Draft and UDFA Thread: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
@jas

To answer your question in the last thread between Brink, Caufield or Dorofeyev.... my answer is simple....

All three because skills!!

:popcorn:

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
My rudimentary opinion:

Brink
Caufield
Doro

Brink and Caufield are extremely close. Starting to get sold on Caufield.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just for the hell of it, I went back and looked at the top 12 picks from every draft since 2005.

I picked 2005 because I consider it a turning point in how teams approach roster building, and I chose the top 12 because I feel like that's a good number that tends to be prior to a lot of talent drops in many drafts. I also wanted to look just a tad beyond the typical "top 10" scope that we often utilize. I can't guarantee the numbers are 100 percent accurate, I am sleepy and I don't have time to review everything. However, I think it's at least fairly close.

Like anything else, we can spin some of these numbers however they want because that's just how data works. For example, this list doesn't take into account expansion, trades, or gaps between top 12 picks. Some teams had a great deal of success between top 12 selections, and tend to bounce in and out of the grouping. Other teams practically buy real estate in this neighborhood. Furthermore, some teams may have picks clustered together, while others may lean heavy on the top 5.

For example, Edmonton has a higher number of first overall picks. So while there are teams that are close to their total for top 12 picks, Edmonton has generally picked higher.

But it's still a very interesting look at teams over the last 14 years. Additionally, I also added a number in parenthesis based on whether the team would be picking in the top 12 if the draft were held today.

TeamPicksExpandedTotal
Carolina1010
Islanders1010
Edmonton10(+1)11
Phoenix/Arizona99
Columbus88
Florida8(+1)9
Atlanta/Winnipeg88
Buffalo8(+1)9
Vancouver7(+1)8
Colorado7 (+2)9
Los Angeles6(+1)7
Toronto66
Minnesota55
Montreal55
Chicago5(+1)6
Ottawa55
Philadelphia55
Tampa55
Dallas55
Anaheim4(+1)5
Rangers4(+1)5
Boston44
Nashville44
New Jersey4(+1)5
Pittsburgh33
San Jose33
Washington33
Calgary33
St. Louis22
Detroit2(+1)3
Vegas11
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So, a few hot takes:

Carolina, Edmonton and the Islanders, wow.

Easy to forget how many kicks at the can some of the today's top teams had to acquire talent.

Several teams have more appearances in the top 12 than I would've guessed.

Several teams have fewer appearances in the top 12 than I would've guessed.

Larger market teams seem to have an easier time pulling the nose up and climbing in and out of the top 12.

Smart management, quality scouts, and the ability to find talent to augment first round picks is essential. Your draft cannot be "done" after the 12th pick.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Just for the hell of it, I went back and looked at the top 12 picks from every draft since 2005.

I picked 2005 because I consider it a turning point in how teams approach roster building, and I chose the top 12 because I feel like that's a good number that tends to be prior to a lot of talent drops in many drafts. I also wanted to look just a tad beyond the typical "top 10" scope that we often utilize. I can't guarantee the numbers are 100 percent accurate, I am sleepy and I don't have time to review everything. However, I think it's at least fairly close.

Like anything else, we can spin some of these numbers however they want because that's just how data works. For example, this list doesn't take into account expansion, trades, or gaps between top 12 picks. Some teams had a great deal of success between top 12 selections, and tend to bounce in and out of the grouping. Other teams practically buy real estate in this neighborhood. Furthermore, some teams may have picks clustered together, while others may lean heavy on the top 5.

For example, Edmonton has a higher number of first overall picks. So while there are teams that are close to their total for top 12 picks, Edmonton has generally picked higher.

But it's still a very interesting look at teams over the last 14 years. Additionally, I also added a number in parenthesis based on whether the team would be picking in the top 12 if the draft were held today.

TeamPicksExpandedTotal
Carolina1010
Islanders1010
Edmonton10(+1)11
Phoenix/Arizona99
Columbus88
Florida8(+1)9
Atlanta/Winnipeg88
Buffalo8(+1)9
Vancouver7(+1)8
Colorado7 (+2)9
Los Angeles6(+1)7
Toronto66
Minnesota55
Montreal55
Chicago5(+1)6
Ottawa55
Philadelphia55
Tampa55
Dallas55
Anaheim4(+1)5
Rangers4(+1)5
Boston44
Nashville44
New Jersey4(+1)5
Pittsburgh33
San Jose33
Washington33
Calgary33
St. Louis22
Detroit2(+1)3
Vegas11
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So, a few hot takes:

Carolina, Edmonton and the Islanders, wow.

Easy to forget how many kicks at the can some of the today's top teams had to acquire talent.

Several teams have more appearances in the top 12 than I would've guessed.

Several teams have fewer appearances in the top 12 than I would've guessed.

Larger market teams seem to have an easier time pulling the nose up and climbing in and out of the top 12.

Smart management, quality scouts, and the ability to find talent to augment first round picks is essential. Your draft cannot be "done" after the 12th pick.

And while Gorton has attempted to get in the top ten, by adding multiple 1sts, he’s has structured his approach to not be completely reliant on picking in the top 3-5. It’s going to come down to smart trades - adding pieces like DeAngelo, Hajek, Howden and Lemieux - acquiring multiple picks, including 1st rounders - a potential of 11 over four years, and hitting on players beyond the 1st round -Keane and Barron look the most promising so far, and Buchnevich as a 3rd rounder certainly is a win. Then you can make judicious free agent signings at the right time. It’s been 13 months since the current process began. One draft is not changing this team's fortunes overnight.

Reactions: egelband and Trxjw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
And while Gorton has attempted to get in the top ten, by adding multiple 1sts, he’s has structured his approach to not be completely reliant on picking in the top 3-5. It’s going to come down to smart trades - adding pieces like DeAngelo, Hajek, Howden and Lemieux - acquiring multiple picks, including 1st rounders - a potential of 11 over four years, and hitting on players beyond the 1st round -Keane and Barron look the most promising so far, and Buchnevich as a 3rd rounder certainly is a win. Then you can make judicious free agent signings at the right time. It’s been 13 months since the current process began. One draft is not changing this team's fortunes overnight.

He's pre "The Letter" but I'd throw Reunanen on that list with Barron and Keane as well.

Reactions: egelband and jas

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
If you're first thought is that you want to have a shot at being in the NHL ASAP, Ottawa and Edmonton would be high on the list, especially as a winger. Can't blame kids like this going to those teams.

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And while Gorton has attempted to get in the top ten, by adding multiple 1sts, he’s has structured his approach to not be completely reliant on picking in the top 3-5. It’s going to come down to smart trades - adding pieces like DeAngelo, Hajek, Howden and Lemieux - acquiring multiple picks, including 1st rounders - a potential of 11 over four years, and hitting on players beyond the 1st round -Keane and Barron look the most promising so far, and Buchnevich as a 3rd rounder certainly is a win.
To add on to that, it is gambling on projects (Strome) or being willing to cut bait with them (Spooner). Also trading for players which represent of more of what you need and that does not mean necessarily just to play on the top line (Lemieux).

Reactions: jas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad