

Unlike two-three years ago when the Rangers were devoid of prospects the Rangers realistically only have 1-3 spots for any prospect free agents including overseas and major junior. The Rangers already have signed Adam Huska and Joey Keane from their own list and we all expect the Rangers to sign the 3 Russian prospects -- Kravtsov, Rykov and Shestyorkin. The Rangers also might sign Patrick Virta and according to Rick Carpinello this morning, Morgan Barron. I expect the Rangers to be selective looking to fill in organizational gaps. This means looking for a right handed defenseman and a scoring winger. Perhaps someone like Grant Hutton of Miami and Johnny Walker of Arizona State.

So what college UFA is left that may intrigue the Rangers? Hirose of course. Carpenter?

Reactions: egelband

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
Joey

Next week should be much busier. Only a few teams, like Princeton and Michigan State, have been eliminated from their conference tournaments so far or didn't make the playoffs, such as Connecticut. There are 44 college teams still playing in their conference playoffs. 22 of those teams will be knocked out this weekend. Unless the teams that lose are in the top 16 of the college playoff rankings and might still make the NCAA tournament, those teams seasons will end and you will see a deluge of potential prospects become available next week. The conference tournament finals will be the following weekend and I believe the NCAA final 16 will be announced a week from this upcoming Sunday. Check back Monday for a list of potential signees.
Man a lot of Undrafted FA's signed today. :help:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
What is the consensus on Kaliyev? I see a lot of people have him in their top 10.

Best shot in the draft and high end offensive skills and understanding. Questions about how complete his game is, lots of people question his compete level. He's firmly in my top 10, my motto is "when in doubt, trust the guy who shoots the puck the best/most"

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
We should convince Patrick Khodorenko to turn pro, a guy that should have been drafted every year he's been available, got decent upside…

Reactions: Joey Bones

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Every year, we get all hyped up for undrafted college free agents, but every year they just turn into depth players. Not that it's bad to sign them, but I am not losing any sleep over not being able to sign Kalle Kossila, Sam Anas, Drake Caggiula, Zach Aston-Reese or Austin Czarnik.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Some college free agents turn out pretty well but anyway.....

Looking at where the Rangers are as far as the number of contracts they carry I have some questions:

Do we bring back Claesson who is an RFA? I ask this because it looks to me like the Rangers are ready to move on to Hajek and with Skjei, Staal and Smith still here and with Lindgren also pushing him is he worthwhile keeping? I'm kind of on the fence. He is a good depth defenseman and a good teammate.

I'm kind of counting on Bergman back to Sweden. I don't see a path for him to a Rangers job anyway.

Nell is absolutely gone and Halverson is fighting for his life. If Halverson can last out the season strong I'd give him one more year.

I see the Rangers with 12 to 14 openings with hopefully Kravtsov, Rykov and Shestyorkin filling three of those slots. Possible other prospect signings Reunanen, Barron and Virta. Virta I'm not sure about--I'm kind of on the fence with him. Not against signing Gross but back to the OHL for him if we do. If we could sign Lundkvist and leave him in Sweden.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It just comes down to finding as much talent as possible. Talent for scoring goals, creating goals, preventing goals, etc. Kaliyev is damn talented at putting the puck in the net and would be a nice addition to the organization if they think he can improve his overall game. If not, he's not a kid who is going to pass the Quinn-test.

For Kaliyev to even get a chance to pass the Quinn test, he'll need to work on a few things first. And while that's trust for an 18 year old kid, Kaliyev is definitely more of the high-risk, high-reward type.

In theory, the Rangers should be in a position to go that route, it's just a question of when the risk is worth it.

Top 10? Not comfortable with that.

Somewhere in the 11-20 range? Yeah, I can dig it.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
For Kaliyev to even get a chance to pass the Quinn test, he'll need to work on a few things first. And while that's trust for an 18 year old kid, Kaliyev is definitely more of the high-risk, high-reward type.

In theory, the Rangers should be in a position to go that route, it's just a question of when the risk is worth it.

Top 10? Not comfortable with that.

Somewhere in the 11-20 range? Yeah, I can dig it.

Yeah, that's about where I am with him. Though I can't quite get him above 15 no matter how hard I try.

That being said, if the Rangers are in that range, I'm not sure I see them taking him over someone like Caufield or Brink. Very talented kids in their own right but not quite as much finger crossing involved.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Yeah, that's about where I am with him. Though I can't quite get him above 15 no matter how hard I try.

That being said, if the Rangers are in that range, I'm not sure I see them taking him over someone like Caufield or Brink. Very talented kids in their own right but not quite as much finger crossing involved.
I was just about to say Kaliyev feels like a kid where the combine interview would be male or break for the Rangers to feel comfortable on swinging on a pick with him or not. But I agree, he’s not totally quite to the Bode Wilde area, he’s certainly on that road though

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
kaliyev is solidly in my top 10. i have him 9 or 10 depending. kids legit. dont think he falls very far below 12 but I'm one who hopes he does. right into our lap.

he can finish. that's a skill that you don't just lose or that doesnt translate. that shot, the velocity, the picking corners and the ability to beat goalies with a blistering one timer is something that this kid just does. he's a natural shooter. he can finish and he knows where to go to do just that.

his skating is under sold big time. the compete thing, eh... not worried. he just knows where to be to score goals. those numbers hes putting up are stupid. 50/50/100 ??? seriously

skill wise, hes wayyyy better than most here want to allow. the "one dimension" thing is over done.

you want the best sniper in the draft hands down ?

art kaliyev.

you give me dylan cozens and art kaliyev in round 1 and it can't get much better than that imo.

good read here

Bulldogs sniper Kaliyev wants to show he’s more than that at CHL Top Prospects Game

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
kaliyev is solidly in my top 10. i have him 9 or 10 depending. kids legit. dont think he falls very far below 12.

he can finish. that's a skill that you don't just lose or that doesnt translate. that shot, the velocity, the picking corners and the ability to beat goalies with a blistering one timer is something that this kid just does. he's a natural shooter. he can finish and he knows where to go to do just that.

his skating is under sold big time. the compete thing, eh... not worried. he just knows where to be to score goals. those numbers hes putting up are stupid. 50/50/100 ??? seriously

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second (keeping in mind that I have Kaliyev in the top half of my list).

I feel like the whole, "he can finish and you don't lose that line" is often used when there is a goal-scoring forward prospect with sizable question marks surrounding other areas of his game.

And when they bust, it usually turns out that the ability to shoot, while great, doesn't mean much if you can't get in a position to use it. That, in turn, usually leads to conversations about why the newest guy is different and better than the previous guys.

I say this as someone whose seen many of the same statements made over a 20-25 year period.

That's not to say Kaliyev might not be worth the risk at the right spot, but taking those kids earlier can have its drawbacks as well.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second (keeping in mind that I have Kaliyev in the top half of my list).

I feel like the whole, "he can finish and you don't lose that line" is often used when there is a goal-scoring forward prospect with sizable question marks surrounding other areas of his game.

And when they bust, it usually turns out that the ability to shoot, while great, doesn't mean much if you can't get in a position to use it. That, in turn, usually leads to conversations about why the newest guy is different and better than the previous guys.

I say this as someone whose seen many of the same statements made over a 20-25 year period.

That's not to say Kaliyev might not be worth the risk at the right spot, but taking those kids earlier can have its drawbacks as well.
Not to mention the people they’re shooting on get way better as they move up levels

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

i have seen nothing that says to me that this kid doesn't know how to get into spots to score and in fact, he seems to know exactly where to go and what to do and when he gets there he knows how to finish.

i recall that he finished top 5 out of 40 of the best 19 prospects in the on ice testing at the top prospects game.

The Sport Testing Combine offered all players in attendance the opportunity to showcase their individual strengths while gauging their fitness and skill levels among their peers for NHL management and scouts.

On-ice tests at The Centrium included forward and backward sprints, reaction, weave agility, and transition agility drills performed with and without the puck before the program shifted to off-ice performance measures at Red Deer College that included strength testing, agility runs, and leg power evaluations.

his agility results we're impressive showing great hands and skating. the skating and the hands show me thats he more than a one trick pony. hes a lot more intuitive than those here believe. understands the nuances of how to get into scoring areas.

i continue to believe this kid has a more developed skill package than just the ability to shoot.

10-15 range is just about right for him. would love to add his "dimension" to this team.

ARTHUR KALIYEV PERFORMS WELL IN TOP PROSPECTS SPORT TESTING COMBINE – Hamilton Bulldogs

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This loser point crap is killing the Rangers.

Great little write-up here

New York Rangers: The loser point and the difference this season

Well it's an interesting premise, except that it doesn't really account for the loser points picked up by other teams.

For example, Florida and Colorado have one less OTL than us; Detroit has three less.

If were take away the loser point for all teams, we move into a points tie with Anaheim and Vancouver for fifth, not second. The gap between us and the 2nd and 3rd picking teams would slide down to six points. Technically, Florida would benefit a little more from the elimination OTL points than we would.

Essentially we'd bump a little in the draft order and have some space between us and the teams we're currently tied with. But we wouldn't climb all the way to second, or even the top four.

Which makes a lot of sense. I viewed us picking 5th - 7th without any lottery kabuki stuff. We currently sit tied for 7th. If not for the loser point, we'd be tied for 5th.

We were never seen as being one of the three worst teams in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad