Speculation: Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part IX (No Kakko/Hughes Talk)

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Boldy could quickly become one of the better value picks in this draft if he's pushed down as well.
Emerging with Kakko & Boldy would be amazing. I would very much be disappointed if he was passed for some of the names you just mentioned. And that included Krebs.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Emerging with Kakko & Boldy would be amazing. I would very much be disappointed if he was passed for some of the names you just mentioned. And that included Krebs.

After this weekend, I am really curious as to where the Rangers have Krebs. Pushing my own preferences aside for a minute, I got the impression that the Rangers really like him.

Also knowing full well that the Rangers loved the US forwards last year, but Kravstov was ranked higher.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think that's quite possible.

IMO, Broberg could go a lot higher than some might think. And guys like Soderstrom, York, and Seider are wildcards to push to for higher spots.

Boldy could quickly become one of the better value picks in this draft if he's pushed down as well.

Would be surprised if the teams picking around say 7-13 didn't end up getting really good value in this draft. There will be very solid kids available in that range.

Reactions: Bluenote13

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if any of you watched krebs in the u18s you saw a kid who flashed all the tools.

high end wheels, smart, defensively aware, wore the C and makes plays with ease at top speed.

he has all the tools to be a solid pro 2C within 2 yrs. hes a high character kid who makes plays. his combine results wear solid too. kid killed the pull-ups.

he needs to get stronger and add muscle and he DOES NOT SHOOT enough, but beyond that, there arent a lot of holes in his game.

i would say his lack of goal scoring is the one glaring concern- if you can call it that. hes more playmaker than shooter but he has a solid accurate shot. just needs to use it more

the kids ranked above him score more. thats the big difference.

hell go in the 8-12 range and could well be a "move up" target if a few reaches occur or the d run happens.

kakko/krebs would make for a solid 1/2 1st round.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Krebs reminds me a bit of Farabee. Checks all the boxes the Rangers love, but there are questions about his offensive upside. Goes on to have a great D+1 and silences a lot of critics.

If you think he has enough offensive upside then he's right up there with Zegras, Turcotte, etc.

Reactions: offdacrossbar

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Krebs reminds me a bit of Farabee. Checks all the boxes the Rangers love, but there are questions about his offensive upside. Goes on to have a great D+1 and silences a lot of critics.

If you think he has enough offensive upside then he's right up there with Zegras, Turcotte, etc.

there were no questions about farabees offense @Trxjw that i can remember

joel was about as well rounded as any of last years forwards. kid did everything well. he was my favorite player in last years draft.

offensively, farabee was dangerous and swift. great shot and an all around excellent kid. coachable and natural leader. size was his only issue really.

good comparison though. krebs and farabee are similar in many ways with the edge to farabee as a finisher and krebs as a setup guy. i totally agree.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
i was happy to trade up for miller last year. This year (right now at least) i dont feel the need to jump up 4-5-6 spots. There are a bunch of guys I feel will be options at 20 and i'd be content with any of them.

I still get the sense that if the Rangers could do it their way, they'd have an extra pick sandwiched between 2 and 20 that would preempt the need to make that kind of jump. It goes without saying, the ability to do that would make a tremendous difference.

If they can get their guy higher, and maybe flip a second if they feel they need to go from 20 to 17, that might be a path forward as well.

In keeping with the two pick scenario, I could see them hoping for a similar (albeit reversed) version of what St. Louis did in 2010 with Tarasenko and Schwartz. Come away with a Zucker or Toffoli type pick in the second instead of Wannstrom, and you're looking back with very fond memories of that day.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

joel was about as well rounded as any of last years forwards. kid did everything well. he was my favorite player in last years draft.

offensively, farabee was dangerous and swift. great shot and an all around excellent kid. coachable and natural leader. size was his only issue really.

good comparison though. krebs and farabee are similar in many ways with the edge to farabee as a finisher and krebs as a setup guy. i totally agree.

Personally, I had zero concerns about Farabee in that draft. He was my favorite prospect.

But I will admit that not everyone shared that opinion and offense was probably the most common concern that people cited. Not that it was limited, so much as that it wasn't as high as some of the options that I had grouped with Farabee. Obviously, I didn't necessarily agree with that, but it was there.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

You and I, as well as @Edge, were all big fans of Farabee last year. I'm just referring to a lot of the criticism he faced about being a passenger to Hughes and Wahlstrom. Krebs is slightly different in the sense of where the criticism lies, but I see them as pretty similar players overall. Shooting/playmaking notwithstanding as you noted.

Reactions: offdacrossbar

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Personally, I had zero concerns about Farabee in that draft. He was my favorite prospect.

But I will admit that not everyone shared that opinion and offense was probably the most common concern that people cited. Not that it was limited, so much as that it wasn't as high as some of the options that I had grouped with Farabee. Obviously, I didn't necessarily agree with that, but it was there.

then we were on the same page. also my guy last year and i remember you and i agreeing on that.

offensively, he has a sublime scoring ability. the skating and the hands are both high end.

he would have looked great in red white and blue.

anywhere but philly though. :thumbd:

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
Ive been on the Seider train for a while but it seems he's getting into the 10-15 area and the second D man off the board. In this scenario, I am definitely not trading up for him and would rather take 2 Forwards ( move up for a forward) and then package the a second and a player or combination of picks for Korczak who I feel is a late first to early second, and isnt far behind Seider imo of value. Seider has the higher ceiling but he doesn't scream that that he will reach it. I think both players will carve out good solid careers and be second pairing guys

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
then we were on the same page. also my guy last year and i remember you and i agreeing on that.

offensively, he has a sublime scoring ability. the skating and the hands are both high end.

he would have looked great in red white and blue.

anywhere but philly though. :thumbd:

The Philly aspect broke my heart and was compounded by mocks a few weeks ago that had Zegras going there as well.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Ive been on the Seider train for a while but it seems he's getting into the 10-15 area and the second D man off the board. In this scenario, I am definitely not trading up for him and would rather take 2 Forwards ( move up for a forward) and then package the a second and a player or combination of picks for Korczak who I feel is a late first to early second, and isnt far behind Seider imo of value. Seider has the higher ceiling but he doesn't scream that that he will reach it. I think both players will carve out good solid careers and be second pairing guys

What about Kreider to say FL for their 1st and draft Seider ? Ideally its a 1st plus

Reactions: brians1128

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
What about Kreider to say FL for their 1st and draft Seider ? Ideally its a 1st plus

I will gamble then on Seider being there at 20 then. Given the mock draft you just posted, I would take take Newhook. According to @Edge Rangers management still wants d depth and there isnt much talk of Newhook, So getting Broberg and Seider would imo complete the backend in terms of prospects and I would shop Skeji for forward help

Reactions: Leetch3

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I will gamble then on Seider being there at 20 then. Given the mock draft you just posted, I would take take Newhook. According to @Edge Rangers management still wants d depth and there isnt much talk of Newhook, So getting Broberg and Seider would imo complete the backend in terms of prospects and I would shop Skeji for forward help

Just to clarify, I haven't heard Newhook mentioned by name as a like, but I suspect the Rangers might. I just haven't heard anyone specifically point to him. Same with Zegras.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i would say that post draft if we were to add these names to the prospect pool, i would be one happy camper and what a draft it would be.

my TOP 5 realistic targets

kappo kakko- game changer. period.

alex newhook- future dynamic 2C who has all the tools. the guy you "move up" for.

lassi thomson-offensively gifted right shot puck mover dman with a cannon shot.

tobias bjornfot-do everything strong skating left shot dman. solid and stocky with some 2 way snarl.

pavel dorofeyev-creative and offensively underrated. hell take some time but hes got mad skills.

Reactions: BKGooner

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
i would say that post draft if we were to add these names to the prospect pool, i would be one happy camper and what a draft it would be.

my TOP 5 realistic targets

kappo kakko- game changer. period.

alex newhook- future dynamic 2C who has all the tools. the guy you "move up" for.

lassi thomson-offensively gifted right shot puck mover dman with a cannon shot.

tobias bjornfot-do everything strong skating left shot dman. solid and stocky with some 2 way snarl.

pavel dorofeyev-creative and offensively underrated. hell take some time but hes got mad skills.

Can I ask why Lassi Thomson is a target when almost every RHD we have in the system is a similar player? (Fox, DeAngelo, Lundkvist, Pionk)

I do think Thomson might be up have the best shot of the bunch, but the rest of his game is of the same mold. Shouldn't we be looking for a two-way stud on the right side?

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Can I ask why Lassi Thomson is a target when almost every RHD we have in the system is a similar player? (Fox, DeAngelo, Lundkvist, Pionk)

I do think Thomson might be up have the best shot of the bunch, but the rest of his game is of the same mold. Shouldn't we be looking for a two-way stud on the right side?

yes. good point.

pionk, imo, isn't long for this team.

fox and ADA both play next season. Lundqvist projects 2 yrs down the road. righty Dmen have value. loading up on play making RD is money in the bank.

bjronfot fits your description but hes a lefty. those 2 would be my 2nd round d choices

thomson package is too good to pass up as a value play in rd 2. he is similar to those you mention, but is 2 years away and alot can happen in 2 yrs. also, he fits the new age NHL dman profile. offensively involved, playmaking puck mover who can join the rush but still plan an aggressive gambling style of defense. his defensive awareness and engagement is very good. hes no slouch. and that shot is a weapon. something that both ADA and fox lack btw.

bjornfot is more of a 2 way guy who plays a more in your face physical defense but who can also skate and join. hes a lefty shot too. his overall 2 way game is more polished and in fact, hes one of the better values on defense in this entire draft.

both of these guys fit the bill for todays mobile involved Dman.

i think well snag a euro defender in round 2. one of those 2 guys would be my choice.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
As a later second round pick, yeah Thomson is on the radar.

I think it's always important to remember that when you start getting into the second and third rounds, that you're going to have kids that have question marks that are more promiment. That's why they're second round picks.

In Thomson's case, I see a lot of the attributes the Rangers might want --- mobility, the ability to move the puck, get the puck to the driver, etc. When we look at different defenseman the Rangers could potentially take in the second, I think we're going to have to look beyond the numbers. They're not necessarily going in there looking for power play quarterbacks, or strict shutdown types. They're going for guys who can beat forwards to the puck, make a good decision, and then support the play.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
As a later second round pick, yeah Thomson is on the radar.

I think it's always important to remember that when you start getting into the second and third rounds, that you're going to have kids that have question marks that are more promiment. That's why they're second round picks.

In Thomson's case, I see a lot of the attributes the Rangers might want --- mobility, the ability to move the puck, get the puck to the driver, etc. When we look at different defenseman the Rangers could potentially take in the second, I think we're going to have to look beyond the numbers. They're not necessarily going in there looking for power play quarterbacks, or strict shutdown types. They're going for guys who can beat forwards to the puck, make a good decision, and then support the play.

well said.

i think the difference in the boston- st lou finals is the boston defense, specifically 2 guys.

krug and mcavoy both bring a dimension that allows for offense from the backend. playmaking, puck possession, pp creativity and the ability to control the play out of the d zone and enter the o zone and support the forwards up ice. all that, plus the ability to play reliable defense.

this type of dman is what both thomson and bjornfot could develop into

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
he has all the tools to be a solid pro 2C within 2 yrs. hes a high character kid who makes plays. his combine results wear solid too. kid killed the pull-ups.
That's rather the problem. I agree. He looks to be a solid 2nd line center. But if given a chance to grab a Zegras or Dach, can you really justify him? Or even a Boldy, who is not a center but has top line potential?

And after watching the Rangers for who knows how long, I had enough with players that shy away from shooting in favor of making an extra pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad