Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part V (Lottery 04/09 8PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Something to what Edge said the other day. The only place that seems to have Podklozin falling is HF.

And wow. Nikolaev not only in the first round, but at #12. I like him as a second rounder, but top 15?

If the draft broke anything like this, I would be ecstatic. Byran/Cozens/Boldy, Newhook, Ryan Johnson/Tomasino/Vlasic/Foote? Sign me up.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
Something to what Edge said the other day. The only place that seems to have Podklozin falling is HF.

And wow. Nikolaev not only in the first round, but at #12. I like him as a second rounder, but top 15?

Yea he is ranked 3rd at almost all the prospect sites

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Buttons draft rankings is the worst ranking i've ever seen…

Samuel Fagemo isn't even ranked top 93, he's having a D+1 (overager) season now that's worthy of a top 10 pick. He has 6 goalies ahead of Ilya Konovalov (atleast, not ranked). Dorofeyev not ranked, Honka not ranked… list goes on...

This is absolutely atrocious and needs to be completely disregarded.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Another year with good American prospects, which is funny since there''s not a single American in the top 20 of next year's class.

Just looking at the numbers, Turcotte's production but's Zegras's to shame, and he has a more adult build. What's the skinny on those two guys?

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Fagemo not being ranked is worse, but yes…

PBs rankings is better then this garbage Button put out just now.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Another year with good American prospects, which is funny since there''s not a single American in the top 20 of next year's class.

Just looking at the numbers, Turcotte's production but's Zegras's to shame, and he has a more adult build. What's the skinny on those two guys?

Yeah, gotta say Dorofeyev not being ranked makes the whole thing skeptical. And I can say this without AK's brainwashing.

Any ranking that doesn't include players because the person "hasn't seen enough of him" is just not something I can take serious. This has always been the problem. If a player is not playing in the World Juniors, or has a, dare I say, disappointing week in the WJC, that player is nowhere near the first round.

Gutik is ranked, but Dorofeyev isn't? Yeah, I'll pass

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I think that lists like Button's (who actually drafted pretty well as an NHL GM) and Pronman's that diverge significantly from the consensus are fairly representative of what NHL boards actually look like. Projecting what kind of hockey player an 18 year old kid will turn into 5+ years down the road is tough and I think it's reasonable for people who have done their research to have a wide range of opinions.

I've posted this before, but I think our board is unreasonably high on Dorofeyev due to @Amazing Kreiderman 's cheerleading (although I think he's rightfully well-respected in general). Shvyryov, Manukyan, and Shafigullin all put up better pre-draft MHL production than Dorofeyev and were mid-round picks. On top of that, Dorofeyev is almost a full year older than Shvyryov and Manukyan were. Based on that, it doesn't seem that unreasonable to me for someone to have a 4th round grade on him. There are a lot of prospects who I would find more interesting at the end of the 1st or the 2nd. Fagemo on the other hand, I wouldn't be upset with taking late in the first.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He doesn't have Dorofeyev ranked because he hasn't seen enough of him…. It's his job for Crying out loud and the MHL streams their games free on Youtube... Button is honestly just bad at his job and doesn't give a damn.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
Any ranking that doesn't include players because the person "hasn't seen enough of him" is just not something I can take serious. This has always been the problem. If a player is not playing in the World Juniors, or has a, dare I say, disappointing week in the WJC, that player is nowhere near the first round.

Gutik is ranked, but Dorofeyev isn't? Yeah, I'll pass

Weren't you the one who posted about how you upgraded your opinion of Button based on what Gordie Clarke told you?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Zegras has a legit shot to go higher than some realize. Though it all depends on who is picking where.

I can’t see Dach falling to 15. Not unless he has a Ryan Getzlaf like draft day fall. In that case, whoever gets him is going to be doing cartwheels.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He doesn't have Dorofeyev ranked because he hasn't seen enough of him…. It's his job for Crying out loud and the MHL streams their games free on Youtube... Button is honestly just bad at his job and doesn't give a damn.

The funny thing though is every year he takes a beating on here, and most years he’s a lot closer to the final draft result than people realize.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
The funny thing though is every year he takes a beating on here, and most years he’s a lot closer to the final draft result than people realize.

I don't care if he's close to the final draft results or not, this ranking is moronic…

And if my job is to scout and make draft rankings for TSN then i'd Watch a few FREE AND AVAILABLE MHL games on Youtube over the course of the season to keep track of a guy that's a mainstay in the top 62.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I've posted this before, but I think our board is unreasonably high on Dorofeyev due to @Amazing Kreiderman 's cheerleading (although I think he's rightfully well-respected in general). Shvyryov, Manukyan, and Shafigullin all put up better pre-draft MHL production than Dorofeyev and were mid-round picks. On top of that, Dorofeyev is almost a full year older than Shvyryov and Manukyan were. Based on that, it doesn't seem that unreasonable to me for someone to have a 4th round grade on him. There are a lot of prospects who I would find more interesting at the end of the 1st or the 2nd. Fagemo on the other hand, I wouldn't be upset with taking late in the first.

Every year, I have that one player that just catches my attention. Last year it was Kravtsov, this year it's Dorofeyev. By no means is that player the best but I do like them and share my expectations of where I see them being picked. With Kravtsov, I expected him to go 7-15, with Dorofeyev I have said 15-25. Different projections.

Weren't you the one who posted about how you upgraded your opinion of Button based on what Gordie Clarke told you?

Not sure what you are referring to. The only thing related to both Button and Clark I mentioned is how I think it's interesting to see players drop significantly (Wahlstrom, Wilde) despite being ranked high by guys like Pronman, McKenzie and Button, while others (Kravtsov comes to mind) went significantly higher compared to the rankings by these 3.

How does he have Gutik ranked but not Dorofeyev? That makes no sense to me. At all. How has he watched enough of Gutik, but not Dorofeyev?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Why? He's making a ranking, not a mock draft.

I get that.

But whatever he calls it aside, it’s usually not as dramatically far off from how teams view things and subsequently draft.

For example, McKenzie/TSN had Dorofoeyev at 65. So Button omitting him really isn’t that unheard of either — at least from TSN’s history.

That’s the weird thing with TSN. Every year we get shocked by certain rankings, and it’s usually at least fairly representative of most teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad