LeBrun: Dougie Hamilton Expected Out Until Playoffs - NJD have $9 Million LTIR to Spend

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
LeBrun seems to forget the letter and warning teams received before the playoffs started last season. This will NOT be allowed anymore. The NHL will go over his medicals, and won’t allow any funny business IF the player plans on returning for the playoffs. Several players had to be taken off LTIR before the playoffs started last season EVEN if their time frame for return went longer.

They won’t get away with just saying 4-6 months anymore. He’ll be forced to be activated before the playoffs, if they believe he’ll return.

They’d be playing with fire if they try it, and the league is just looking for someone to test them on this, so they can drop the hammer….

I kinda have the feeling that players need to be in pretty solid shape for the NHL to be able to force them into playing.

In the sense that, Hamilton might come back for game 1 of the playoffs, yet not be medically cleared yet enough for the NHL to say anything about him not playing in the RS.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Only players who are deemed out for the season, including playoffs, should ever be allowed to go on LTIR.

Now, I don't think we're gonna have to worry about NJ winning the Cup this year because let's face it, they aren't. But it's pretty clear and obvious that this is a problem that needs fixing YESTERDAY.

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Really. Who was it?

Sami Salo only played 27 regular season games with the team after being injured in the off-season, he also did a 3 game conditioning stint in the AHL. He returned when Edler suffered a back injury in January and had "lingering tightness" up until the second last game of the regular season, shortly after Malhotra got injured.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Hahah I really don't see how this is still allowed. Even if it isn't on purpose, salary cap should apply in the playoffs, you shouldn't be able to operate 9mil above the cap.
I mean, if we're talking playoffs start April 17th, and he's ready to go when NJD played their last game on April 15th, yeah, that's pretty iffy. But if we're talking he's ready to go early May and misses several games of the first round, I don't really see how one can paint this as some of the previous comparable. I don't think it's as easy as just making the salary cap stand.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I mean, if we're talking playoffs start April 17th, and he's ready to go when NJD played their last game on April 15th, yeah, that's pretty iffy. But if we're talking he's ready to go early May and misses several games of the first round, I don't really see how one can paint this as some of the previous comparable. I don't think it's as easy as just making the salary cap stand.

I get your point completely, it's not so much about NJD trying to cheat, as I truly don't think they are purposely trying to do so. It's more so this loophole in general gives teams an unfair advantage, this has been evident for years.

The down side of closing this is it isn't technically fair for the players. Hamilton gets injured, NJD fills the cap space in order to make playoffs, then when Hamilton comes back, there's no cap room to activate him. I can understand why that may not be fair either.

With that said, there's a way to do this, it just needs to get thought about and done.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Hahah I really don't see how this is still allowed. Even if it isn't on purpose, salary cap should apply in the playoffs, you shouldn't be able to operate 9mil above the cap.
Wouldn't be the first time.

E6JX3UtWQAMspE4.jpg

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would definitely argue this is far from the right time for the Devils to go all-in. Maybe things change between now and the deadline, but I would much rather the Devils be strategic with this 9 million.

The best way to use this, in my opinion, would be to trade for a goalie that they ordinarily would not have been able to fit. Before the Hamilton injury, the options to patch up the goalie position were cheaper band-aid options like Stolarz or Comrie.

Now they have some cap space where they could go after a potential difference maker like Gibson or Markstrom, have them tandem with Vanecek, and then re-evaluate VV in the off-season. I’m sure there might be some other names they could target, but they could go after a multi-year goalie other teams just can’t afford and keep VV this year (Saros?). Some of these goalie contracts are brutal though.

Reactions: TBF1972 and HBK27

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hey Devils, you could add a 40g scorer in Jake Guentzel at the TDL to bolster your forward group. We could add Nedeljkovich to beef up the net as well. Penguins could take back a contract and a BUG with the payment being either a premium asset or a 2025 1st + 2024 2nd.

Guentzel - Hischier - Meier
Toffoli - Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Mercer - Holtz
Haula - McLeod - Bastian/Lazar

I'd root for you guys as an added bonus.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Hey Devils, you could add a 40g scorer in Jake Guentzel at the TDL to bolster your forward group. We could add Nedeljkovich to beef up the net as well. Penguins could take back a contract and a BUG with the payment being either a premium asset or a 2025 1st + 2024 2nd.

Guentzel - Hischier - Meier
Toffoli - Hughes - Bratt
Palat - Mercer - Holtz
Haula - McLeod - Bastian/Lazar

I'd root for you guys as an added bonus.
Devils dont have any “spare contracts” and don’t really need any more forwards. The core is deep and young with Hischier, Hughes, Bratt, Meier, Mercer, and potentially Holtz. Moving forward, it’s better to just stick with those guys and compliment them with veteran additions like Toffoli.

If we’re giving up premium assets, it’s for a defender or a goaltender.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Devils dont have any “spare contracts” and don’t really need any more forwards. The core is deep and young with Hischier, Hughes, Bratt, Meier, Mercer, and potentially Holtz. Moving forward, it’s better to just stick with those guys and compliment them with veteran additions like Toffoli.

If we’re giving up premium assets, it’s for a defender or a goaltender.
but Nedeljkovich...

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I view this different from Kucherov incident everyone references.

Without him waiting so long for surgery and sitting out all season the Tampa Bay Lightning were above the cap.

Correct me if I am wrong and preferably a non Tampa Fan but was he not skating and looking pretty damn good 3 weeks before the playoffs. Then looked amazing during game 1.

Kane Hamilton Stone Heck throw in other names get injured during the season.

I'd absolutely make a rule that says if you have a signed multi year contract (not an elc) if you can't play a single game during the regular season you can not play in the playoffs.

Only reason I felt it was wrong for the Lightning.

Players get injured.

Reactions: wintersej

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Once the cap starts rising again:
A player being on LTIR post trade deadline should = player not eligible for playoffs.
Tweak the regular IR rules a bit if needed but the current LTIR thing is "not in the spirit"
IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4