Confirmed with Link: Doug Lidster named to Canucks coaching staff

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
From the province...seems like Melanson is possibly gone?

Lidster is the only official assistant coach, though both Glen Gulutzan and Rollie Melanson are still expected to be on the staff when the season starts.

“We’re still going to through a bit of a process with Rolls,†Desjardins said.

“But (Gulutzan and Melanson) are basically official. I’m going to talk to them. The only thing is if there are different roles they’re not quite as familiar with, or want.

“Maybe there is a little bit of a change.

“They’re both real good guys and they’ve done a real good job for us.â€

Melanson has not been at the Canucks prospects camp, where some expected him to be working with Thatcher Demko, the promising goalie Vancouver drafted with the 36th overall pick in June.

As for Gulutzan, Desjardin was asked specifically who is going to run his power play.

“We have to sit down and discuss that as a group,†the head coach said.

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
Well that would be idiotic. Are we going to promote Cloutier? :shakehead

I don't understand ANYONE who would be against promoting Dan Cloutier as a goaltending coach (if Melanson didn't want the job, etc.).

Melanson was a career backup. Francoise Allaire played about the same level of hockey I did. Ian Clarke played for UBC.

Hell, Willie Desjardins only made it to the CIAU.

There is no evidence that success in one's playing career=success as a coach.

Magic Johnson won 5 of 16 games as a coach, then said "screw it."

Wayne Gretzky missed the playoffs for 4 years with Phoenix as a coach, then said "screw it."

Right now, three young up and coming coaches are in the Canucks organization; Travis Green, Nolan Baumgartner, and Dan Cloutier.

All three were first round picks. All 3 has underwhelming NHL playing careers. But that means nothing in terms of their abilities as coaches.

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I don't understand ANYONE who would be against promoting Dan Cloutier as a goaltending coach (if Melanson didn't want the job, etc.).

Melanson was a career backup. Francoise Allaire played about the same level of hockey I did. Ian Clarke played for UBC.

Hell, Willie Desjardins only made it to the CIAU.

There is no evidence that success in one's playing career=success as a coach.

Magic Johnson won 5 of 16 games as a coach, then said "screw it."

Wayne Gretzky missed the playoffs for 4 years with Phoenix as a coach, then said "screw it."

Right now, three young up and coming coaches are in the Canucks organization; Travis Green, Nolan Baumgartner, and Dan Cloutier.

All three were first round picks. All 3 has underwhelming NHL playing careers. But that means nothing in terms of their abilities as coaches.

How about you forget all this 'what level did they play at' and tell me what guys Cloutier has brought along at the minor, major junior, minor pro or pro level?

Most of the goalie coaches in the league were journeyman NHLers at best. But they've also been goalie coaches for a long time and had at least a couple of young blue chip prospects they've coached. He's been a consultant in Chicago ... and yet every guy we've brought up has shown more improvement when Melanson has gotten his hands on them. I see Cloutier had one year with the Colts ... I don't remember anyone good coming out of the organization while he was there.

Furthermore, please provide me with information that's going to tell me that he knows how to coach a modern butterfly style when he was a hybrid goaltender. I don't want him promoted because we've already got a guy in Melanson with an excellent track record at the pro level, and Cloutier doesn't appear to have accomplished much since we hired him in 2012.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad