Status
Not open for further replies.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I've never worried about DH.

Yes he makes his fair share of mistakes and will continue to do so for awhile longer. He's still learning and thankfully he is learning from one of the best ever.

But I'm not worried- he's legit all the way.

Now, if he can just continue to stay healthy. THAT is what I worry about given the history of the Bruins defense corps through the decades.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Making some bad pinches in the neutral zone lately.

He's been doing this all year. He takes way too many risks. Sometimes it works out, and that reflects in his point totals, but usually it doesn't. I really thought he was going to take that next step this year, but he has been extremely disappointing IMO.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Maybe he just doesn't mesh well with Chara? It's possible their styles don't compliment one another.

He's been bad even when Chara was out with injury, plus Dougie has been just fine with Z in the past. Has nothing to do with style. It boils down to horrible decision making. Last night was a good example of a player making multiple bad decisions that hurt the team. Normally his bad decisions don't hurt the team too bad and people overlook them, but they've been there all year. We've all seen what the kid can do and know he has lots of talent. Hopefully he can get things sorted out in his head by the time the playoffs roll around. An effective Dougie adds a lot to this team.

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011
He's been doing this all year. He takes way too many risks. Sometimes it works out, and that reflects in his point totals, but usually it doesn't. I really thought he was going to take that next step this year, but he has been extremely disappointing IMO.

20140118002654!The_Next_Step_Hit_The_Floor_Tour_Promotional_Poster.jpg

jdz

May 22, 2013
Dougie is awesome for his age and considering its the hardest position to learn at NHL level.

He'll be fine.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Maybe he just doesn't mesh well with Chara? It's possible their styles don't compliment one another.

Been saying this since last year. He just doesn't play good with Chara. It makes him think too much. I think he's worried about screwing up or something.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
kids development has been refreshing

The mistakes or decision making at times are, well, precisely what I expect from a young D man

He`ll probably come in around 40pts....yeah, I`m not going to complain

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
No souring here. He's made his mistakes this year but kid is 21. He'll learn. Has the skillset. Needs to realize his strength and lean towards making the higher percentage pass but at the same time I think they're trying to utilize more of his natural ability and they're giving him a longer leash.

I like the kid. See plenty of good things but at the same time, I'd like to see another top4 RH d-man in the mix.

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013

He really doesn't need to play like Karlsson to be effective either, that's whats so damn frustrating about it! He's get his confidence back. I"m sure Clode has been all over him on some of these mishaps.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Fans think what they want to think. The sad truth is that the offense and the skating is there but if he was ever going to be a dominant D man he'd be better by now. Doughty was leading team Canada to a Gold at his age and missed part of a season before winning a Cup.

Hes a 2nd pairing D man who will score like a first pairing guy and will cost a ton and have to be paid like a first pairing guy since hes big and produces points. Not going to be a top end shut down guy. Please trade him for one if we can do it do not trade him for a forward unless they are an all star and young (Hall.)

90% of this board will insist Bergeron is a better player than Crosby or Malkin because they want to and 90% of this board wouldn't trade him for anything no matter how much it improved the team though.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Fans think what they want to think. The sad truth is that the offense and the skating is there but if he was ever going to be a dominant D man he'd be better by now. Doughty was leading team Canada to a Gold at his age and missed part of a season before winning a Cup.

Hes a 2nd pairing D man who will score like a first pairing guy and will cost a ton and have to be paid like a first pairing guy since hes big and produces points. Not going to be a top end shut down guy. Please trade him for one if we can do it do not trade him for a forward unless they are an all star and young (Hall.)

90% of this board will insist Bergeron is a better player than Crosby or Malkin because they want to and 90% of this board wouldn't trade him for anything no matter how much it improved the team though.

Man by your logic, Chris Pronger and Zdeno Chara would be pretty bad hockey players because they sure as hell weren't at Doughty's level at 21 years old either. ****, might as well just dump him for draft picks while we are at it.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Fans do not like the fact he not physical enough for his size.I think he is progressing great and best part was last year in playoff loss to habs he played super.He showed when stakes rise his play will rise.Lots of goalposts was difference in that series.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
He's had some lapses this year, that said he's also had some moments of brilliance. To top it off, the team is consistently playing positive possession hockey with he and Z on the ice. Now if the few shots you're giving up against are breakaways that's obviously not ideal :laugh:, but all signs point upward for the kid.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA

How many defencemen, besides doughty, that are currently in the NHL are there that were as good as Dougie is at age 21? Or as good as he was in the playoffs last year at 20?

He's going through a slump now, battling the puck alot but he was easily our best defenceman for the first 1/3-1/2 of the season and stepped up when Chara went down. In the 19 games without Chara, Dougie put up 4g-11a-15p and a +6 playing big minutes and the team went 11-6-1.

I don't like the way him and Chara are currently playing together but they have shown in the past to work pretty well together. I think Dougie can really help with z's lack of mobility but It's tough because DH is the guy you want pushing the pace and stepping up in the play and while Z can help cover for guys in his own end he needs someone to do the same for him in the offensive and neutral zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad