News Article: Downie scratched versus NYR

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
People were jumping for joy when he came and Talbot was out. I will probably not say something popular - but I kinda preferred Talbot. Downie did some good playing for a little while, but I've never really been that impressed...

I was impressed. When Downie came on board, he sparked the line with Coots and Read that almost singlehandedly (OK, six-handedly) turned the season around with a half dozen great performances back to back. We owe him the benefit of the doubt for his injuries. He can play in the top 6 if needed, and is very strong on the puck/boards, which comes in handy in playoff races/playoff games.

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
I was impressed. When Downie came on board, he sparked the line with Coots and Read that almost singlehandedly (OK, six-handedly) turned the season around with a half dozen great performances back to back. We owe him the benefit of the doubt for his injuries. He can play in the top 6 if needed, and is very strong on the puck/boards, which comes in handy in playoff races/playoff games.

Spot on....

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
something definitely messed Downie up in that fight from that Caps blowout from a couple months back. he got his face crushed in and he's never been the same since. i don't think he's fully healed from that. Downie throughout his entire career has always racked up penalty minutes and when was the last time he fought someone? the Caps game. i think he's playing very tentatively right now. he's afraid to get hurt. which is the complete opposite of the normal Downie that played fearless and was a recking ball out there.

lets hope the long olympic break gives him more time to heal cause we really need the old Downie back.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It is not so much that he is playing tentative but he is playing completely stupid and displaying his Downie syndrome. That was always my concern when they got him..lack of discipline. This team already has a big problem being undisciplined that Berube can't seem to rein in ...Downie just compounds the problem. Talbot was more of a team player...hence why Roy acquired him.

Also..does Downie even have any friends on the Flyers?

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
something definitely messed Downie up in that fight from that Caps blowout from a couple months back. he got his face crushed in and he's never been the same since. i don't think he's fully healed from that. Downie throughout his entire career has always racked up penalty minutes and when was the last time he fought someone? the Caps game. i think he's playing very tentatively right now. he's afraid to get hurt. which is the complete opposite of the normal Downie that played fearless and was a recking ball out there.

lets hope the long olympic break gives him more time to heal cause we really need the old Downie back.

There's something definitely off, that's for sure. He's not effective at doing anything right now and seems even slower than normal.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It is not so much that he is playing tentative but he is playing completely stupid and displaying his Downie syndrome. That was always my concern when they got him..lack of discipline. This team already has a big problem being undisciplined that Berube can't seem to rein in ...Downie just compounds the problem. Talbot was more of a team player...hence why Roy acquired him.

Also..does Downie even have any friends on the Flyers?

Vinny and G seemed on pretty good terms with him when on flight plan, and Vinny said something about him being a great teammate and a great guy off ice when he joined.

He maybe roomed with G on the phantoms as well? They played on the same line for sure.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia

I'm pretty sure that Caps game was Downie's like 2nd game as a Flyers, I'm next to positive. He's played well since then on the Couts line, where he racked up some points. Maybe he got hit again bringing back so symptoms or something but his struggles didn't start with that fight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad