Confirmed with Link: Dr StrangeDubas or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Promote Myself to GM

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I didn't know Trevor Daley was with the team. That's cool.

Yeah he was hired as a scout a few years back I believe. It seems like he's going on the Spezza track.

The nice thing is that Dubas is actually bringing in new voices and not just going over the same retreads. Spezza, Daley, Kessel and Mpofu (cap guru) are all new, up and coming faces.

Rutherford hired Daley as a Hockey Operations Advisor in 2020, which is a fancy way of saying part-scout part-coach.

Here was his job description back then:

"assisting in player evaluations at the NHL and AHL level, as well as acting as an 'eye in the sky' for the coaching staff during games."

Although apparently it changed to:

"assisted in player evaluations at the NHL and AHL level, and participated in on-ice player development"

And is now:

"an increased focus on player personnel in addition to continued focus on player development and minor league operations"

So... less time watching the team, and more time focusing on player personnel which feels like it could be anything.

Not sure I like Dubas keeping Pryor but everything else, including naming himself GM, is fine with me. Nice to see Daley around too.

Much as I enjoy rinsing the fact that Hextall was nepotism central, there's not a whole lot of reason to think Pryor doesn't have the ability to do the job other than the fact he looks like a used car salesman who's taken over running a funeral home and isn't quite sure what image to project. Which has nothing to do with his abilities actually, I just find it funny.

But yeah. 8 years as a scout with the Flyers, a period where most people will say they picked well, and 2 years of non-obviously stinky picks with a potential gem in Murashov seems fine. It stands to reason that Hextall lucked out and picked one guy who could do his job, right? :naughty:

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Much as I enjoy rinsing the fact that Hextall was nepotism central, there's not a whole lot of reason to think Pryor doesn't have the ability to do the job other than the fact he looks like a used car salesman who's taken over running a funeral home and isn't quite sure what image to project. Which has nothing to do with his abilities actually, I just find it funny.

Pryor looks like you could flip him upside down and use him to season a cast iron pan.

Also I dunno how I missed on the team hiring Daley years back. Seems like a solid human.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pryor looks like you could flip him upside down and use him to season a cast iron pan.

Also I dunno how I missed on the team hiring Daley years back. Seems like a solid human.

Passed under the radar as it was in season, and about the only time he was mentioned with the Penguins between then and now was when he played a couple of ECHL games to help a buddy out during covid.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Zirakzigil

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think most new GMs/POHOs have a fair amount of holdovers in their first season. There is a lot of valuable institutional knowledge, scouting reports, etc.

Over the course of the season, they can get a better sense of how those holdovers truly operate and then make a decision from there.

I thought he might try to bring in one trusted advisor from Toronto besides Spezza, but those people may not have been permitted to interview or may be under contract still. Another year will provide a larger candidate pool for additions.

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think most new GMs/POHOs have a fair amount of holdovers in their first season. There is a lot of valuable institutional knowledge, scouting reports, etc.

Over the course of the season, they can get a better sense of how those holdovers truly operate and then make a decision from there.

I thought he might try to bring in one trusted advisor from Toronto besides Spezza, but those people may not have been permitted to interview or may be under contract still. Another year will provide a larger candidate pool for additions.

True of Rutherford at least.

But the front office Hextall left felt thin and dysfunctional. Rutherford inherited Fitzgerald and Botterill as guys with some experience.

I mean, again, I know nothing. But if nothing else, this doesn't feel like what Dubas was intending to happen.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What if Dubas is actually Sully doing a deep AI fake?
Speaking of AI, those AI muscle bound videos are dope but there is no hockey one? if I knew how to play with AI i'd make a hockey one with the stars in it all roided out, probably add Ruh too just because...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
When Dubas announced this, did he say: “Let me introduce…myself…” ? Lol….I think Dubas could star in a new version of The Office…

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Regardless if hes the GM or not, I think he will be calling the shots. I think he will just assume GM duties until the team starts to slide. Then he will likely hire a GM.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, the dynamic seems to be like in Vancouver where JR, as POHO pretty much does everything and Alvin is basically just GM in title only.

Or Sully and/or Sid's the GM, or something. I can't keep up.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad