Doug Gilmour in St. Louis and Calgary.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Yeah, he could have. There are always centres playing the wing on these teams. Also, Gretzky and Lemieux could have played together. Many other possibilities.

My point is that Gilmour, even at his best, was not quite as good as some people believe he was. Although, players like Gilmour are always extremely valuable.
Either way there's no way he doesnt make that roster that year. I think he's better than most people think he is because his career highlights before Toronto are so overlooked or forgotten.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Either way there's no way he doesnt make that roster that year. I think he's better than most people think he is because his career highlights before Toronto are so overlooked or forgotten.
I agree...I mentioned in my first post of the thread that I think his St. Louis and Calgary years are underrated. He really developed into a great all-around player during those years. I saw him play quite a lot, I probably watched all of Calgary's games in the '89 playoffs - Gilmour was dynamic.

Reactions: Tarantula

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
I agree...I mentioned in my first post of the thread that I think his St. Louis and Calgary years are underrated. He really developed into a great all-around player during those years. I saw him play quite a lot, I probably watched all of Calgary's games in the '89 playoffs - Gilmour was dynamic.
I figured as much. But I'm definately one of those people who has him higher than most.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
It's a shame Blues ownership panicked and forced Caron to trade away Doug Gilmour. Wish they stayed patient and just let the whole thing blow over. Hull with Gilmour and Oates as your top 2 Centers would of been something in St. Louis.

Gilmour was just a great hockey player. A complete player both offensively and defensively. Played with passion and was a big time clutch player. His hockey IQ was off the charts. Should of been a Blue for life.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
As everyone knows, Doug Gilmour is one of the most popular Leafs ever. His play from 1992-94 was some of the most dominant and inspired two-way hockey in NHL history, especially in the playoffs. His relatively short peak in Toronto is so revered that he remains a folk hero in this city and the rabid love of Leaf fans of a certain age will lead some to say that he is somewhat overrated because of it. I won't dispute that: leafs stars have a habit of becoming overrated before they are (often) ran out of town.

However I will maintain that his play in St Louis and Calgary is criminally underrated, especially his 86-87 season and his 89 playoffs. I was born in the late 80s and have seen a lot more footage of him with Calgary than in St Louis but for those who are old enough to remember I must ask: just how good was he really? based on what I've seen he looks like pretty much the same player as in Toronto and for me he's in my top 100 (not the most popular opinion). Whereabouts might some of you rank him?

I said it often at the time when he was lighting it up in Toronto, but the best hockey I ever saw him play was a Calgary Flame, not a Maple Leaf.

Those teams were deeper and he wasn't expected to shoulder so much of the work, but his play in the 1989 playoffs was the best i ever saw from him. He was two-way dynamite and he couldn't be contained.

His 1986 playoff I didn't see as much of. I only saw him play one full round that spring, but the 1989 Flames I saw virtually every game and he was truly incredible.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I said it often at the time when he was lighting it up in Toronto, but the best hockey I ever saw him play was a Calgary Flame, not a Maple Leaf.
Maybe you will say it's the Toronto media but how come when others talk about Gilmour's time in the NHL he is most known for his time as a Maple Leaf especially during the 1993 and 1994 seasons, even though they still acknowledge him winning a Cup with the Flames in 1989. In 1993 he had a total of 127 points, won the Selke and was 2nd in voting the Hart Trophy.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
As a Devils fan who was partial to both the mid-80s Flames and Blues teams (even own a Rick Wamsley jersey for some reason) when our team was terrible and I needed someone to root for during the playoffs....

Dougie Gilmour was a favorite of mine, and almost the prototypical two-way gritty center with skill. I'll agree with alot of previous posters that I think he may have actually been better in Calgary than in a Leafs uniform - and his early career is underrated... The point that 'he got a bigger role on the Leafs and ran with it' is spot on for me -

This has got me thinking what an interesting phenomenon it is: that distinctive feeling you get as a fan when a certain player steps on the ice. "presence"

I mean - Gretzky/Lemieux etc obviously had it - and when you judge Top100 all-time, it is worthy to note that Gilmour certainly had it in abundance and especially with the Flames.

Some of the others mentioned as comparables (LaFontaine, Brind'amour) maybe didn't engender quite that same feeling.

Just my opinion - and a completely non-stats-based take.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Maybe you will say it's the Toronto media but how come when others talk about Gilmour's time in the NHL he is most known for his time as a Maple Leaf especially during the 1993 and 1994 seasons, even though they still acknowledge him winning a Cup with the Flames in 1989. In 1993 he had a total of 127 points, won the Selke and was 2nd in voting the Hart Trophy.

I'd maybe float the idea that Gilmour was on the forefront of creating an identity for a team that hadn't been THAT successful recently, and would go on to much greater success in succeeding years. Fanbases remember the guys at the vanguard of that pivot point.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

How could I be expected to answer that? I have no clue how or why other people perceive Doug Gilmour's career.

All I am saying is the best hockey I ever saw him play was in the 1989 Stanley Cup playoffs. He was great with the Maple Leafs, put a mediocre team on his back and carried them team into the playoffs. I'm not taking anything away from those efforts, I'm just saying the best hockey *I* ever saw him play was as a Calgary Flame.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Dougie Gilmour was a favorite of mine, and almost the prototypical two-way gritty center with skill. I'll agree with alot of previous posters that I think he may have actually been better in Calgary than in a Leafs uniform - and his early career is underrated... The point that 'he got a bigger role on the Leafs and ran with it' is spot on for me
Of course fulfilling a bigger role means having more of an impact, which is why 92/93 and 93/94 are remembered as his best seasons+playoffs. He also had a huge role in 86/87 as "The Man" in St. Louis, when Federko got injured, and which is one of the most strangely obscure "peak" seasons by a HoFer I can think of.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
This is slanderous and false. You don't seem to have the details correct but that doesn't stop you from posting them.

This isn't slanderous I said he was accused, which he was.

Given the amount of perversion Toronto fans are willing to put up with, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest how revered he is there.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How could I be expected to answer that? I have no clue how or why other people perceive Doug Gilmour's career.

All I am saying is the best hockey I ever saw him play was in the 1989 Stanley Cup playoffs. He was great with the Maple Leafs, put a mediocre team on his back and carried them team into the playoffs. I'm not taking anything away from those efforts, I'm just saying the best hockey *I* ever saw him play was as a Calgary Flame.
I remember when it was announced that Gilmour made the Hall of Fame there was some people who thought he didn't deserve it and only got in because he played in Toronto. I didn't want to use a negative example but it's the first one that came to my mind where others remember him for only his time as a Maple Leaf.

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Given the amount of perversion Toronto fans are willing to put up with, it doesn't surprise me in the slightest how revered he is there.
And I'm sure your favorite sports franchise has NEVER had any star players whose off-ice conduct was called into question.....whether or not the allegations(key word) were true.

Last edited:

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
This is slanderous and false. You don't seem to have the details correct but that doesn't stop you from posting them.

Besides not understanding the difference between stating someone did something vs. stating someone was accused of doing something, you're entirely wrong.

Slander is spoken; in print, it's libel. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad