Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part V (Lottery 04/09 8PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
This is the year the Rangers need to bottom out and have a legit shot at landing a sure-fire talent. Far too many years not having that distinction.

Mid-round picks or #4-12 picks won't cut it. Losing tonight in regulation, may be a big step towards that. For once, I just wanna see them top 2. I know it doesnt guarantee anything, but it sure helps the chances.

The highest pick I've seen was #4 in 99' and they drafted Pavel Brendl. Then #6 in 04' and they took a friggin' goalie. So I agree they need to take the right player... total agreement. But what they've never had was a no-brainer generational talent at #1 or #2 when the decision is basically made for them. If they somehow screw that up...

Maybe i've just been around too long and I'm drunk on the hopes of actually getting a very special player. But this team has paid their dues to the hockey gods and its our time dammit.

Rangers have not selected a top 3 pick since Brad Park in 1966. We're due, we're so due for a ball to fall our way.

Reactions: Riche16

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is the year the Rangers need to bottom out and have a legit shot at landing a sure-fire talent. Far too many years not having that distinction.

Mid-round picks or #4-12 picks won't cut it. Losing tonight in regulation, may be a big step towards that. For once, I just wanna see them top 2. I know it doesnt guarantee anything, but it sure helps the chances.

The highest pick I've seen was #4 in 99' and they drafted Pavel Brendl. Then #6 in 04' and they took a friggin' goalie. So I agree they need to take the right player... total agreement. But what they've never had was a no-brainer generational talent at #1 or #2 when the decision is basically made for them. If they somehow screw that up...

Maybe i've just been around too long and I'm drunk on the hopes of actually getting a very special player. But this team has paid their dues to the hockey gods and its our time dammit.

The Rangers are one of those franchises for whom the stars never quite line up. Even when they're successful, it's like things tend to be just off.

The sad thing is if it ever came together, they have the resources to keep it going for some sustained success --- not unlike what LA, Chicago and others have been able to do. But it's a matter of getting to that point.

Reactions: Bluenote13

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I do agree that it's easier finding dmen in the later rounds who can end up as top pairing dman easier than forwards, but I don't see Byram as just someone who has top-pairing potential. He has stud #1 potential in him. A true top-15 dman in this league.

The only forwards in this draft that have the ceiling that Byram has, are going to go 1 and 2.

If we're picking 3, I'd much rather we draft Byram and use our other 1st's to either trade up for a guy like Caufield or Kaliyev rather than going with, let's say Cozens, then moving up in the mid 1st for a dman like York, Broberg, or Soderstrom.

Byram+Caufield > Cozens+Broberg, imo.

I don't know, I guess my ideal draft outside of the top two would be more Cozens, Turcotte, Zegras, Dach then a defender. Then Podkolzin and only due to his delay to get to North America

after them, if Broberg, Soderstrom, Seider, are there take one of them, if not then go to Newhook, Caufield or Kaliyev.

This is all moot anyway they are drafting Krebs if tankathon is correct more often than not.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
What do people feel about the Rangers taking Spencer Knight late first/early 2nd? Conventional wisdom is never take a goalie that high and especially after using a second on a G last season it would be more questionable, but Knight looks like the real deal.

We're deep in goalie prospects as it is and so the position is not a need but Knight should be late 1st-early 2nd. If we were to take Knight I would hope it was because we've got another 1st or two.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
pass on byram given the number of real high upside offensive players available in this draft.

organizational depth is there on the blue line, with miller, lundkvist, hajek, kean, lindgren and rykov all in the pipeline, theres a reasonable certainty that one or more of them will be top 4 type NHL dmen.

lets not forget the guys on roster now already..
This again? Not one of the players you list, not a single one, projects as a top line defenseman. Let alone an elite level franchise #1. Perhaps a Miller, but that is a long way off. And NO ONE on the roster does either. Yes, not even DeAngelo is a franchise #1.

You feel comfortable passing on Byram because the Rangers have Joey Kean in the wings? Or Rykov is coming over? Come one.

You do not like him. Fine. Or you do, but would rather take a forward. Ok. I disagree but different strokes for different folks. but passing on him because they drafte Lundqvist or traded or Hajek? That's lunacy.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We're deep in goalie prospects as it is and so the position is not a need but Knight should be late 1st-early 2nd. If we were to take Knight I would hope it was because we've got another 1st or two.

Everything is context for me.

I'm really not a fan of taking goalies in the first two rounds, but Knight is a guy for whom I'd consider making an exception.

But that becomes a lot more interesting of an idea if, A. He's still on the board in the late first, and B. the Rangers have 4 first rounder picks.

Having said that, I think he falls into that weird zone where the Rangers aren't as likely to have a pick. And I don't know if he's the guy I'd target if I were to find a way to trade into that zone.

Reactions: jas and eco's bones

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Think that you can rest easy. Unless Clark gets cute, the player they get in that 4 - 7 range will be a good one.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Everything is context for me.

I'm really not a fan of taking goalies in the first two rounds, but Knight is a guy for whom I'd consider making an exception.

But that becomes a lot more interesting of an idea if, A. He's still on the board in the late first, and B. the Rangers have 4 first rounder picks.

Having said that, I think he falls into that weird zone where the Rangers aren't as likely to have a pick. And I don't know if he's the guy I'd target if I were to find a way to trade into that zone.

It's pretty much where I am. I hollered a lot about Lindbom last year---it's not the player per se but reaching for him didn't seem like something we needed to do or should have done. There was at least a decent chance he would have been around when we picked Ragnarsson or Keane and if not there were other goalies that seemed at least as good.

Whoever gets Knights gets the consensus best goalie in the draft and maybe someone who in a couple years will be like Carter Hart was for the Flyers this year. Even so if we had the 4 1st's and we passed on Knight I'd probably be okay with that too. We have needs other that goalie. The future of that position I worry less about than the forwards or the D.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
A lot of people here are very high on Cole Caufield. Guy is 5'7" in skates. 155 lbs. Playing against children this fine. Against men, different story.

I'm actually kinda hoping we move down somehow and take another top 10 pick or early teen pick. My somewhat realistic unprofessional drafting scenario goes something like this. Some crazy good wingers in this mix with pro shots already and great wheels.

1st Round
Early First (hopefully top 3)- One of Hughes, Kakko, Cozens
Mid First/Trade - One of, Krebs, Kaliyev, Dorofeyev
Late First - One of, Lavoie, Foote, Afanaseyev

2nd Round
Our 2nd - One of, Brink, Mastrosimone, Donovan
Dallas 2nd - One of, Poulin, Gutik, Djugardens
TB 2nd - Robertson, Firstov, Caufield

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
What do people feel about the Rangers taking Spencer Knight late first/early 2nd? Conventional wisdom is never take a goalie that high and especially after using a second on a G last season it would be more questionable, but Knight looks like the real deal.

I’d only take him at 31 to use as currency later on down the line. But he’ll go before that.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
A lot of people here are very high on Cole Caufield. Guy is 5'7" in skates. 155 lbs. Playing against children this fine. Against men, different story.

I'm actually kinda hoping we move down somehow and take another top 10 pick or early teen pick. My somewhat realistic unprofessional drafting scenario goes something like this. Some crazy good wingers in this mix with pro shots already and great wheels.

1st Round

2nd Round
If you think Caufield is going to fall that far just because he’s short, you’re out of your mind. He’s literately the best goal scorer in USNTDP history, and his game is much more than just his shot

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Think that you can rest easy. Unless Clark gets cute, the player they get in that 4 - 7 range will be a good one.

we don't need 'good'. we have had plenty of 'good' over the years. 'good' doesnt win cups. we need elite. elite wins cups. top-3 pick teams win cups.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I’d only take him at 31 to use as currency later on down the line. But he’ll go before that.
That's about the time I think that if around, one would really need to look at him. But that is just folly, as there is no way that he will drop that far. Mid first round, right around 15 or so.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am sure you are not the only one, but there is no way a good think like that ever would happen to us.

It's one of those things that I keep in the back of mind, but haven't really focused on.

I'm of the previously stated belief that part of my almost hopes to pick second, if for no other reason than to avoid rounds of debate.

There's no debate between Kakko and Hughes at that point, you're taking whichever one is there.

Likewise, there's no debate about whether the third pick should be Podkolzin, or Byran, or Cozens, or Dach, or whoever.

Second should, ideally, be that sweet spot where 99% percent of this board can celebrate together and not fight, or over-analyze, or complain, or have a panic attack or anything else negative.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This again? Not one of the players you list, not a single one, projects as a top line defenseman. Let alone an elite level franchise #1. Perhaps a Miller, but that is a long way off. And NO ONE on the roster does either. Yes, not even DeAngelo is a franchise #1.

You feel comfortable passing on Byram because the Rangers have Joey Kean in the wings? Or Rykov is coming over? Come one.

You do not like him. Fine. Or you do, but would rather take a forward. Ok. I disagree but different strokes for different folks. but passing on him because they drafte Lundqvist or traded or Hajek? That's lunacy.

What are the odds of Byram becoming that D though?

And you can litterary apply that to every position on the team, except LW with Kravtsov. We — probably — don’t have any top centers, RWs or goalies in the system either.

We do however — de facto — have a helluva lot of more prospects at LD than any other position, and it’s not even close. Like every third prospect we have is an LD. Skjei is locked up for 5 years. Two positions to fill.

Who is the best scoring RW we have in the system? Ville Meskanen? Ty Ronning(?)?

It’s certainly more fair to say that if you like Byram so much that it’s reasonable to make an insane decision from a strategical POV, fine, pick him. Otherwise don’t take an LD with the only high pick we ever have had. That on top of everything is undersized. He might be tough in the kids POs, how tough will he be against Wilson, AO and co at 6'0 180 lbs?

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
If you think Caufield is going to fall that far just because he’s short, you’re out of your mind. He’s literately the best goal scorer in USNTDP history, and his game is much more than just his shot

I think Hughes is really good, that team in general is really good. Zegras and Boldy etc.

I just see a trend of Laine-Poolparty or Wahlstrom-Hughes. Great players get the best out of there team. Especially at a young age.

My preference is more get the guy doing the leading, not the guys who were a long for the ride.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's one of those things that I keep in the back of mind, but haven't really focused on.

I'm of the previously stated belief that part of my almost hopes to pick second, if for no other reason than to avoid rounds of debate.

There's no debate between Kakko and Hughes at that point, you're taking whichever one is there.

Likewise, there's no debate about whether the third pick should be Podkolzin, or Byran, or Cozens, or Dach, or whoever.

Second should, ideally, be that sweet spot where 99% percent of this board can celebrate together and not fight, or over-analyze, or complain, or have a panic attack or anything else negative.

Don't be so sure about that, Hughes is a mile ahead of Kakko from my POV. I think Podkolzin and Turcotte are closer to Kakko than people think. ;)

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
And you can litterary apply that to every position on the team, except LW with Kravtsov. We — probably — don’t have any top centers, RWs or goalies in the system either.
If we don't have any top players in any position (which like you said we don't accept Krav) then if you have a guy with legit #1d potential you take him

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

1st Round

2nd Round

Caufield has a much higher chance of sneaking into the top-10 than he does falling out of the first round.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
we don't need 'good'. we have had plenty of 'good' over the years. 'good' doesnt win cups. we need elite. elite wins cups. top-3 pick teams win cups.
Then prepare yourself to wait for a very, very, very long time. If all your doing is hanging your hat on a top 3 pick as the sole way to win a cup, you are going to be waiting for frankly maybe forever.

First of all, you can win the Cup without a top 3 pick. Second of all, the players that will be available in the range that I stated will be (in no order) Byram, Podkolzin, Dach, Zegras, Cozens, Turcotte. Can I call them "elite" already? No chance. Just like I cannot call Hughes or Kakko elite already (PS: Brian Lawton, Alexander Daigle, Alexsey Yashin, Nial Yakapov, Dany Heatly have all called to say hi).

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Bolde Wilde is a talented player who still gives me all of the same concerns I had last this time last year.

In fact, the Islanders 2018 first and second draft picks, though incredibly skilled and talented, gives me more than a few concerns.

Wahlstrom is now looking for his third playing option in two years, and struggled this season.

Noah Dobson showed me once again than he projects as a second pair defenseman and not a guy who drives a team.

Bode Wilde looks like a forward playing defenseman and plays a game very well suited for junior hockey.
That’s pretty much the Isles drafting style. They don’t care about character or effort they go high skilled/consensus every time (Barzal, JHS, MDC, Iskhakov, Wahlstrom, Wilde) only pick that stands out is Reinhart

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad