LeBrun: Dougie Hamilton Expected Out Until Playoffs - NJD have $9 Million LTIR to Spend

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Hahah I really don't see how this is still allowed. Even if it isn't on purpose, salary cap should apply in the playoffs, you shouldn't be able to operate 9mil above the cap.
“Fixing” it would create other issues that need to be fixed and so on, whether with the trade deadline or a CBA war trying to change entirely how players pay works. It’s based on 82 games. League would rather teams have the chance to make the playoffs even if they might go “over the cap” than not be able to save their season with a trade. But also the league isn’t going to make valuable stars sit out of the playoffs because they returned too late. That would just be dumb having say, Hamilton or Kucherov sit the playoffs. Entertainment wise you want them playing

Salary cap was never truly about parity anyway, it keeps contracts down. Keep the money split between players and owners. That’s literally it. Regardless all teams have the same rules. Thing is teams have to be good enough to survive losing a star for an extended period. That’s part of the “competitive” in competitive sports

The Devils hardly look like a “definite” playoff team right now so I doubt they’d make this decision lightly

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'd put money that Tanev/Hanifin will be a Devil. They can absorb their contracts and they have some nice assets.
Would love to see a Hanifin-Hamilton pairing in the playoffs. Not just because they were traded for each other, but to see just how much of a disaster they’d be if paired

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Hahah I really don't see how this is still allowed. Even if it isn't on purpose, salary cap should apply in the playoffs, you shouldn't be able to operate 9mil above the cap.

Ok but then there is no trade deadline deal making. All those guys are only able to be added because of banking cap space.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Curious to see if the Devils will spend significant futures to patch things up to get into the playoffs.
I think they have to now. This extra free 9 mill with hopefully Hamilton back to 100 percent at playoffs get a goalie

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
LeBrun seems to forget the letter and warning teams received before the playoffs started last season. This will NOT be allowed anymore. The NHL will go over his medicals, and won’t allow any funny business IF the player plans on returning for the playoffs. Several players had to be taken off LTIR before the playoffs started last season EVEN if their time frame for return went longer.

They won’t get away with just saying 4-6 months anymore. He’ll be forced to be activated before the playoffs, if they believe he’ll return.

They’d be playing with fire if they try it, and the league is just looking for someone to test them on this, so they can drop the hammer….

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
Wait…. Why is nobody freaking out about this? Conspiracy’s??? Cheating?! Oh wait it’s the Devils it’s fine

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
LeBrun seems to forget the letter and warning teams received before the playoffs started last season. This will NOT be allowed anymore. The NHL will go over his medicals, and won’t allow any funny business IF the player plans on returning for the playoffs. Several players had to be taken off LTIR before the playoffs started last season EVEN if their time frame for return went longer.

They won’t get away with just saying 4-6 months anymore. He’ll be forced to be activated before the playoffs, if they believe he’ll return.

They’d be playing with fire if they try it, and the league is just looking for someone to test them on this, so they can drop the hammer….

The league deciding to punish the Devils for something they previously allowed would be very on brand.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

I'm not overly concerned about it. I don't think the devils would be trending this way with using the money in a season where they haven't been very good if they weren't starting to feel reasonably sure he's out until then. The injury has a recovery timeframe that can go a full month into the playoffs from when it happened

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Lol. Yeah, I bet he'll be fully recovered just in time for game 1 of the playoffs.
Difference is NJ is fighting just to get into the playoffs and could have used Dougie badly. Vegas was comfortably in a playoff spot.

I tend to agree but I’d be a little more lenient. For example, any player coming off LTIR come playoff time cannot play in the first round.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

Unless you're Kucherov

Reactions: Shark Finn

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia