Confirmed with Link: Douglas Murray signed 1 year deal ($1.5m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what this is...?

They didn't sign a guy to a 1 year deal at the end of August to put him on the first pairing...

Anyway assuming the $ is cheap, no problems with this. Murray isn't who he was years ago but some experienced D depth can't hurt, and he can bring a needed dimension of toughness.

With Therrien, you never know. He might develop a man-crush on Murray. That's what I meant with my bottom-pairing hope. ;)

I'm ok with this signing as experienced D depth, absolutely.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
If this signing happened a few years ago I would be thrilled, but Murray is simply too slow now. I still do like the signing, but I don't want to see him in anything more than a bottom pairing role. He brings size and physicality to the lineup and he also buys some time for Tinordi to develop.

hogtownhabsfan*

One year deal is a show me contract. We are getting a motivated Douglas Murray who will show up in great shape playing for a new contract.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Really like our defence!

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Murray-Diaz

Bouillon-Drewiske

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Pretty safe to say Tinordi is going to spend the majority of the season in Hamilton, if not all of it.

Or at least he'll have to force his way onto the roster instead of having a spot given to him.

Best case scenario, by Dec-Jan Tinordi and Emelin are getting top 6 minutes and Murray becomes a tradeable asset and we get a pick back for him(2nd or 3rd).

Subban
Markov
Gorges
Emelin(inj)
Diaz
Murray
Bouillon
Drewiske

Tinordi

From speaking to NHL folks, the issue with Murray is he's gotten too big. It's not necessarily fat, but he is too bulky at 6'3" 250lbs to be a big minute(20-22/night) guy the last few years. I would love it if he showed up at camp at 230-235lbs, which at 6'3" is still a tank.

Bourdon101

Jul 21, 2012
Well I do like the move. Its a step toward the goal of a tougher team, and on a (probably) cheap one-year contract, this kind of veteran, strong player can help. Hopefully it will help clearing the crease.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
I hear you, that's not really on Bergevin though.

One would think Bergevin would run this sort of late-offseason signing by Therrien, at this point? Or if not run it by him, broach the conversation. I'd imagine Therrien is well into the thick of preparing for the season.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
One would think Bergevin would run this sort of late-offseason signing by Therrien, at this point? Or if not run it by him, broach the conversation. I'd imagine Therrien is well into the thick of preparing for the season.

No but what I mean is that if Bergevin signs him as a depth defenseman and Therrien uses him on the powerplay like some harebrained Bouillon Part 2 scheme...well that's not really on Bergevin. He did his job in adding some depth, it's up to Therrien to use him properly.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm cautiously optimistic about the signing. Does anyone know if he can play Right D?

hogtownhabsfan*

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Murray
Tinordi/Diaz/Boullion

Drewiskie

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Good signing.

But now I don't understand the Bouillon and Drewiskie signings. We will have 9 defensemen including Tinordi when everybody's healthy.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
#6/7/8 D

Looks like Tinordi will have another AHL season, which isn't a bad thing.

1. PK Subban
2. Andrei Markov
3. Josh Gorges
4. Alexei Emelin
5. Rafael Diaz
6. Francis Bouillon
7. Davis Drewiske
8. Douglas Murray

Last edited:

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I'm cautiously optimistic about the signing. Does anyone know if he can play Right D?

I don't believe so,

I think they are going to have Tinordi play RD with Markov and Murraynon LD with Daiz.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
No but what I mean is that if Bergevin signs him as a depth defenseman and Therrien uses him on the powerplay like some harebrained Bouillon Part 2 scheme...well that's not really on Bergevin. He did his job in adding some depth, it's up to Therrien to use him properly.

Understood.

Bouillon on the PP, as bad as that is, isn't near Gorges-level of awfulness. Murray would be similarly laughable at it.

Wonder if this finally closes the door on the Morrow rumours

I'm still down to sign him on the cheap. Injuries will inevitably hit.

Besides, then we'll have two of three Pens' deadline pickups. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad