Proposal: Dowd for Kakko

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Thank your lucky stars for imbd.com and their movie quotes, otherwise you'd just be sitting in front of your computer looking like an envelope without any address on it,
Don't let this distract you from the the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1 for 1 Trade Dowd for Kakko.

Rangers add a great (the best?) depth center for two playoff runs. Caps can retain if it makes a difference. Dowd already knows Lavi's system and Lavi loved him.

Caps take a chance on Kakko, get younger, and hope for his upside to kick in.
look we all want a bargain, but cut the bs

Dowd does not have that value even though Kskko is a bit of a bust given draft position.
while KK is not an overnight success of elite stature, he is not a bust, per honest eye test
- productive w/kid line featuring lesser version of LaF since promoted for turning into Steve Vickers, as bern predicted
- injured and bad luck on Chytil. Not his fault. looked good w/Cuylle.
need a pivot, again not his fault
Brodz fine for now
line is producing
CHEMISTRY IS OFTEN IMPORTANT
no need to make crazy ass change w'o too much profit to turn down which this obv is not

kakko is ten years younger, talent and upside is there and has shown flashes of being elite defensively. the emergence of brodzinski (also younger and cheaper) - dowd becomes a redundancy and has loads less value than kakko. pretty brutal proposal.

if the rangers move for a center it needs to be for an upgrade like henrique etc.
bold = 1111%
If a pivot it will be a serious upgrade, not another vet rental = win now epic fail

Rangers fans, no real disagreement with your evaluation of the proposal.
Would adding Mantha at 50% retention change anything? Nothing else from the NYR side.

Just curious. Not actually sure if Kakko is the asset I'd target though I probably wouldn't refuse.
No, adding will not move the needle
the bern mantra is finally taking hold
no more youth for vets
vets for vets
youth for youth
but no more youth for vets

While Kakko has nowhere near the value he had a year ago, Dowd’s presence doesn’t make up for losing Kakko in the lineup. If they’re going to move Kakko for a veteran type, it’ll be in a deal for a David Perron type of player. Someone who can contribute on the scoresheet, who’s also hard to play against. Someone who solidifies their PP. Even at that, Detroit would still likely have to add a future asset.

It’s nothing against Dowd, but Kakko isn’t a player on the verge of being scratched. He’s still a solid depth piece, with more upside of making an impact than Dowd would be.

He’s a great story, but we have to keep things in perspective.
I disagree w/da bold
sure, it has been uneven and it was a difficult start, but he his value is up and rising for reasons stated above
will improve further w/correct linemates, chemistry

I'm not saying that it's a great deal for the Rangers but at the same time, I honestly don't think Kakko commands nearly as much value as what some think. He's been held up by his draft position for awhile now. If he was drafted in the 4th round, teams would maybe give up a 3rd for him.
You are entitled to that op but it is wrong
As per above, he demonstrated he can be productive and is w/correct Fs
First, LaF skating subpar held him and KK back
Then it got so good, he was advanced to 2nd line
Chytil was ok until concussion
KK is/will be fine

prefer to keep and add to him, not deal

May I introduce you to our lord and savior, Bern?
DON'T SAY THAT EVEN TO BE FUNNY
blasphemy is no joke

bern is more like John the Baptist -- the angry voice in the wind that speaks the truth

This is so bad that I'm not even sure you'll get a @bernmeister response.
Oh, it gets the honest appraisal it deserves -- full condemnation

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I know is that the young players on the Capitals that Lavy jerked around are beginning to develop and show their skills, i.e. McMichael.
We appreciate your concerns but Lafreniere is having his best season in his young career under Lavi. Schneider has improved under Lavi. Cuyle has cemented himself upon the lineup under Lavi. We’re good. ✌🏼

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Don't let this distract you from the the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, Bubba "Spare Tire" Dixon.
Dang! Evidently the fumes from the TA buses on 7th Avenue are much more toxic now then they were when I was growing up in Brooklyn and watching the Rangers on Ch 9/WOR TV with Camille Henry and Harry Howell on the ice and Emile Francis behind the bench.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Dang! Evidently the fumes from the TA buses on 7th Avenue are much more toxic now then they were when I was growing up in Brooklyn and watching the Rangers on Ch 9/WOR TV with Camille Henry and Harry Howell on the ice and Emile Francis behind the bench.
Bipolar Caps Poster

Reactions: Kupo

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm not saying that it's a great deal for the Rangers but at the same time, I honestly don't think Kakko commands nearly as much value as what some think. He's been held up by his draft position for awhile now. If he was drafted in the 4th round, teams would maybe give up a 3rd for him.
Kakko is having a down year statistically, but he just put up 40 points last year at age 21. Dowd is 33 and his career high is 25 points.

It's funny how this time last year, everyone was praising Kakko and shitting on Laf. The recency bias is ridiculous. The only reason fans of other teams make stupid threads like this is because they actually believe that Kakko has a lot more to give.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
1 for 1 Trade Dowd for Kakko.

Rangers add a great (the best?) depth center for two playoff runs. Caps can retain if it makes a difference. Dowd already knows Lavi's system and Lavi loved him.

Caps take a chance on Kakko, get younger, and hope for his upside to kick in.
Crack is not safe

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This seems stupid at face value but I also wouldn't be overly surprised if both of them would be moved for roughly a 2nd round pick in terms of value. I don't think is horrible in a vacuum but the optics of it being the #2 overall pick for a 4th liner obviously skew it.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kakko is having a down year statistically, but he just put up 40 points last year at age 21. Dowd is 33 and his career high is 25 points.

It's funny how this time last year, everyone was praising Kakko and shitting on Laf. The recency bias is ridiculous. The only reason fans of other teams make stupid threads like this is because they actually believe that Kakko has a lot more to give.
I literally started with "I'm not saying it's a good deal for the Rangers".

He's worth more than Dowd but maybe not that much more.

• Haha
Reactions: LaffyTaffy13

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Rangers fans, no real disagreement with your evaluation of the proposal.
Would adding Mantha at 50% retention change anything? Nothing else from the NYR side.

Just curious. Not actually sure if Kakko is the asset I'd target though I probably wouldn't refuse.
Mantha.

So say you were at a nice restaurant and ordered your meal and when it got to the table, I came over and offered you half of a shit sandwich in exchange for the meal you sat down, thought about, and ordered for yourself.

You, predictably, decline the deal.

I counter by offering to add the other half of the shit sandwich.

That is how I feel about this proposal.

We are in first place. I want to enjoy it without dealing with unnecessary shit.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
In essence:
Capitals Dowd and Pacioretty (resulting in about a 2.7 cap hit according to CF, centerman and forward) for Rangers Goodrow and Kakko (5.7 mil in cap according to CF), along with '24 1st and 2nd)

The 2024 draft does not look like a strong one and the likes of Jeff Marek and Elliot Friedman suggest that the quality of players drops significantly after the top 20. Most likely the Rangers first round pick will be 25 or later.
That seems a bit rich to me. Well, way too rich,
1. Pacioretty has 7 of his 13 points on the powerplay. Now PP points matter, but on NYR, that's not happening.
2. I'm assuming the 1st is here to to get rid of Goodrows contract and if we're paying to do that, I'd want something better than a 35 year old.
3. I like Dowd, but if we were willing to part with all that, we'd just give up the 1st for Dowd and call it a day. (I'm not saying we should. To be clear, we shouldn't.)

This is going to be a unique draft. I don't think you look at the draft and say this is a can't miss/better hoard your first round picks, but I do think there's a lot of players currently mid-late first round, and in the second round that can fall a lot of spots. This is a good draft to have multiple early selections from late 1st - 3rd round picks. There's a lot of players that you can hit a home run with should they fall and actually develop to their ceilings.

Last edited:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Kakko for Ryan Leonard isn’t remotely close, and it’s still a trade that makes more sense than the silliness OP proposed.

Reactions: tlk and Kupo

8To34

Feb 21, 2024
OP is not a real fan or he would know that the Caps don't do Finns under any circumstance. You could offer Kaakko for a 7th round pick and they'd turn it down lol.

Dowd is gonna be a Goodrow to Tampa tier acquisition for somebody, possibly better since he is a slightly better player. Dowd + 4th for 1st from a contender is fair given that he's the type of deadline rental who actually makes an impact and would cost nothing cap wise, and would be there for 2 playoff runs. Otherwise keep him for a year and sell him for a 2nd at the next deadline.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
OP is not a real fan or he would know that the Caps don't do Finns under any circumstance. You could offer Kaakko for a 7th round pick and they'd turn it down lol.

Dowd is gonna be a Goodrow to Tampa tier acquisition for somebody, possibly better since he is a slightly better player. Dowd + 4th for 1st from a contender is fair given that he's the type of deadline rental who actually makes an impact and would cost nothing cap wise, and would be there for 2 playoff runs. Otherwise keep him for a year and sell him for a 2nd at the next deadline.
If he gets that, then Evans is worth even more, so I hope so.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Mantha.

So say you were at a nice restaurant and ordered your meal and when it got to the table, I came over and offered you half of a shit sandwich in exchange for the meal you sat down, thought about, and ordered for yourself.

You, predictably, decline the deal.

I counter by offering to add the other half of the shit sandwich.

That is how I feel about this proposal.

We are in first place. I want to enjoy it without dealing with unnecessary shit.
you planned a nice night out and are presumably paying decent money for your meal and you still picked kakko for your meal soooooo you kinda lose either way...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad