News Article: Downie scratched versus NYR

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
McGinn playing like he usually does is better then Downie playing like he has lately even in the third line.

Smart move, but there really is no consistency with what can get you benched and what can't on this team.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I feel like this is an excuse to get Rosehill into the line up against a division rival. Downie had an awful game yesterday...but why does he get scratched when other guys (Hartnell, Simmonds, Schenn, etc) went through LONG stretches of poor play this year and stayed in the line up?

Hopefully Read is back and healthy soon so they can put that line back together. This Vinny-Coots combo hasnt been working well for anyone involved.

MrMajestyk

Oct 12, 2013
I feel like this is an excuse to get Rosehill into the line up against a division rival. Downie had an awful game yesterday...but why does he get scratched when other guys (Hartnell, Simmonds, Schenn, etc) went through LONG stretches of poor play this year and stayed in the line up?

Hopefully Read is back and healthy soon so they can put that line back together. This Vinny-Coots combo hasnt been working well for anyone involved.

Downie has been awful since he came back and deserves this completely. He has led directly to numerous goals with silly turnovers, and most disturbing considering his normal game, getting easily knocked off the puck. Could be injury residue but he is going down with the slightest body contact.

Evergreen

Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn - Simmonds
McGinn - Couturier - Lecavalier
Rosehill - Vandevelde - Hall

Is that the expected forward lineup today? I wish we could call up Akeson and give him a shot with Couturier and Vinny.

Raffl House

Oct 2, 2004
South Philadelphia

It's not just yesterday...

Downie has been awful since he came back and deserves this completely. He has led directly to numerous goals with silly turnovers, and most disturbing considering his normal game, getting easily knocked off the puck. Could be injury residue but he is going down with the slightest body contact.

:nod: This. I've noticed it since he has come back...he just doesn't look like the same player. I don't know if he was upset that he was on a featured line prior to his absence, and ended up on the fourth line with limited minutes upon his return? Either way...you need to battle and his compete level wasn't even close to his pre-injury days.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Schenn - Simmonds
McGinn - Couturier - Lecavalier
Rosehill - Vandevelde - Hall

Is that the expected forward lineup today? I wish we could call up Akeson and give him a shot with Couturier and Vinny.

Yea with the obvious correction that Hall will C the 4th line.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
It's not just yesterday...

:nod: This. I've noticed it since he has come back...he just doesn't look like the same player. I don't know if he was upset that he was on a featured line prior to his absence, and ended up on the fourth line with limited minutes upon his return? Either way...you need to battle and his compete level wasn't even close to his pre-injury days.

And you know what, he has every right to be pissed. The three were firing on all cylinders and played nearly picture perfect hockey for a shutdown line. Berube ****ed them all over just to get the other boys going. He's extremely lucky it worked out.

BUT as a true professional you have to learn to suck it up and put the team above everything else.

Raffl House

Oct 2, 2004
South Philadelphia
And you know what, he has every right to be pissed. The three were firing on all cylinders and played nearly picture perfect hockey for a shutdown line. Berube ****ed them all over just to get the other boys going. He's extremely lucky it worked out.

BUT as a true professional you have to learn to suck it up and put the team above everything else.

Well, that's exactly the point. I think CB would have given him plenty of opportunities to get his feet back in the game, including moving him to the line and shifting, say, a different winger up/down so he gets the opportunity. But nothing in this world is guaranteed, and you should put on your hard hat and get to work no matter where you are.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
This one was well deserved, he's been garage for weeks now. I think everybody touched base on most of everything he's been doing wrong but I would like to add that how many prime scoring chances he's come away empty handed over the weeks as well.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
finally-he just is not same player at all.maybe roy saw it coming.absolutely deserves it ,has done nothing to contribute.turns pucks over,screws up easy chances and skates around like a zombie.total buzzkill when hes out there.

Raffl House

Oct 2, 2004
South Philadelphia
finally-he just is not same player at all.maybe roy saw it coming.absolutely deserves it ,has done nothing to contribute.turns pucks over,screws up easy chances and skates around like a zombie.total buzzkill when hes out there.

Were you saying the same thing when he was playing on the best Flyers line earlier in the season? :sarcasm:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Were you saying the same thing when he was playing on the best Flyers line earlier in the season? :sarcasm:
Downie has clearly been playing hurt, but is just too tough to take himself out of the lineup, so Berube did it for him.

He missed some games after a headshot, and has taken a few more. I really think he's got concussion symptoms or at least a bad neck.

He will be fine. We need his doggedness on the puck, which is only missing because he's hurt.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
we missed him tonight, though Rosehill and McGinn played well enough given their skillset and TOI.

Who's the odd man out of the top 3 lines when everyone is healthy?

Raffl - G - Voracek still playing well
Hartnell - Schenn - Simmonds suddenly has plenty of jump and scoring
Read - Couturier - Downie was really the line that turned this whole thing around.

Does Vinny take Raffl's spot? Downie's? Sit Vinny a couple games to rest his back?

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
What are the chances Downie would have done something dumb to Carcillo?

Better than the chances the Flyers would take this game....

Seriosly, he would definitely fight someone - probably Carcillo and Downie would have reinjured himself which would have been just as stupid as a suspension.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd rather take Downie at 60% over Rosehill at 150% after last night.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I still think Downie can be on this team next season if he accepts moderate money and term. When healthy he is a solid bottom-6 role player who can move up in the lineup on occasions but definitely won't get paid like a top-6 scoring forward.

In the worst case we got rid of Talbot's overpaid contract and got another free roster sport for next season...

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
Wasn't Downie supposed to still be out from the initial diagnosis of his injury?

They must not be happy with him or they could have said he was scratched because he is still not 100%.

I think they need to make a decision on where Vinny and Downie go because the 3rd line is a mess. Downie looked like a perfect fit with Coots and Read before her was injured. Dug out pucks and maintained possession. Nice set ups for Coots & Read.

As far as Downie coming back next season, what makes people think he will want to?
He can see he will have problems getting minutes and very little PP time when the team is healthy.

I love Raffl's speed on the top line but he still can't finish. I would like to see Vinny or Schenn get a shot on the top line.

shipwreck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sep 7, 2011
Texas
People were jumping for joy when he came and Talbot was out. I will probably not say something popular - but I kinda preferred Talbot. Downie did some good playing for a little while, but I've never really been that impressed...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad