HF Habs: Draft 2018: What are your immediate draft class feelings?

What grade would you give the Habs 2018 draft selections

• A+

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • A

Votes: 59 28.4%
  • A-

Votes: 49 23.6%
  • B+

Votes: 33 15.9%
  • B

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • B-

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • C+

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • C

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • D

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm surprised about Wahlstrom. He did drop in my rankings because I was concerned with parts of his play, but I didn't expect this. My boy Quinn Hughes is looking damn good though.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I liked Hughes a lot last year, interested to see how he does in the NHL.

Not worried yet about our draft but in watching them after the draft I didn't buy into the hype that Pronman and others were saying we had one of the best drafts and one of the best farm systems. That said we'll see how things look at the end of the year.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Lol i was checking the NCAA page to check for draft eligible players and just saw Evan Barratt's numbers this year.. what a missed opportunity.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't think I'll ever get over missing out on AlexAlex. I'm also still upset that Ty Smith didn't fall a bit more so we could trade up. Smith and AlexAlex wouldn't make me worried about our LHD.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Fonstad is the one I'm still somewhat worried about tbh. Hillis has been trending in the right direction for a whole month now and should be back to a PPG production soon . Fonstad on the other hand has been in a slump since the start of October .

I'm really surprised by that, being on such a good team. He looked the part when I saw this year and he was really impressive in the WHL playoffs last year. But clearly things aren't going as planned, just 2 pts in the last 8 games, and he's had points in just 4 of the last 16 games, ouch that's terrible. Hopefully he gets going at some point, I guess I wasn't a big fan of our draft after watching some games of these kids, but clearly they went with some smallish skilled kids in Hillis, McShane, Fonstad, Harris, Houde to a lesser extent as he must be skilled to be picked in the 1st round of the Q draft but I wasn't overly impressed with anything I saw from him.

It's still very early but I strongly disagreed when Pronman was ranking us so high and I still feel that way, just don't think we have a very strong farm system outside the top 5 or so. We'll see in the coming years what the kids from this past summers draft do of course, hopefully we hit it out of the park but so far I'm not convinced at all.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm glad me having Smith at #4 still holds up to this day. Still stumped on how he fell so far.

I used to be really into the draft and following/watching each class but it got to be too time consuming. That said there was always some odd things that would happen, even now look at guys that I know both of us and others liked but didn't even get picked in Bajkov and Topping. Bajkov goes on and puts up 178 pts in the next 2 seasons and Topping is leading his team in scoring this year. Clearly there was something about each that scouts didn't care for.

I think the most pissed I ever got was when not just the Habs but everyone was passing on Anders Lee in '09 and that was after he didn't get picked at all in '08 but that was due to him being highly rated QB and teams were scared off that he would go the NCAA football route instead but then he transferred to a power hose program in the Minnesota USHS in Edina. I watched him at 15 when he was at STA and was telling people to keep an eye on him.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm really surprised by that, being on such a good team. He looked the part when I saw this year and he was really impressive in the WHL playoffs last year. But clearly things aren't going as planned, just 2 pts in the last 8 games, and he's had points in just 4 of the last 16 games, ouch that's terrible. Hopefully he gets going at some point, I guess I wasn't a big fan of our draft after watching some games of these kids, but clearly they went with some smallish skilled kids in Hillis, McShane, Fonstad, Harris, Houde to a lesser extent as he must be skilled to be picked in the 1st round of the Q draft but I wasn't overly impressed with anything I saw from him.

It's still very early but I strongly disagreed when Pronman was ranking us so high and I still feel that way, just don't think we have a very strong farm system outside the top 5 or so. We'll see in the coming years what the kids from this past summers draft do of course, hopefully we hit it out of the park but so far I'm not convinced at all.
We'll see, this is a discussion for a different thread obviously but I'm still optimistic about most of the 2018 crop.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
As he should be. It's his what - 4th, 5th season in the Q?

So what? I'm sure you'd have been the first one to take a shot at him if his production didn't take a jump in his D+1 season.

As it turns out, he's already at 17 goals in 23 games and producing at the same rate as Suzuki.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Seems like everyone from last draft is looking good but Wahlstrom lol
Well Dobson is -24 lol Bathurst is totally crap this year but still, only 14 pts in 23 games played and -f***ing 24 :amazed: At least he looked good at the super serie but could have a limited role at the WJC for this year...

Edit: Just to point out how bad Bathurst is, with his 14 pts, Dobson leads his team in scoring by 2 pts...

Last edited:
Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Well Dobson is -24 lol Bathurst is totally crap this year but still, only 14 pts in 23 games played and -****ing 24 :amazed: At least he looked good at the super serie but could have a limited role at the WJC for this year...

Edit: Just to point out how bad Bathurst is, with his 14 pts, Dobson leads his team in scoring by 2 pts...
I wouldn't blame Dobson for that

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
So what? I'm sure you'd have been the first one to take a shot at him if his production didn't take a jump in his D+1 season.

As it turns out, he's already at 17 goals in 23 games and producing at the same rate as Suzuki.

So what? Does that mean Alexander Alain is now a first round level talent because he ripped up the Q in his final year?

The more you play at a level, the better you become and obviously if his production did not increase this year, he would deserve it.. as the situation is the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad