Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I still think Chytil can be that, while Andersson slides as a very good number 2 guy. Having many good and young centers is an awesome problem to have though.

Potentially yes.

Personally I’d rather have too many centers than any other position.

You can convert them to wing, trade them at higher values for help in other areas, etc.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Potentially yes.

Personally I’d rather have too many centers than any other position.

You can convert them to wing, trade them at higher values for help in other areas, etc.
Absolutely, there is a reason why Kotka and Hayton both went higher than skill wise would dictate.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Next year is potentially the year we have a good shot at a first line center prospect.
Exactly why I didn't want them to package too many picks together to move up this year/wanted them to load up on defensemen.

If they sell off some other players this year and get a few first rounders I'd do whatever I could to move into the top 5 regardless of if it's an overpayment or not. Regardless, going to be another exciting draft

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The way I see it, 2019 is a great center draft, and a weak defense draft. Goalies are looking reasonably good early on. Almost the exact opposite of 2018, which was great defense, weak center, bad goalie draft.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
who are the top college UDFA?

and someone get my hopes up about RHD targets at the trade deadline when we are sellers again? Last year we stocked up the left side, this year lets load up the right side

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
unless we win the lottery or have a ton of injuries, i expect us to be picking around the same spot next year. around 10. we won't be bad enough to get a top pick without winning the lottery. that would be too easy

I expect we will be picking higher than ten. This looks like a top 5 pick season to me.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I expect we will be picking higher than ten. This looks like a top 5 pick season to me.
It's really hard to say IMO. If Chytil and Andersson both take a big step this season, I think we're going to be good enough to be outside the top 5.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's really hard to say IMO. If Chytil and Andersson both take a big step this season, I think we're going to be good enough to be outside the top 5.

I hope both play in the AHL this season because I don't think they are good enough yet to contribute in the top-6 and their contracts can slide another year. That is something that needs to be taken into consideration as well. Unless they force their way onto the team, leave them in the AHL

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Watch for Trevor Zegras, a local kid, to go straight up the rankings, if he gets the needed exposure. He's currently projected to be the 3rd line center on his own junior team. The two guys ahead of him could go 1, 2 in the draft, so he might not get it. Elite speed and skill from the center position. Mathew Barzal?

Spencer Knight, another local kid and noted Ranger fan, looks like the best goalie prospect in the draft since Samsonov was picked in 2015. He was absolutely dominant playing up a year at the WJC18. He got robbed of goalie of the tournament. They gave it to the kid we just took in the second round. If there's a goalie you want to take high, its this guy. Reminiscent of John Gibson.

In general, this might be the best year ever for American born players. They were putting really big numbers on the other countries in a bunch of international tournaments this year. In the three "tournaments" they played, they compiled a perfect 14-0 record. I remember watching a game against Sweden where they scored 10, and this was without Hughes. They made Sweden look like Norway or Belarus. The whole game was played in Sweden's end of the ice.

Last edited:

WeRa

Nov 2, 2017
I hope both play in the AHL this season because I don't think they are good enough yet to contribute in the top-6 and their contracts can slide another year. That is something that needs to be taken into consideration as well. Unless they force their way onto the team, leave them in the AHL
Exactly.
All indications are that Seattle will get an expansion team for the 2020-21 season.Seattle’s potential expansion draft would be conducted under the exact same rules as Vegas was. All first and second year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits) ..

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

That is awfully optimistic. IMO, the only two teams I see being worse than the Rangers are Detroit and Orrawa. Maybe a case can be made for Vancouver.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
That is awfully optimistic. IMO, the only two teams I see being worse than the Rangers are Detroit and Orrawa. Maybe a case can be made for Vancouver.
Montreal could also be. Next year record will be determined by how many games Henrik will steal.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
OK this is a UFA thread too. Too early for me to think about 2019 draft. That would be wishing the season away. Today, I just hope that Gorton doesnt do something stupid like sign Leo Komorov to a 4 year deal. I really hope he goes out and gets Yalkupov and Duclair to one year prove it deals at or under the threshold. David Quinn is supposed to be this great developer of talent. We all know both players are talented. Lets see if Quinn can turn these lumps of Clay into masterpieces. I also like the Ideal of Toby Reider. Mark Fayne would be an OK get for Hartford. Can always be brought up during an injury plague.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
OK this is a UFA thread too. Too early for me to think about 2019 draft. That would be wishing the season away. Today, I just hope that Gorton doesnt do something stupid like sign Leo Komorov to a 4 year deal. I really hope he goes out and gets Yalkupov and Duclair to one year prove it deals at or under the threshold. David Quinn is supposed to be this great developer of talent. We all know both players are talented. Lets see if Quinn can turn these lumps of Clay into masterpieces. I also like the Ideal of Toby Reider. Mark Fayne would be an OK get for Hartford. Can always be brought up during an injury plague.
Undrafted free agents, i.e., Pionk.

The spec thread is better for free agency talk

Reactions: Joey Bones

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Too early for the 2019 draft? Nah.

The top of this draft is looking just as stacked as 2018. Hughes, Turcotte, Byram, Dach, Newhook, Kaako. Dach is the guy I’m keeping my eye on; right handed playmaking center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad