Dougie Hamilton - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't believe he's been a #2 under this current contract, and last year he played more like a #5.

I actually liked what I was seeing in the last month of the season, appeared far more comfortable and confident, started to assert himself on many occasions carrying the puck over the blueline, trying to make some things happen, far more physical on the board battles

we`ll see, major surgery, I sure wasn`t anticipating he was going to round into form quickly with a summer full of rehab and not much in the way of the usual standard training

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I actually liked what I was seeing in the last month of the season, appeared far more comfortable and confident, started to assert himself on many occasions carrying the puck over the blueline, trying to make some things happen, far more physical on the board battles

we`ll see, major surgery, I sure wasn`t anticipating he was going to round into form quickly with a summer full of rehab and not much in the way of the usual standard training

While I would still considering moving Seidenberg if a clear-cut upgrade can be found at RD, I agree with all the above.

He looked far more comfortable as the season went on. I thought when he was paired with Krug and moved over to the right side (where he has performed better and looks more comfortable) he played his best hockey of last season.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Just sign the guy already, I don't get why it is such a big deal so far, talent doesn't grow on trees and you would think that this team has learned its lesson already.

Anyone want to take a guess who was the last drafted Bruins defense-man that played 100+ games and what year it was. The answer is sad to be honest.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Just sign the guy already, I don't get why it is such a big deal so far, talent doesn't grow on trees and you would think that this team has learned its lesson already.

Anyone want to take a guess who was the last drafted Bruins defense-man that played 100+ games and what year it was. The answer is sad to be honest.

Mark Stuart

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Alert from my Bleacher Report app:

"Bruins prepared to match any offer sheet up to 7m per season for Hamilton" (paraphrased)

apparently CSNNE reported this.

EDIT: Link (Joe Haggerty) http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/offer-sheets-remain-very-real-threat-hamilton

A source with knowledge of the Hamilton situation has indicated to CSNNE.com that the Bruins are prepared to go all the way to $7 million a season to match any offer sheet coming the defenseman’s way.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Alert from my Bleacher Report app:

"Bruins prepared to match any offer sheet up to 7m per season for Hamilton" (paraphrased)

apparently CSNNE reported this.

EDIT: Link (Joe Haggerty) http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/offer-sheets-remain-very-real-threat-hamilton

A two-year deal in the $4.5-5 million per season range would give the young D-man a nice bump to recognize the offensive breakthroughs Hamilton made while notching 10 goals and 42 points in 72 games last season. But it would also acknowledge what everybody knows about Hamilton: that the youngster still has some strides to make with work in the D-zone and decision-making with the puck.

That would be an absolute awful term for the Bruins. No bridge. Give him 8y, or be prepared to pay even more after the bridge.

As for the offer sheet, no team will go above 5y term so it plays in Bruins favor as they can offer him 3 more years.

50M/8y. What is Sweeney waiting?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Chiarelli offer sheets Dougie i swear to ****ing God...

If he does that we Boston fans need to make a trip to Edmonton :laugh:

He put us into serious problems and he got McDavid as a gift for it and millions in cap space to do offer sheets if he wants to :shakehead
Not forgetting his Hall's and RNH's.

A two-year deal in the $4.5-5 million per season range would give the young D-man a nice bump to recognize the offensive breakthroughs Hamilton made while notching 10 goals and 42 points in 72 games last season. But it would also acknowledge what everybody knows about Hamilton: that the youngster still has some strides to make with work in the D-zone and decision-making with the puck.

That would be an absolute awful term for the Bruins. No bridge. Give him 8y, or be prepared to pay even more after the bridge.

As for the offer sheet, no team will go above 5y term so it plays in Bruins favor as they can offer him 3 more years.

50M/8y. What is Sweeney waiting?

With this I agree absolutely with you, we give him a 2 year deal and we are going to be in serious cap trouble in 2 years when we have to re-sign Hamilton-Pasta-Spooner-Marchand and probably Connolly, how on earth can we survive from that if Dougie would get 8+?
Those re-signings won't be cheap and add Dougie into it and we are going to be brutal.

And if someone says the cap will be higher in 2 years, yes it will but,

1) it won't be 20M higher
and
2) I'd like to do signings to improve this team at some point, not just sell players so we can re-sign our current guys year after year.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
We act as though the front office has had zero time to get a sensible long term extension done with a 21 year old who produces, handles top pairing minutes, and has the size to grow into a #1D before the offer sheet wolves can come calling.

We have the space to get a $6m per deal done with Hamilton, Chiarelli's prior work has nothing to do with it, and if the Bruins let Dougie walk for an offer sheet, the current regime won't be around long enough to make Edmonton pay anyhow.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Can we just get this kid signed already. :shakehead

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Very good question.

Unless Hamilton and his agent do want to wait for these offersheets offers and come back to the Bruins with the numbers as a negociation tactic?

Threatening to sign an offer sheet isn't usually a great way of saying that you're dedicated to the team... Dougie is very mature for his age and I bet he'll be a leader on this team soon enough. He has one of the biggest roles in the organization right now, and he's only 21. Besides Rask I think he's the #1 player we NEED to succeed.

They're willing to pay him 6-7m because of that... He's not worth that kind of money yet, but they're confident he'll fulfill his potential. They want him to be dedicated to the team and be one of the main 3 building blocks (Rask, Bergy), and we're putting a lot of trust and responsibility in him. Playing mercenary doesn't get you many brownie points with management... And I'd be willing to bet selfishness like that won't make you many friendships on the team, let alone get you a leadership role. I think Weber's situation was different. His team was lowballing him because they had an internal cap, and he was an elite player on a consistently underachieving team. To get the money he deserved, he needed to sign an offer sheet. Dougie is NOWHERE near that situation... Weber was a multiple Norris nominee when he signed one, Dougie hasn't proven that he's a #1 yet, let alone the best defenseman in the league. He's in no position to be demanding more money. He's lucky we're not laughing at his request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad