Downie's hit on Josi

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Hey guys. I came here in search of a thread on this hit as I wanted to discuss it a bit but didn't see a dedicated thread for it. Trotz is making a stink about it saying there is no place for plays or players like Downie in this league.

I think Trotz is blowing this way out of proportion given Downie's history of being a player who is often picked on by the ref's. I don't even think this hit wasa penalty. He didn't leave his feet until after the hit and only did so because he was falling. He definitely didn't charge as you can see Downs just coasting into the corner right before the hit. Here is the article about the hit: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...ing-to-get-hits-like-downies-out-of-the-game/

For the record I loved Downie while he was here in Tampa. He is a great energy player that is very underrated skill wise. I wish we could of held on to him.

dyk6ee.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
We talked about it plenty in the GDT and in the thread on the main forum.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Someone should make a video of Downie's last 2 games, i'm sure he has enough highlights in those 2 games alone :laugh:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Someone should make a video of Downie's last 2 games, i'm sure he has enough highlights in those 2 games alone :laugh:

If you go back to game one last year, and make it his last three games (not including where he got hurt his first shift of game 2) it would be an epic video.

Mant*

That gif is cleverly doctored to pause AFTER contact is made and momentum starts carrying Downie over Josi. It's deliberately paused there, rather than several frames earlier when contact is actually made, to make it look like Downie left his feet before the hit.

So I'll quote the still frames that show the real story.
Pre-contact:
RIna2KD.jpg

I6n2ExC.jpg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I would go out on a limb to say Shanahan doesn't actually run that twitter account.

Also, I don't know what's funnier, the guy that says "@NHLShanahan you suck very very badly at your job" or the guy that says "@NHLShanahan watching it frame by frame shows that he is airborne before making contact." Even though the photo they display clearly shows Downie with his feet planted on the ice and making contact with Josi.

Mant*

Yeah, Predators are talking about revenge or whatever on Downie, I think the Avs need to send a message to Weber.

Predators as in the players? Or Predators as in a couple of [mod] fans?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
The only one I heard say anything directly was Gaustad, which I don't think is exactly sending terror through the Avs dressing room.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
The only one I heard say anything directly was Gaustad, which I don't think is exactly sending terror through the Avs dressing room.

Yeah, reviewing the info out there, I'd have been more factual just saying "Gaustad" in place of "Predators", as he's the only one on record as having said anything that can be taken as retaliatory.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Downie had two big hits on Weber that would have had Preds go after him in this game and will have hits that will make Preds go after him next game.

That's how he rolls and if Preds come after him, he's obviously prepared for it.

All this talk about how it's a long season and we play these guys more times is just huffing and puffing.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Injuries happen. Bad news, hope he recovers quick. Still a beautiful hit and I hope Downie delivers those all season long.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
The Preds fans are talking about taking revenge on Mackinnon

If they specifically wish an injury on any player it's against site rules, so I'm sure they're Mods are on top of it.

RL is right ... Something that you guys could do is to report the posts where/if they are wishing injuries . Someone will handle the report and see if we need to take further actions.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Unfortunate that he got a concussion but Landy got one on a clean hit too... had his head down...

Hope he recovers quickly

There are some serious ill wishes coming from Preds fans. Hope the Preds themselves dont "Target their star players"

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
I am still scratching my head over the " bad hit" nonsense... maybe we should put these guys in dresses and have no contact hockey... ok, that was a little overboard... but give me a frickin break... HE left his feet AFTER the hit! its a fact, not an opinion....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad