Player Discussion Dougie Hamilton

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
The notion that Dougie is soft is ridiculous. He has never backed down, doesn't shy away. That would be soft. There is a difference between being soft and choosing when to be physical.

Will he ever be elite at boxing out the front of the net? No. But he looks good behind the net, hits, shoves, and I'm not sure what's expected of him physically if we don't want him out there taking penalties.

Also, not sure how production matters so much for his contract and position. We know.he can produce, but we are seeing a.very defensively aware Dougie and that is the most important thing. If we wanted a defenseman for his points, pretty sure Yandle got paid 7m or.slmething. Hell, Hamilton makes 250,000$ more than Goligoski. His contract is great and.long term.

He's been our best defenseman outside of the first few games and I really don't see the need for him to be the one getting criticized.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Dougie isn't a soft dman at all. You just need to watch him for one game and you will see that. He's absolutely developed an edge since coming here, I kinda have a hunch hunch playing with his brother might have something to do with it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm getting a real "relieved" vibe about Dougie Hamilton. I had my doubts last year about the player, but the level he's at right now in terms of play and production is fantastic.

No Brent Burns vibe for me, as Burns has a different level of mobility.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Yeah Burns is way more aggressive in the o-zone. Dougie does pretty much all of his work from the point, whereas Burns has the ability and the instincts to be able to go anywhere.

Give it a few years and maybe he can be like that but I'm pretty happy with him today.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Dougie is awesome. He's on the way to being our best overall defenseman in every zone. Plus his vid bombs are fantastic.

He is going to be so dangerous once Tkachuk gets stronger and can really dominate down low. Will open up the points a bit more and can definitely see Hamilton starting to sneak into the slot more.

Would love to have him on the #1 pp

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I think he's been our best player this year, all due respect to the triple-M line.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I think he's been our best player this year, all due respect to the triple-M line.

I'm still giving that one to Gio. His rock-solid defensive play is what's allowing Doug to go and score all his points.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Anybody starting to get a Brent Burns vibe from Dougie?

I'm really just getting a Giordano vibe from him, offensively. He's very similar in the propensity to take wristers, ability to find lanes, and the way he will sneak into the high slot.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Still waiting for UC to deliver the goods from last night.

Dougie is a beaut, seriously. He does a little bit of everything and is not soft, he is easily our best scorer from the blueline. He probably won't ever win a Norris, but I think he will have a career very similar to Letang, probably some 60 point seasons with some epic photobombs. I said this last season, but he will pass Brodie as our top dman, his tools are just to good.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
26BGCQWhOulHPgSU8.gif

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Hey Flames fans
Just curious to know if you guys think Dougie has more upside to is game ?
By the look of it he had a solid year on offense and improved on defense
Thx

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Hey Flames fans
Thx

If he reduces his penalty-taking a smidge, gets used on the first PP unit instead of the second, and the team has a less unlucky year, 65-70 points are not out of the question for him. He hit 50 last year while playing second unit PP, that's virtually unheard of for a Dman who excels on the PP.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hey Flames fans
Thx

At worst, I would rate him as a high end #3 right now. When I let my bias slip in, he's already a low end #2. I don't know if he'll ever be one of those unanimous #1 guys someday, but it's possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad