Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Right now we are more or less okay.

I think we're drifting out of the Boqvist/Hughes or Wahlstrom/Bouchard range. But Dobson and Farabee could certainly be in play.

Remember, my "rankings" could be considerably off from how other teams view players. I put it together based on how I rank the prospects, not necessarily the order the I think they will be selected.
The Boqvist / Wahlstrom / Bouchard range to Dobson / Farabee is a huge drop off from everything I have read.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
17 not too early?

In my opinion, no. So long as someone understands that his floor isn't necessarily as high as the other guys who would likely still be on the table.

The Boqvist / Wahlstrom / Bouchard range to Dobson / Farabee is a huge drop off from everything I have read.

Depends on who you ask. Some people have Dobson ahead of Bouchard. Boqvist is anywhere from fourth to I think 9th on some lists.

Farabee is certainly a guy I have higher than most. I freely admit that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Can't say I significantly disagree with Larry - https://nypost.com/2018/03/15/rangers-playing-it-straight-and-its-killing-their-draft-prospects/

It's why I just politely shake my head when people shrug off the concept of drafting high, or act so offended that it's hard to root for success in games that don't really matter or would prefer a tactical retreat in battle to win a war.

I agree... the system sucked then and still sucks now. I should not have to feel ambivalent when I am cheering for my team to win games

Choosing first or second doesn't necessarily guarantee success, but if recent history has dictated anything it's that to be successful (as in winning a cup) you pretty much need a team structured around the type of elite talent that can only be drafted with lottery picks

Reactions: Edge

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Reactions: Edge

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Right or wrong, I could see Boqvist falling ala Fowler, and end up going after Bouchard and Dobson.

I don’t know if he’d fall quite that far, but stranger things have happened.

I think Boqvist and Hughes very well could fall though.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I don’t know if he’d fall quite that far, but stranger things have happened.

I think Boqvist and Hughes very well could fall though.
All depends on who is picking in the top 10.

I could see Montreal passing on a guy like Hughes or Boqvist in favor of the bigger D, or even passing over Zadina for Tkachuk.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Craig Custance spoke to a few NHL scouts about the upcoming draft in regards to the Red Wings which should be in the same ballpark as the Rangers if they can stop winning the meaningless games.

“When you get to that second crop of kids, it depends on what you’re looking for,” said an Eastern Conference amateur scout on Wednesday. “If you need a scorer, a power forward or a defenseman, there seems to be a solution for all those players right through the top 10. At that point, you want to take the best player but that next wave of guys are so close.”

RW Filip Zadina, Halifax – Let’s be clear. The Red Wings are going to focus on centers and defensemen in their rebuild, as they should. The only way to get great ones is to draft them, and if we had to bet, we’re betting on the Red Wings taking a defenseman with their opening pick in the 2018 draft. OK, those disclaimers out of the way, Zadina is a special player that the Red Wings would have to throw that strategy out the window in order to grab. There are other impressive wingers at the top of the draft, but Zadina is the explosive goal-scorer the Red Wings organization doesn’t have. The Red Wings lost countless close games this year because they didn’t have a game-breaker on the roster when the opposition did. Zadina is that equalizer. He has 42 goals in 55 games for Halifax. One Western Conference director of amateur scouting explained what he liked best about Zadina: “Simply, it’s his skill, but more importantly, his attack mentality in using his skill to produce.” He has every tool — great hands, great shot, great skater. “Other than the fact that he has a RW next to his name, he’s everything you want,” said The Athletic’s Corey Pronman, who had him No. 2 on his midseason rankings. And that’s the problem here. If the Red Wings are picking five, they probably won’t have a crack at him unless teams fall in love with other players or are reluctant to draft a winger. “I don’t think anybody has him out of the top three,” said an amateur scout. “But what do you think is more important if you’re rebuilding, a scoring winger or a No. 1 defenseman?”
IN THE WHEELHOUSE

D Adam Boqvist, Brynas – One of the things the Red Wings are going to have to reconcile, if they haven’t already, is the fact that they’re probably going to have to look hard at an undersized defenseman in this range. They already have smallish defensemen in the system but that shouldn’t preclude them from adding another at the top of the draft since these are potential top pair guys that don’t currently exist in the Detroit organization. Boqvist was No. 5 on Pronman’s midseason ranking, and Pronman likes his playmaking ability. He’s another strong skater with great vision who has drawn (probably completely unfair) comparisons to Erik Karlsson. “He’s an offensively gifted guy,” said one scout. “Not as well-polished as (Rasmus) Dahlin. It’s going to take more time and grooming, but he can be just as talented in three or four years.”

D Evan Bouchard, London – He was No. 26 on Pronman’s midseason list, but believe me when I tell you that people on the trail really like Bouchard. He’s having a big season for London, with 84 points in 64 games and at 6-foot-2 has more size than some of the other defensemen at the top of the draft. “He’s a dynamic defenseman,” said one Eastern Conference scout. “I’d be shocked if he gets out of the top five. Maybe other teams don’t see it that way. He’s going to end up having 90 points.” Said another talent evaluator: “I love this kid. The kid is a horse. He knows how to pace himself.”

D Quinn Hughes, Michigan – This is a player the Red Wings will know well, with him playing in their backyard. And with that comes some extra scrutiny, which may lead to internal debate as to whether his lack of a big shot from the point makes him worthy of a pick at the top of the draft. That said, his skating is off the charts and that’s exactly what the Red Wings' defense needs right now. “He has the ability to outskate the forecheck,” said one evaluator. “When you’re going to be undersized, you have to be an elite skater. He’s elite on the edges and can dart in and out of the forecheck.”

Custance brought up the Wings possibly reaching for a center in the top 10

C Joe Veleno, Drummondville – His stock has been rising a little bit lately for a player who has a reputation as a hard worker with good skills and high-end skating ability. “I think getting that exceptional status hurt him because then people expected more from him. When you look at (Aaron) Ekblad, (Steven) Stamkos, (John) Tavares — those were exceptional status players. They are all really, really highly skilled. He has good skills but not at that elite level like they had,” said a scout. “He’s a solid all-around guy. Skates, works, is unselfish. He has skill but probably isn’t high end.”

C Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Assat-Liiga – He’s been on the wing this season but it wouldn’t be a stretch to draft him as a center. “He’s a very smart center. Can run a power play,” said Pronman, who had him at No. 12 on his midseason rankings. “He’s been rising lately.” Added an NHL assistant GM with a good eye for talent: “He’s a very good prospect. One of the guys in this year’s draft who has improved a lot over the course of the year. He skates well. He’s smart, unselfish with good hands. He’s performed well at all the different events he’s been in. He’s solid.”

Custance: Sketching out a Red Wings draft plan for who to...

The Rangers have also focused on centers and D in their rebuild. This draft has many quality D similar to 2008 so the Rangers invest one of the 1st rounders in a D. Gorton selected Andersson and Chytil for down the middle. The Rangers acquired young D at the deadline. Whether or not they amount to much is open to debate.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
So let's play out the scenario. NYR keep streaking, pass Carolina and Florida and have the 12th pick. If that's too unrealistic pretend they pass the Canes and Florida wins the lotto.

Below players are gone. Who is the guy?

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk
Dobson
Farabee
Smith

I would want Kotkaniemi but curious to hear others thoughts / what the NYR might do. Veleno?

Bode Wilde

Yep, I’d say Wilde, Veleno, or Kotkaniemi are still fine picks there. You’re just risking a lower floor for a higher ceiling.

Wilde.

At that point go big or go home.

Pretty much my thoughts.

If you're outside the guys who have the higher ceiling/higher floor combo, you go for the ceiling at that point. I'd take that over the higher floor guys like Hayton, Veleno or Lundestrom.

Wilde AINEC

Absolutely 100% agree.

Personally, I'd take Wilde over Dobson for the higher ceiling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Unfortunately, I don't view 8-10 as a given.

This team is too unpredictable. Frankly, it's still much closer to the "dreaded middle" than anything else.
Personally, I still think the Rangers are going to finish back around 6 or 7 (my original prediction of 5-7 might be a tad high now). I think they benefited from a post-TDL adrenaline boost and playing against weak teams on the west coast, and I think their last couple of wins the teams they've faced saw what they thought was a "tank" squad and didn't bring their A game. The schedule going forward is brutal, PO positioning is on the line, and I don't think the Rangers will take teams by surprise any longer. (And as a result, they also won't be facing backup goaltenders.)

And even if I'm wrong about that, there's still the hope of the lottery.

All that being said, there is an upside to the recent success – it's shown us that some of our kids are very good and it's raised the trade value of some of our vets, both of which are still beneficial to a rebuild.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
So let's play out the scenario. NYR keep streaking, pass Carolina and Florida and have the 12th pick. If that's too unrealistic pretend they pass the Canes and Florida wins the lotto.

Below players are gone. Who is the guy?

Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Wahlstrom
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk
Dobson
Farabee
Smith

I would want Kotkaniemi but curious to hear others thoughts / what the NYR might do. Veleno?

Kotkaniemi, Veleno, Wilde, Thomas, Bokk, McIsaac, Denisenko, Lundestrom

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Meh, Veleno just doesn't really do it for me.

I have little doubt he'll play in the NHL, but I just do not see the high-end offense.

If he were European, I can't help but feel that people would be using the word "safe" like a comma when talking about him.

To me, Veleno is outside that top 12 or so, and is at the front of the second half.

Veleno was granted exceptional status several years ago, and I think people still keep holding out for that special player they thought they were getting. The reality is that without that designation, very few people would be talking about Veleno at the top of the draft. He'd be in the same conversations as Hayton and Lundestrom. Both good prospects, but not in those higher tiers.

Thing was he needed a change of scenery in Saint John. Since he moved to Drummondville, he's been the better point producer of late. I could definitely still see hope for him becoming something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad