Dougie Hamilton is on pace for 23 pts, by far the worst offensive production of his NHL career

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Well he did have 16 pts during his rookie year but only played 42 games. Now he's on pace for 23 points in 82 games, that's about half his normal production.

What the heck is happening to him? I know the Canes aren't scoring a lot of goals but even when they score he isn't touching the puck.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Dougie has slow hands and virtually no passing game in the offensive zone. If he doesn't have his teammates working to set him up in the slot, there isn't a lot he can do to generate offence.

Reactions: Migos

Crow

May 19, 2014
Do canes fans have regrets about trading for him in general?

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Hamilton is no where as good as people think nor is he has bad as people think. He's a middle pairing D who can hang with elite as f*** d-men who can carry him.

Treliving absolutely demolished Wadell in that trade. I'm still really curious to know what the other trade was for Hamilton. For reference, when Peters got the call about the trade he thought it was the other trade (the one that fell through, no one knows what it was). No one from the Flames has hinted to what the other package for Hamilton was or who the other team was; rumours from fans think it is was Philly and Tre wanted Provorov, but nothing remotely factual has come out.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The team lacks developed talent up front. Carolina doesn't have a 2nd line. Hell, they don't have a 3rd line on many nights. All 3 centers, Staal, Rask and Wallmark, each have 1 goal a piece since mid-October. McGinn is a no show most nights. The depth is so thin that Martinook has consistently played somewhere in the Top 9 all year. As a whole, the Canes have scored 2 goals or less in over half of the games played this season.

Brind'Amour is in love with the Teravainen - Faulk - Aho umbrella on the 1st PP, despite years of mediocrity from that trio in that situation. He only budged for 2-3 games earlier in the season when the PP was historically horrendous.

Hamilton is more of a goal scorer than a shooter from the back-end. He's at his best jumping into the rush, skating into space and picking corners. Carolina is a heavy forechecking team that dominates the puck. Even when those rush chances develop, the skill level to get Hamilton the puck in advantageous situations isn't there outside of the Aho line.

These are not excuses, mind you. It's just the context behind the porous production. He is underperforming individually too.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hamilton is no where as good as people think nor is he has bad as people think. He's a middle pairing D who can hang with elite as **** d-men who can carry him.

Treliving absolutely demolished Wadell in that trade. I'm still really curious to know what the other trade was for Hamilton. For reference, when Peters got the call about the trade he thought it was the other trade (the one that fell through, no one knows what it was). No one from the Flames has hinted to what the other package for Hamilton was or who the other team was; rumours from fans think it is was Philly and Tre wanted Provorov, but nothing remotely factual has come out.
I heard talk of Nylander and Gardiner for Hamilton and Bennett being turned down by the Leafs. No idea if that was legitimate or the other trade.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
He was always a slow starter for the Flames. I could easily see him ending up with 40 points still.

He has a wicked shot and he loves to use it. He knows how to get a shot through traffic and he picks up lots of assists from tips and rebounds. All he needs to do is flick his wrists and there’s a hard shot on net.

I think people overlook the fact that he led all defenseman in goals last season. Most posts I see about him lately are only focusing on his shortcomings, without really considering that he has lots of strengths too.

Reactions: goku420

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Do canes fans have regrets about trading for him in general?

Sort of. What Lindholm and Hanifin, to a lesser extent, are doing in Calgary has little baring on how I evaluate the trade. What would they have done in Carolina this year and in the future? If Ferland re-signs and Fox signs, I don't think Carolina comes out a loser, despite Calgary coming out a winner.

The problem with the trade is the broader strategy for the offseason. 2 long-term cost-controlled assets were given up for 1 mid-term cost controlled asset, a player 1 year away from unrestricted free agency and an unsigned prospect. That makes sense if you're a team seriously trying to take a step forward and win now. Carolina wasn't trying to do that, however. Skinner wouldn't have been traded and the team wouldn't have entered the season with the league's lowest payroll if that was the case. I'm left befuddled at what the FO and ownsership expected to happen with this group. The only explanation I can think of is that they expected Svechnikov and Necas to produce like all-stars as teenagers.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Dougie will heat up and pot like 20pts in 30 games or something and all will be forgotten. He always start racking up points later on in the season

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
From what I recall, Hamilton had an ok 1st season with the Flames, then had an elite season his 2nd. I remember he was top 10 in Norris votes.

Also have to think the Giordano effect. Giordano is on pace for a Norris trophy this season and is a Norris calibre defender. Elite players make those around them better. Chara did the same with Hamilton. Elevated him to another level. Not to knock the hurricanes, but I don't think Hamilton has a partner like that.

He's always struck me as more of a complimentary player then a truly solid anchor on a D pair. Players also have down season throughout their career. It's not like Hamilton will suck forever. When he's on top of his game, he's an elite D. Might just be a case of him getting used to a new team and system. I think his overall body of work is great so far in his career, and he'll bounce back soon enough.

Reactions: CF84

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
I think people are giving Hamilton a hard time here, the Hurricans are quite poor offensively and that is likely contributing to his lack of production.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I was fooled into thinking Hamilton was possibly our best player after two years in Calgary. He plays the game in a way that he looks so insanely good, such an immense shot, so much impact offensively, and showed flashes of a physical side.

Now he's gone, he's underachieving and Gio is having his best season in years. Not sure what I think anymore about Hamilton. Could just be Carolinas system, I have no idea.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I was fooled into thinking Hamilton was possibly our best player after two years in Calgary. He plays the game in a way that he looks so insanely good, such an immense shot, so much impact offensively, and showed flashes of a physical side.

Now he's gone, he's underachieving and Gio is having his best season in years. Not sure what I think anymore about Hamilton. Could just be Carolinas system, I have no idea.
I must have missed those two games. :laugh:

Reactions: CF84

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Still the Bobby Orr of advanced stats tho..

hb6kDqM.png

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Is this thread serious? Ovechkin has as many goals as your #2 scorer has points.

John Tavares, Jeff Skinneer, Ovechkin AND Steven Stamkos have more goals than Justin Willams has points, Justin Willams is #3 in team scoring.

It baffles me that this thread exists.

Dougie Hamilton is on a team that can't score if you want to fix Hamilton game get some scoring because the offense is pathetic

Last edited:

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Hamilton is no where as good as people think nor is he has bad as people think. He's a middle pairing D who can hang with elite as **** d-men who can carry him.

It's been a good deal for Calgary so far, but I'm still not 100% sure it's one they wanted to make.

Hamilton clearly wanted out, Fox wouldn't sign in Calgary and Ferland was set to be a UFA. I think the deal was more about getting two solid, cost-controlled assets for a bunch of pieces that weren't ideal for the Flames. It just happened to work out really well on the ice, at least so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad