Proposal: Dowd for Kakko

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
kakko is ten years younger, talent and upside is there and has shown flashes of being elite defensively. the emergence of brodzinski (also younger and cheaper) - dowd becomes a redundancy and has loads less value than kakko. pretty brutal proposal.

if the rangers move for a center it needs to be for an upgrade like henrique etc.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Rangers fans, no real disagreement with your evaluation of the proposal.
Would adding Mantha at 50% retention change anything? Nothing else from the NYR side.

Just curious. Not actually sure if Kakko is the asset I'd target though I probably wouldn't refuse.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
1 for 1 Trade Dowd for Kakko.

Rangers add a great (the best?) depth center for two playoff runs. Caps can retain if it makes a difference. Dowd already knows Lavi's system and Lavi loved him.

Caps take a chance on Kakko, get younger, and hope for his upside to kick in.
While Kakko has nowhere near the value he had a year ago, Dowd’s presence doesn’t make up for losing Kakko in the lineup. If they’re going to move Kakko for a veteran type, it’ll be in a deal for a David Perron type of player. Someone who can contribute on the scoresheet, who’s also hard to play against. Someone who solidifies their PP. Even at that, Detroit would still likely have to add a future asset.

It’s nothing against Dowd, but Kakko isn’t a player on the verge of being scratched. He’s still a solid depth piece, with more upside of making an impact than Dowd would be.

He’s a great story, but we have to keep things in perspective.

Reactions: andora

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
1 for 1 Trade Dowd for Kakko.

Rangers add a great (the best?) depth center for two playoff runs. Caps can retain if it makes a difference. Dowd already knows Lavi's system and Lavi loved him.

Caps take a chance on Kakko, get younger, and hope for his upside to kick in.
This is it the worst trade proposal I have ever seen on here that was serious. Congrats! you did it.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Even if this was fair value for the Rangers (it isn't), how does it help us to trade a player off our roster to fill a hole? We'd just be creating another hole. We need to add a RW as it is. Try to employ some common sense at least before you propose stuff like this.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
a 4th liner doesn't get is pa recent 2nd overall pick. I don't care how good that 4th liner is and how poorly that 2nd overall pick laying. It simply doesn't happen.
Ranger fans probably took a similar position on Dylan McIlrath around 2012.

The OP is not off on his assessment of Laviolette and his loyalty towards veterans that he knows. Capitals fans experienced this first hand with him, i.e. Matt Irwin and Craig Smith, players that he had when he was the HC in Nashville he wanted and had on the Caps. Wouldn't surprised me that Gustafsson is with the Rangers now because Lavy had him last season in Washington. Capitals fans became frustrated with him relying more on the veterans rather then giving opportunities to the young players last year. Maybe he's changed and Kakko will get his opportunities and flourish under Laviolette's tutelage. All I know is that the young players on the Capitals that Lavy jerked around are beginning to develop and show their skills, i.e. McMichael.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
"At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

would be like the rangers trying to get leonard and cristall for like bobby trivigno.

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
"At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

would be like the rangers trying to get leonard and cristall for like bobby trivigno.
Thank your lucky stars for imbd.com and their movie quotes, otherwise you'd just be sitting in front of your computer looking like an envelope without any address on it,

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This deal is shit for the Rangers, but what's funny is that this kind of deal is actually not unprecendented:

New York and Minnesota worked out a deal Sunday early in the NHL draft that sent Clutterbuck and a third-round pick to the Islanders for fellow forward Nino Niederreiter, the No. 5 overall pick in the 2010 draft.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Ranger fans probably took a similar position on Dylan McIlrath around 2012.

The OP is not off on his assessment of Laviolette and his loyalty towards veterans that he knows. Capitals fans experienced this first hand with him, i.e. Matt Irwin and Craig Smith, players that he had when he was the HC in Nashville he wanted and had on the Caps. Wouldn't surprised me that Gustafsson is with the Rangers now because Lavy had him last season in Washington. Capitals fans became frustrated with him relying more on the veterans rather then giving opportunities to the young players last year. Maybe he's changed and Kakko will get his opportunities and flourish under Laviolette's tutelage. All I know is that the young players on the Capitals that Lavy jerked around are beginning to develop and show their skills, i.e. McMichael.
Good thing Laviolette isn't the GM, eh?

Reactions: Nickmo82

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm not saying that it's a great deal for the Rangers but at the same time, I honestly don't think Kakko commands nearly as much value as what some think. He's been held up by his draft position for awhile now. If he was drafted in the 4th round, teams would maybe give up a 3rd for him.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Good thing Laviolette isn't the GM, eh?
When you approach the trade dead line as we all know there are buyers and there are sellers. Buyers are motivated by the now, that is trying to improve their team for the immediate to make them better for the playoffs and a SC run. Sellers on the other hand are looking at the future, what could make them better perhaps as soon as next season or thereafter. So Rangers fans in the teams current position should be asking themselves who would make the team better now Dowd or Kakko. We are talking about today and the next few months, looking at the future of the two players and their age difference is a non factor in such an analysis.

I'm not supporting the original proposal, rather the one I would go with is Dowd (for what has already been stated about him), Pacioretty (who like Chris Drury is a Connecticut boy and though he has a NMC, he indicated that it'll be a geographical decision for him to waive it as he's indicated that his family is on the east coast, so most likely he would waive it for the Rangers). Caps would further offer to eat 50% of Dowd's contract and take Barclay Goodrow and his albatross contract back. But to do all of this the Capitals would get Kakko along with the Rangers 1st and 2nd round pick this year for taking on Goodrow's contract that we know Rangers and their fans would like to shed.

In essence:
Capitals Dowd and Pacioretty (resulting in about a 2.7 cap hit according to CF, centerman and forward) for Rangers Goodrow and Kakko (5.7 mil in cap according to CF), along with '24 1st and 2nd)

The 2024 draft does not look like a strong one and the likes of Jeff Marek and Elliot Friedman suggest that the quality of players drops significantly after the top 20. Most likely the Rangers first round pick will be 25 or later.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad