Dougie Hamilton is on pace for 23 pts, by far the worst offensive production of his NHL career

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Is this thread serious? Ovechkin has as many goals as your #2 scorer has points.

John Tavares, Jeff Skinneer, Ovechkin AND Steven Stamkos have more goals than Justin Willams has points, Justin Willams is #3 in team scoring.

It baffles me that this thread exists.

Dougie Hamilton is on a team that can't score if you want to fix Hamilton game get some scoring because the offense is pathetic

If the Flames guys weren’t doing as good as they are, especially Lindholm, this thread wouldn’t exist. Too early to tell.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I heard talk of Nylander and Gardiner for Hamilton and Bennett being turned down by the Leafs. No idea if that was legitimate or the other trade.
Thank god that one didnt happen. Lindholm and Hanifin are much better.

Reactions: CF84

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
It's been a good deal for Calgary so far, but I'm still not 100% sure it's one they wanted to make.

Hamilton clearly wanted out, Fox wouldn't sign in Calgary and Ferland was set to be a UFA. I think the deal was more about getting two solid, cost-controlled assets for a bunch of pieces that
weren't ideal for the Flames. It just happened to work out really well on the ice, at least so far.
Dougie did say he didn’t think he was being traded to Carolina. The rumour is there was a big deal in place with St. Louis. At the last minute, Armstrong changed the deal and the Flames walked. Don’t know the players involved but I love the way it worked out for Calgary.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Still dominating on ice numbers. And have you seen carolina’s shooting percentages? And dougie’s individual shooting percentage? It’s the Carolina curse not anything wrong with Dougie.
Surely someone who believes in stats and percentages can’t possibly believe there’s such a thing as a curse. There’s no such thing as a curse, Aho is performing admirably along with a few others.

Dougie Hamilton might look good on paper to the analytics crowd. But his play on the ice never matched. My personal explanation is that Dougie tends to spam shots from the point rather than hold on to the puck and look for the best options. He’ll always have a high corsi regardless of his actual performance as a player.

He really should learn to be more patient like Mark Giordano who can walk the line, survey and make higher quality plays which leads to a higher efficiency/higher rate of goals. All I know is, I’ve been a lot more impressed with Hanifin then I ever was with Hamilton.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Gio always carried him. And we as Flames fans knew that, it was the only way to get Hamilton going.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'm left befuddled at what the FO and ownsership expected to happen with this group. The only explanation I can think of is that they expected Svechnikov and Necas to produce like all-stars as teenagers.

That and they overestimated how simple it would be to flip a suplus dman for scoring.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Hamilton is a fantastic example of the disconnect between stats vs the eye test in hockey.

Anytime his name pops up, you see lots of posters claiming he is garbage and a tire-fire defensively. But the on-ice stats have always said he was an elite defenseman.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Have never been a fan. Too many holes in his mental game and compete level that were there all along and have never been fixed.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Surely someone who believes in stats and percentages can’t possibly believe there’s such a thing as a curse. There’s no such thing as a curse, Aho is performing admirably along with a few others.

Dougie Hamilton might look good on paper to the analytics crowd. But his play on the ice never matched. My personal explanation is that Dougie tends to spam shots from the point rather than hold on to the puck and look for the best options. He’ll always have a high corsi regardless of his actual performance as a player.

He really should learn to be more patient like Mark Giordano who can walk the line, survey and make higher quality plays which leads to a higher efficiency/higher rate of goals. All I know is, I’ve been a lot more impressed with Hanifin then I ever was with Hamilton.
The funny thing is that over the span since Dougie got to Calgary, Gio has a better corsi than Dougie but Dougie has the better xGF%.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Do canes fans have regrets about trading for him in general?
No.

What’s more likely, that Hamilton has magically turned into an awful hockey player, or that the Canes are a truly woeful hockey team he can’t turn around alone and who’s first time head coach won’t use him right because he prefers Faulk?

I keep seeing people who aren’t Canes fans making Hamilton oriented threads or jacking other threads about it. The bias against the player is a bit petty and sad. He’s clearly a very skilled and strong player. He does look lost with the Canes, which is because the Canes are lost. Good players struggle here, they don’t have other good players to play with. There’s a reason Skinner and Lindy look so good somewhere else.

He doesn’t touch the puck because no one sees him cutting to the net, then standing there alone waiting for a pass. We only have one righty on the team (Williams), so no one wraps the net to find him sneaking back door. Faulk isn’t scoring either, and it’s because they don’t get a ton of chances. I honestly believe if they were both playing for a competent team they’d be putting up good numbers.

Last edited:

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
The funny thing is that over the span since Dougie got to Calgary, Gio has a better corsi than Dougie but Dougie has the better xGF%.
Sort of goes to show the fallacy of stats sometimes because I knew that things would play out exactly the way it has. I knew that Hamilton would produce less with out the insulation of Mark Giordano and the playmaking ability of Johnny Gaudreau. I also expected Giordano to increase his point totals considerably this season without having to cover up for Hamilton’s gaffes and play a stay at home style.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
It's been a good deal for Calgary so far, but I'm still not 100% sure it's one they wanted to make.

Hamilton clearly wanted out, Fox wouldn't sign in Calgary and Ferland was set to be a UFA. I think the deal was more about getting two solid, cost-controlled assets for a bunch of pieces that weren't ideal for the Flames. It just happened to work out really well on the ice, at least so far.

Flames were shopping Hamilton for 18 months before the trade went down.

Would not be surprised to see him traded a couple more times in the next 5-6 years.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Dougie always takes the first half of the season off. He'll probably still finish with 40-50 points

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
Hamilton never had the compete.. guy always get schooled once a game and takes dumb penalties. He is getting exposed in carolina now that he doesn't have gio/chara doing the work.

Reactions: BruinsFan37

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Could he be playing hurt?

If he doesn't bounce back Carolina will never hear the end of this trade.(kinda like our Rask/Raycroft trade)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad